By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts March 2021 Discussion Thread

Up, up, and away.
Really goes to show that Switch is managing to appeal to audiences that neither the Wii U nor 3DS were able to win over.

Around the Network

It's really funny that Switch vs. Wii U + 3DS was close for about 3 years.  Then that 4th year Switch takes off like a rocket.  The underlying factors in this comparison were pretty different for Switch vs. the other systems, but it still looked close there at first.

I guarantee... If and When The Switch's sales pass PS4 & keep going, people will cite the Covid Pandemic as the only factor that allowed it to succeed.

JSG87 said:

I guarantee... If and When The Switch's sales pass PS4 & keep going, people will cite the Covid Pandemic as the only factor that allowed it to succeed.

Yep. Every time Nintendo succeeds people always try to write it off as undeserved and a fluke. It only sold because it had a gimmick that appealed to casuals, it only sold because of the pandemic, etc.

Was this the last month aligned with PS4's holidays? Or is April aligned with PS4's December?

Around the Network

PS4 Black Friday counts as November right?

PD: not to annoy or anything trunkswd, but somehow Xenoblade is $39.99 right now. Was interesting for me to see it at that price just after mentioning it.

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs 3DS and Wii U Sales Comparison - March 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide Nintendo Switch sales with the combined Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U sales.

Switch Vs. 3DS and Wii U Global:

Gap change in latest month: 1,858,005 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 17,546,212 - Switch

Total Lead: 19,098,145 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 83,002,448

3DS and Wii U Total Sales: 63,904,303

March 2021 is the 49th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 1.86 million units when compared to the combined sales of the 3DS and Wii U during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months, the gap has grown in favor of the Switch by 17.55 million units. The Switch leads by 19.10 million units.

The 3DS launched in February 2011 (however, 3DS sales have been aligned to March 2011, since it only launched at the end of February in Japan), the Wii U launched in November 2012, and the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. The holiday periods between the Switch and 3DS lineup, however, the Wii U holiday is offset from the Switch.

The 49th month for the Nintendo Switch is March 2021, for the Nintendo 3DS it is March 2015 and for the Wii U it is September 2016. The Switch has sold 83.00 million units, while the 3DS and Wii U have sold 63.91 million units during the same timeframe. The 3DS and Wii U did not reach current Switch sales until month 82.

The 3DS and Wii U have sold 89.49 million units lifetime. The Switch is 6.49 million units behind the 3DS and Wii U.

I think there has been a mix up, the post mentions Switch vs 3DS and Wii U but the graphs are Switch vs PS4 in the US. 

Signature goes here!

Nearly there, soon Xbone's final stronghold shall fall to the Switch. 2 more months basically guarantees it.

Switch needs another 5.36m in Japan to surpass 3DS's lifetime total. It may end up doing this by the end of this year.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Nearly there, soon Xbone's final stronghold shall fall to the Switch. 2 more months basically guarantees it.

This one and a couple of other sales comparisons I have going are going to end in the next handful of months. I could use some new ideas for PS5 and Xbox Series X|S. The weekly PS5 vs XS vs Switch - PS5 vs PS4 - XS vs X1 I plan on turning into monthly sales comparison articles at some point. 

PS5 vs PS3? XS vs X360? 

Switch vs Vita or I walk!

For PS5 & XS, obviously there is the predecessor comparison in each region & overall, but for comparisons between companies they are more interesting when it's a close race so America seems to be the best region for this eg:
XS vs PS4 or PS3
PS5 vs X1 or X360

At the moment available data points to PS5 & XS following a similar sales trajectory to their predecessors, just slightly outperforming them, so unless we see a change in that the most interesting gap charts will involve the Switch. At the moment I think you only have that one gap chart that's not launch aligned, could have Switch vs PS4 global &/or USA as the lines will clearly meet at some point. (probably Dec this year for Switch overtaking PS4 in USA, & second half of next year globally)

Or you could go a little out of the box, XS vs 3DS in Europe? PS5 vs Vita in Japan?