By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts March 2021 Discussion Thread

Unless PS4 and Xbone get a defibrillator charge to arrest their decline, it looks like PS3 and 360 got this, and frankly they deserve it more too.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Unless PS4 and Xbone get a defibrillator charge to arrest their decline, it looks like PS3 and 360 got this, and frankly they deserve it more too.

One price cut of 50$ on both should fix the situation .. however the chance is little to none.

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

One price cut of 50$ on both should fix the situation .. however the chance is little to none.

I don't think that would make much difference for the Xbone as it has gotten steep discounts for years now without it helping sales much.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
yo33331 said:

I don't think that would make much difference for the Xbone as it has gotten steep discounts for years now without it helping sales much.

Okay, then permanent price cut to 199$ for both should make difference for both. But it won't happen.

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

Okay, then permanent price cut to 199$ for both should make difference for both. But it won't happen.

The reason a price cut doesn't matter is because Sony and MS seem to have essentially stopped producing PS4/XB1 consoles since the pandemic started and have already started focusing on the new gen.  They can make them $99 if they want but if they don't make any more then they won't sell any more.

SW-3707-5131-3911

Around the Network

Share the article here.

Switch vs PS4 Sales Comparison - March 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 4.

Switch Vs. PS4 Global:

Gap change in latest month: 1,045,419 - PS4

Gap change over last 12 months: 8,403,736 - Switch

Total Lead: 13,388,333 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 82,927,448

PS4 Total Sales: 69,539,115

March 2021 is the 49th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 4 by 1.05 million units when compared to the Switch during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the PlayStation 4 by 8.40 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the PlayStation 4 by 13.39 million units.

The PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

The 49th month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is March 2021, while for the PlayStation 4 it is November 2017. The Switch has sold 82.93 million units, while the PlayStation 4 sold 69.54 million units during the same timeframe. The PlayStation 4 did not reach current Switch sales until month 59.

The PlayStation 4 has sold 115.31 million units through March 2021. The Nintendo Switch is currently 32.38 million units behind the lifetime sales of the PlayStation 4.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Impressive hold for Switch given this month was aligned with one of PS4's biggest holiday seasons.

And when you put it like that, 32.38m behind PS4's lifetime sales, at the rate Switch is selling and with PS4 having slowed to a crawl, the result is almost guaranteed.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 27 April 2021

Share the article here.

Switch vs 3DS and Wii U Sales Comparison - March 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide Nintendo Switch sales with the combined Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U sales.

Switch Vs. 3DS and Wii U Global:

Gap change in latest month: 1,858,005 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 17,546,212 - Switch

Total Lead: 19,098,145 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 83,002,448

3DS and Wii U Total Sales: 63,904,303

March 2021 is the 49th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 1.86 million units when compared to the combined sales of the 3DS and Wii U during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months, the gap has grown in favor of the Switch by 17.55 million units. The Switch leads by 19.10 million units.

The 3DS launched in February 2011 (however, 3DS sales have been aligned to March 2011, since it only launched at the end of February in Japan), the Wii U launched in November 2012, and the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. The holiday periods between the Switch and 3DS lineup, however, the Wii U holiday is offset from the Switch.

The 49th month for the Nintendo Switch is March 2021, for the Nintendo 3DS it is March 2015 and for the Wii U it is September 2016. The Switch has sold 83.00 million units, while the 3DS and Wii U have sold 63.91 million units during the same timeframe. The 3DS and Wii U did not reach current Switch sales until month 82.

The 3DS and Wii U have sold 89.49 million units lifetime. The Switch is 6.49 million units behind the 3DS and Wii U.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Up, up, and away.
Really goes to show that Switch is managing to appeal to audiences that neither the Wii U nor 3DS were able to win over.

It's really funny that Switch vs. Wii U + 3DS was close for about 3 years.  Then that 4th year Switch takes off like a rocket.  The underlying factors in this comparison were pretty different for Switch vs. the other systems, but it still looked close there at first.