By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Which is better?

3DS 37 54.41%

PSP 31 45.59%

Total:68

PSP for me.
In my opinion, the PSP was the best portable console of all time. It had an incredible library of games that I simply couldn't believe we're running on a handheld. And it had a list of features that were so new to me at the time. My PSP was basically my smart phone of the day.

Around the Network

This is a closer one for me than the Vita/3DS poll but I've still gone with the 3DS. Just has a great library of games.

PSP was awesome for its time though and was probably the first handheld to bring near console-quality performances on the go.

I never owned a PSP, but I have to say in terms of impact on gaming it definitely did more. The PSP was the first handheld to really have home console experiences on, something that ironically probably influenced the 3DS. The PSP changed the concept of what a handheld is supposed to do with its power, edge.. I mean GTA on the go? What a time we lived in! On the opposite side, it did have its droughts and really in its latter life was given a second lease of life by Monster Hunter which completely revived the console in Japan.

The 3DS is definitely considered the weakest of the Nintendo handhelds in terms of impact. It's the least selling one and probably the one handheld that had obstacles from its conception (price, 3D blur, competition vs mobiles...). It just could not shake away the success of the previous console, the DS. It looked like it and really aside from 3D, it wasn't distinct from it, at least in the eyes of the consumer. That said, it did rise up to the challenge and delivered some of the best handheld games for its time. The PS Vita's performance showcases how tough that period was for handhelds and it performed admirably delivering on some great gaming experiences along the way. Additionally, while the the 3D concept is a novelty for the most part, it did have some cool features and that makes it quit a unique console experience. Also one of its best features: backward compatibility.

Imo it is a tough one. If I were to judge the consoles for impact, the PSP definitely was more influential. Even having not owned one, it was the talk of the town for a while and definitely made handhelds "cool". That said, it struggled to deliver consistent gaming experiences especially towards the tail end, whilst the 3DS had a solid library with the addition of having access to the DS's!

Result: I would vote for the PSP. It just had a bit more umph and it was truly the first and only handheld to compete with Nintendo. It deserves a marker for that!

PSP.

Machina said:

I can't really speak for the 3DS because I never owned one.

I'll make a small case for the PSP though. It has some great titles and a lot of solid ones underneath that too. I had no interest in most of its biggest releases - the GTAs, the Metal Gears, the God of Wars, the Final Fantasies, no interest whatsoever - and yet there were still plenty of games that did interest me, which speaks to the depth of its library. Plus there was a lot of breadth in terms of genres. Its library, like the platform in general, is seriously overlooked - perhaps because of what followed it.

And I know the Vita has its dedicated fans, but well... I bought one at launch and I don't think I played it for more than a few months, despite being able to appreciate that it's a great bit of kit; in short, I gave up on it sooner than Sony did, and that's saying something. That has somewhat tainted the PSP's legacy I think, although even before the Vita came along the PSP was under-estimated (the frigging thing sold over 80 million - 80 million! That's almost on the same level as the Xbox 360 and PS3, which always blows my mind).

Hardware sales, yeah. Software sales, no.

Leynos said:

I'd throw 3DS in the trash if I could get SMTIV and DQVII on Switch. Such a boring system with a lame library overall for a handheld.

What about SMTIV Apocalypse, SMT: Devil Summoner - Soul Hackers, SMT Strange Jouney Redux, SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked, SMT: Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker, Persona Q and Q2?

curl-6 said:
ice said:

Poll:3DS

It's close though, they're almost tied in votes.

Next time will be psp vs ds and ds vs vita, right? This will be a lot of fun.

Around the Network

PSP was an amazing system, but suffered from not having a second analog stick. Also suffered from not having a good piracy protection. It's games would have sold much mush more if it wasnt for it.

With the 3DS I have access to the DS library so its no contest for me ;) 3DS.

EnricoPallazzo said:

PSP was an amazing system, but suffered from not having a second analog stick. Also suffered from not having a good piracy protection. It's games would have sold much mush more if it wasnt for it.

DS piracy situation is even worse.

EnricoPallazzo said:

I think the real issue of the PSP is the screen. Now, back then we didn't notice it but today the ghosting is horrendous.

Now, they tried to fix it with newer iterations (though, 2000's screen >>>>>>>>> 3000's screen) but it really is hard to play it on the actual handheld itself no matter what version you have.

HoangNhatAnh said:
Machina said:

I can't really speak for the 3DS because I never owned one.

I'll make a small case for the PSP though. It has some great titles and a lot of solid ones underneath that too. I had no interest in most of its biggest releases - the GTAs, the Metal Gears, the God of Wars, the Final Fantasies, no interest whatsoever - and yet there were still plenty of games that did interest me, which speaks to the depth of its library. Plus there was a lot of breadth in terms of genres. Its library, like the platform in general, is seriously overlooked - perhaps because of what followed it.

And I know the Vita has its dedicated fans, but well... I bought one at launch and I don't think I played it for more than a few months, despite being able to appreciate that it's a great bit of kit; in short, I gave up on it sooner than Sony did, and that's saying something. That has somewhat tainted the PSP's legacy I think, although even before the Vita came along the PSP was under-estimated (the frigging thing sold over 80 million - 80 million! That's almost on the same level as the Xbox 360 and PS3, which always blows my mind).

Hardware sales, yeah. Software sales, no.

Leynos said:

I'd throw 3DS in the trash if I could get SMTIV and DQVII on Switch. Such a boring system with a lame library overall for a handheld.

What about SMTIV Apocalypse, SMT: Devil Summoner - Soul Hackers, SMT Strange Jouney Redux, SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked, SMT: Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker, Persona Q and Q2?

curl-6 said:

It's close though, they're almost tied in votes.

Next time will be psp vs ds and ds vs vita, right? This will be a lot of fun.

You live to argue for 3DS. SMTIV:A  is not very welcomed by many SMT fans. The rest you mentioned are ports and IDGAF about Persona Q with that chibi crap. I mean I can play Devil Summoner on my SEGA Saturn. So not exactly 3DS exclusive. PSP has mecha games for me where 3DS doesn't. PSP has Shmups. One of those is Darius which is a series I love. 3DS does not. PS has some of the best versions of Ys. 3DS has none. PSP has some great Vanillaware games. 3DS does not. PSP has real Persona games. 3DS does not. PSP has some great exclusive Beat Em ups like Kenka Bancho and others. 3DS does not. PSP has some exclusive Phantasy Star-like PSOP. 3DS does not.

PSP has much more variety in genres than 3DS. But hey if we want to talk old ports. PSP has Dreamcast ports & other Saturn ports. PS1 ports. PS2 ports that appeal me a lot more. 3DS has the least variation of any handheld I ever owned.  Where Switch is maybe Nintendo's best. Switch has the kind of stuff I mentioned and more. 3DS is a lame duck.

Last edited by Leynos - on 27 April 2021

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!