By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts March 2021 Discussion Thread

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Switch needs another 5.36m in Japan to surpass 3DS's lifetime total. It may end up doing this by the end of this year.

And to think that many saw outselling the 3DS as a lost cause when the switch was still trailing by 3 million. Given the upset that the switch just pulled here, I wouldn't be surprised if the Switch saw a similar reversal of fortunes in Europe. Perhaps 50 million there could still be an attainable goal, though certainly not one I am currently betting on

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Nearly there, soon Xbone's final stronghold shall fall to the Switch. 2 more months basically guarantees it.

This one and a couple of other sales comparisons I have going are going to end in the next handful of months. I could use some new ideas for PS5 and Xbox Series X|S. The weekly PS5 vs XS vs Switch - PS5 vs PS4 - XS vs X1 I plan on turning into monthly sales comparison articles at some point. 

PS5 vs PS3? XS vs X360? 

It's such a shame we don't have data prior to 7th gen otherwise PS5 vs PS2 would be fascinating.

XS vs 360 sounds interesting, maybe DS vs PS5 further down the line once we get to the point where DS took off? Maybe XS vs PS3/PS4?

Switch is just biding its time; Wii is on fire at this point aligned, but this is its last huge holiday season, after this Switch will start to catch up and in the end it will win.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 10 May 2021

PS4 is well and truly leveling off now, it took like DS is going to keep its lead.
PS4 vs DS has been one of the more interesting chart comparisons to watch over the years, especially in Europe where it was a close thing for some time.

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs PS3 Sales Comparison in Europe - March 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned European sales of the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 3.

Switch Vs. PS3 Europe:

Gap change in latest month: 170,931 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,110,280 - Switch

Total Lead: 2,147,348 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 21,612,346

PS3 Total Sales: 19,464,998

March 2021 is the 49th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Europe. During the latest month, the Switch grew its lead over the PS3 by 170,931 when you align the consoles launches. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the PlayStation 3 by 2.11 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the PlayStation 3 by 2.15 million units.

The PlayStation 3 launched in Europe in March 2007, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

The 49th month for the Nintendo Switch in Europe is March 2021 and for the PlayStation 3 it is March 2011. The Switch has sold 21.61 million units, while the PlayStation 3 has sold 19.46 million units during the same timeframe. The PlayStation 3 did not reach current Switch sales until month 56.

The PlayStation 3 sold 34.99 million units in Europe during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 13.38 million units to catch up to the lifetime sales of the PlayStation 3.

While the fight's far from over, I think this is another one we can file under "Switch will win barring Nintendo stupidly pulling the plug on it prematurely." Still going to be interesting to watch it play out though.

Taking down any PS home console in Europe is a commendable feat given their brand power there.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 12 May 2021

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

I'm working on some new monthly sales comparison charts that I plan to start for the April charts as that marks 6 months of the new consoles.

• PS5 vs PS3
  • XS vs X360
  • PS5 vs NS 
  • XS vs NS

Quick question. Do I turn the PS5 vs XS vs NS, PS5 vs PS4, and XS vs XOne weekly charts into monthly charts now or shall I continue doing those weekly until we get to a year or so of them being available? 

Should be OK to get them just monthly from April on.

Could you maybe add two more comparisons?

NS vs PS3+X360

NS vs PS4+XOne

Good thing is you have got all the data used in other gap charts.

It will look pretty bad for NS vs PS4+Xone right now and pretty good for NS vs PS3+X360 right now, but - as we know - things will change.

And in the End PS4+XOne vs PS3+X360 will be very close to each other. There is almost 100% Chance NS will outperform neither (it would need >170 million for it), but still - at least I am really interested in the course of the performance so far. If I remember correctly, NS is at the moment basically on the same level as PS3+X360 combined, which is really amazing.