By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Mar 28-Apr 3 - Xbox One Sales Top 50 Million

American and Europe tastes for games are different but really just slightly. There are differences of course but pop culture in general have only slight differences between them. For decades (and even today) Europe just looked to the US for the newest trends and wanted them as fast as possible. There's a reason why we talk about Western culture (i.e. Europe + Americas and well Australia and New Zealand also belong there). We Westerners all have a (very) similar taste, especially for pop culture.

It is therefore really a riddle to me why Xboxes are so much more popular in the US (and UK) than in Europe. I don't think that the US-Americans buy more Xboxes because they are patriotic toward Microsoft. I think for the most part, the US-Americans are rational people buying the products that suits them best. If the quality is good they don't care from which country a product comes from. So why is it then that they buy more Xboxes than Europeans? Is it really just Halo, Gears and Forza that makes the difference? But these games/genres are also loved in Europe. I guess although, those games are also loved by Europeans, they aren't system sellers for them. Shooters you also get plenty on Playstation and with Grand Turismo you have a good enough alternative to Forza. Maybe from a neutral European point of view Sony has just the better offer than Xbox: Better and more first party titles and more third party and indie titles. I guess these simple advantages already sealed the deal for most Europeans. But why not so much for US-Americans? It is really a riddle that is not so easy to answer.

Around the Network

In not gona say I know many Latin countries outside where im from in dominican Republic its the same thing. PlayStation dominates second is Nintendo and you dont ever hear off xbox.

Maybe other south americans can confirm but fifa is big on PlayStation and thats also huge in South america and it could lead to preference.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Barton said:

Respectable? I actually find it embarrassing after almost 8 years. Nintendo just crossed the 80 millionth unit sold in less than half of that time period and Sony is close to 120 million within the same timeline. No wonder Microsoft is… wait for it, embarrassed to show sales figures, because it is, well… embarrassing.

I know what you're saying.  Certainly the XB1 did not sell well as a standalone console released in the past decade, especially given its length of time on the market.  If this had been the 90's, 50 million would have been regarded as really solid sales for an 8 year console but the number of gamers out there buying consoles has massively expanded since then.  In this decade, successful consoles really need to hit 70-80 million to be given the same regard as consoles that sold 40 million back in the 90s.

That being said, we need to understand that MS is not a typical game company like Sony or Nintendo.  XBox is really only one facet of Microsoft's gaming domain.  If a person buys a PC for gaming, then this is basically guaranteed to be an MS system and probably (over its lifetime) will be almost as much of a profit maker for MS than an XBox sale would be.  As a result, MS is more than willing to cannabalize their own sales of XBox to facilitate PC users since the company wins in both ballparks.  MS makes decisions again and again that demonstrate that winning the console war is not their objective with the XBox.  I think a company like Nintendo would be a lot more panicked if the Switch took 8 years to hit 50 million and would regard this as a failure, but my feeling is that MS seems quite happy with the current situation for XBox and are not taking any drastic actions to get XBox out of third place. 

Maybe I am wrong about my assessment of MS, but this is just my feeling given my very limited knowledge of XBox and Microsoft's priorities in the gaming market.  I just know that MS wouldn't release their best exclusives on PC a couple of years after they release on XBox if they were driven to get people to buy XBox consoles.  I enjoy Halo but if I wanted to play the game, I would never buy a XBox since I know that it would eventually come to PC in a couple of years anyways.  Imagine if Nintendo did that with BotW.

Last edited by Illusion - on 18 April 2021

I wonder how long until PS4 and Xbox One are discontinued; despite a lot of major games being crossgen including the likes of Horizon and Halo, the numbers are dropping very low for the 8th gen twins.

Illusion said:

Barton said:

Respectable? I actually find it embarrassing after almost 8 years. Nintendo just crossed the 80 millionth unit sold in less than half of that time period and Sony is close to 120 million within the same timeline. No wonder Microsoft is… wait for it, embarrassed to show sales figures, because it is, well… embarrassing.

I know what you're saying.  Certainly the XB1 did not sell well as a standalone console released in the past decade, especially given its length of time on the market.  If this had been the 90's, 50 million would have been regarded as really solid sales for an 8 year console but the number of gamers out there buying consoles has massively expanded since then.  In this decade, successful consoles really need to hit 70-80 million to be given the same regard as consoles that sold 40 million back in the 90s.

That being said, we need to understand that MS is not a typical game company like Sony or Nintendo.  XBox is really only one facet of Microsoft's gaming domain.  If a person buys a PC for gaming, then this is basically guaranteed to be an MS system and probably (over its lifetime) will be almost as much of a profit maker for MS than an XBox sale would be.  As a result, MS is more than willing to cannabalize their own sales of XBox to facilitate PC users since the company wins in both ballparks.  MS makes decisions again and again that demonstrate that winning the console war is not their objective with the XBox.  I think a company like Nintendo would be a lot more panicked if the Switch took 8 years to hit 50 million and would regard this as a failure, but my feeling is that MS seems quite happy with the current situation for XBox and are not taking any drastic actions to get XBox out of third place. 

Maybe I am wrong about my assessment of MS, but this is just my feeling given my very limited knowledge of XBox and Microsoft's priorities in the gaming market.  I just know that MS wouldn't release their best exclusives on PC a couple of years after they release on XBox if they were driven to get people to buy XBox consoles.  I enjoy Halo but if I wanted to play the game, I would never buy a XBox since I know that it would eventually come to PC in a couple of years anyways.  Imagine if Nintendo did that with BotW.

Since the biggest gaming platform is both PC and mobile (since everybody have a PC and a smartphone nowadays), it would be better for MS to battle with Steam instead of Sony. And I believe most of Game Pass users are on PC.

I mean, I cannot imagine MS not being angry to see Steam stealing its thunder by having most of the gamers buying games on its platform even if it's MS which own the OS.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Jumpin said:

Gotta love that cliff the Switch fell off of mid last year.

What are you talking about, Swith fell off a cliff in 2018 because they already released all their big games in its first year.

Then it fell off another one in 2019 because Pokemon and Smash were all they had left.

Then again in 2020 because they definitely had no system sellers left after Sword and Shield.

Then again this year cos PS5 and Xbox Series are out now, and 2020 was definitely the peak and there's no Nintendo system has peaked after its 4th year therefore its impossible.

Don't forget that "Switch will never get any significant third party games".  That is why it sold 500k+ this week.

The numbers on the front page of the website and the thread. Is it normal ?

The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

What are you talking about, Swith fell off a cliff in 2018 because they already released all their big games in its first year.

Then it fell off another one in 2019 because Pokemon and Smash were all they had left.

Then again in 2020 because they definitely had no system sellers left after Sword and Shield.

Then again this year cos PS5 and Xbox Series are out now, and 2020 was definitely the peak and there's no Nintendo system has peaked after its 4th year therefore its impossible.

Don't forget that "Switch will never get any significant third party games".  That is why it sold 500k+ this week.

Or "it will be DOA because of how far behind it is in graphics, nobody is going to pay $300 for worse graphics than the Xbone."

I would tend to agree. 60% of the Xbox 360 sales is not a total disaster. But the console market as a whole grew substantially in that period. They lost a lot of market share to Sony that they didn't get back.

Illusion said:

Barton said:

That is true.

XBox is really only one facet of Microsoft's gaming domain.  If a person buys a PC for gaming, then this is basically guaranteed to be an MS system

That is a lie and one misconception I'm tired of hearing. If I buy a PC, just because it runs Windows it does not mean the operating system is a gaming platform. The idea behind a console is a closed system platform, a format, therefore, you control your ecosystem buy alluring them to make software transactions in your store –like Apple with iOS– or with physical software that can only be played in your closed hardware. PCs are NOT closed hardware systems, on the contrary, they are open platforms where other ecosystems can work and endure. So buying a PC and purchasing games on STEAM and/or EPIC, Microsoft has no business whatsoever in those business ecosystems. You would need to purchase games on Microsoft's store and/or maybe subscribe to game pass to have a hold on that user. So stop with the misconception that all PC gamers are Microsoft's "domain". The idea behind a console is to put a stranglehold on that customer by keeping him within your business ecosystem with a minimum statistical spending of software and services, a continuous revenue stream, not the one-time purchase of a hardware platform that only guarantees a small profit if you are not selling it at a loss in the first place. Actually, selling the unit as a loss is a testament that the hardware is only a vehicle to capture market share and not the sale of the unit itself.

As a result, MS is more than willing to cannabalize their own sales of XBox to facilitate PC users

Dumb. How does this make sense:

Microsoft: "Hey, let me encourage my potential customers to buy a PC instead –cannibalizing sales of my own hardware–and risk the huge possibility that they will take their business to STEAM where I will never see a cent of every game they purchase from every publisher except me?"

Unless the encouragement is to allure them [PC users] to your own store and subscription service –like Game Pass– there is no cannibalizing of your console sales, only losing market share, software commissions and consistent service revenue.

and again that demonstrate that winning the console war is not their objective with the XBox. 

And that's why they are taking the big "L". Business 101 is and always has been be #1, eat as much market share as you can legally can without drawing suspicious of monopoly and rake all the cash you can set your eyes on.

I think a company like Nintendo would be a lot more panicked if the Switch took 8 years to hit 50 million and would regard this as a failure

Of course they panicked! It happened with the Wii U, they pulled the plug after 3 years because their sales projections of that console was aiming no higher than 50 million in 8-10 years. The difference is that Nintendo did not sugar coat their failure with pride, marketing deception or half-assed games, they cut their losses, assumed public shame by slashing executive salaries and went back to the drawing board with humility, experience and lessons learned.

my feeling is that MS seems quite happy with the current situation for XBox and are not taking any drastic actions to get XBox out of third place. 

If that gut feeling of yours holds any truth, then it only means conformity and mediocrity. Being happy in third place is not what most bronze medalists feel at the podium. When you compete at any level, category or league, winning is the ultimate main goal. History remembers the super bowl and world series champs, the holder of the belt, not the K.O.ed down for the count. Third place in a race of three is a failure no matter how you slice it.

Maybe I am wrong about my assessment of MS, but this is just my feeling given my very limited knowledge of XBox and Microsoft's priorities in the gaming market.

Feelings do not make up facts.

I just know that MS wouldn't release their best exclusives on PC a couple of years after they release on XBox if they were driven to get people to buy XBox consoles.  I enjoy Halo but if I wanted to play the game, I would never buy a XBox since I know that it would eventually come to PC in a couple of years anyways.  Imagine if Nintendo did that with BotW.

You just hit the nail in the head, superb analysis. Explains perfectly why Nintendo is winning and Microsoft is losing.

Last edited by Barton - on 11 May 2021

#Gamer-4-Life

Rural Tex: http://www.ruraltex.org