By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gran Turismo Becomes an Official Olympic Sport (+More E-sports at Olympics)

Tagged games:

Thats amazing. Somehow expected. Because the first time I watched a gran turismo race I was baffled. It just looks like real racing. Plus comentators, narrators, the camera takes on the pilots. Its really amazing and the only esport I can watch.

Around the Network
kirby007 said:

Im suprised by the general stance here that gaming isnt considered a sport

Probably because most of us here are a sad bunch of loners who dont like teamwork, unless it involves tag team trolling of those who don't support our console/ pc views. plus we're really old arthritic gamers who's online strategy involves camping and more camping because it's all we can do  but lets face it the main  reason is we can't think of a cool team name.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

This is huge news, it should signal to the mainstream sporting scene that e-gaming is here to stay!

I dont think i can ever call a gamer, a Olympian.

For an old fart, I actually feel pretty open minded about this. Everything needs to change with the times, so why not the Olympics? In ancient times, the Olympics were very much derived from different combat abilities (Like the javelin, wrestling and such) and has slowly evolved into different, more modern things that aren't directly linked to warfare and fighting anymore. I think e-sports has earned a spot in the games, it might not be about the pinnacle of human physical prowess, but they take it very seriously on the highest level and requires a certain skill set just like any other sport. I'd venture to say it's even physically more demanding than some of the current Olympic sports.