By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Mar 28-Apr 3 - Xbox One Sales Top 50 Million

kenjab said: Now they have better momentum and the Series consoles are regularly selling much better weekly numbers than the One was at this point.

Yeah, not "much better", they sell what you would've expect them to sell with 2 models and 1 being sold way cheaper.

Around the Network

50m is good all things considered, Series consoles on pace to outsell it. Will be interesting to see what happens once the 1st party is in full swing.

Congrats to XB1. I imagine it could maybe finish right around 51 million eventually.

Switch is just a total beast. It's normal weekly sales are insane, even compared to it's mindblowing 2020.

SKMBlake said:
jason1637 said:

50 million is a good milestone even though last gen was hard for MS they’ve done a great job at turning things around. Hopefully the Series X can sell much more than the Xbox One when it’s all said and done.

Did they really turn thing around tho ?

The console spent 4/5 of its life heavily discounted, they released 4 iterations, they even released a console way way more powerful than any other console, they implemented Game Pass, but still get quickly outsold by a 2015 tablet which costed more, was way less powerful and had way less 3rd party support, with games being sold at full price. And the success of the console is pretty much limited to the US market and the UK.

I believe the console would eventually ended up selling 50 million anyway, which will become I believe the baseline for upcoming Xbox consoles in the future.

At bold: This will always remain the insurmountable task for Microsoft as long as they make consoles. Outside of the US and UK, nobody really gives a damn about it! Sure, they sell consoles in other countries but lets put it in perspective: whole Asia will never buy Xboxes and Europe (outside of UK) is clearly Playstation territory since the PS1 and will remain so, if Sony doesn't completely messes up. I think we don't have to discuss Asia as the situation there against Xbox is just too clear. On the other hand, why are Europeans prefer Playstations so much over Xboxes? Yeah, Sony made a good job in preparing the whole market in their favour when Xbox wasn't yet around but this starter bonus is all over now (after all, Nintendo also lost its starter bonus when the PS1 appeared). I don't know but I really do have a feeling that the Europeans really "hate" Microsoft! I think we have a sentiment here in Europe (outside of UK) that we don't like big dominant US-American companies who dominate the world, who make the world dependent on them and in return dependent on US-American politics. I also think that we Europeans actually reluctantly buy Windows software. We only do it because we have no choice. There aren't real alternatives (yeah, basically we have one alternative which is, yes right, another US-American megalomania enterprise). But for game consoles we do have realistic alternatives, both are Japanese alternatives but Europe neither has a problem with Japanese products nor do they represent a threat in the form of a Japanese political agenda. Thus, the Europeans use this opportunity to buy those alternatives in full force! In conclusion, in the game console market, Microsoft will never be able to beat Sony (unless they mess up completely). On the other hand, the GamePass subscription service and xCloud could very well be a success in Europe, on PC and smartphones mainly.

PS: I compare here Microsoft with Sony in Europe and leave Nintendo out for the most part. When I say Europe is Playstation territory, I'm aware that Nintendo products also selling great there.

Last edited by Fight-the-Streets - on 17 April 2021

Ms could compete but thouse studios have to release games now. An insider said recently that he is exited about the games coming like everwild and avowed but they are so far away that is concerning. Giving sony a year or 2 head start is agaranty failure for MS. I know it's selling better than the x1 at same point in time but how long can they keep that up without any major releasenat all since launch? Even before the xbox has had no major releasensince gear 5 in 2019. Thouse 23 studios can have amazing things coming but in 2 3 years Sony will have steam rolled the xbox.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network

If Halo Infinite is indeed coming out this year and they learn their lessons from Halo 5, I can see that helping them hold down the fort while their newly expanded first party studios get their games out the door. Hopefully Hellblade II isn't too far off, that's the one I have my eye on and which could sell me on getting an XS.

Fight-the-Streets said:
SKMBlake said:

Did they really turn thing around tho ?

The console spent 4/5 of its life heavily discounted, they released 4 iterations, they even released a console way way more powerful than any other console, they implemented Game Pass, but still get quickly outsold by a 2015 tablet which costed more, was way less powerful and had way less 3rd party support, with games being sold at full price. And the success of the console is pretty much limited to the US market and the UK.

I believe the console would eventually ended up selling 50 million anyway, which will become I believe the baseline for upcoming Xbox consoles in the future.

At bold: This will always remain the insurmountable task for Microsoft as long as they make consoles. Outside of the US and UK, nobody really gives a damn about it! Sure, they sell consoles in other countries but lets put it in perspective: whole Asia will never buy Xboxes and Europe (outside of UK) is clearly Playstation territory since the PS1 and will remain so, if Sony doesn't completely messes up. I think we don't have to discuss Asia as the situation there against Xbox is just too clear. On the other hand, why are Europeans prefer Playstations so much over Xboxes? Yeah, Sony made a good job in preparing the whole market in their favour when Xbox wasn't yet around but this starter bonus is all over now (after all, Nintendo also lost its starter bonus when the PS1 appeared). I don't know but I really do have a feeling that the Europeans really "hate" Microsoft! I think we have a sentiment here in Europe (outside of UK) that we don't like big dominant US-American companies who dominate the world, who make the world dependent on them and in return dependent on US-American politics. I also think that we Europeans actually reluctantly buy Windows software. We only do it because we have no choice. There aren't real alternatives (yeah, basically we have one alternative which is, yes right, another US-American megalomania enterprise). But for game consoles we do have realistic alternatives, both are Japanese alternatives but Europe neither has a problem with Japanese products nor do they represent a threat in the form of a Japanese political agenda. Thus, the Europeans use this opportunity to buy those alternatives in full force! In conclusion, in the game console market, Microsoft will never be able to beat Sony (unless they mess up completely). On the other hand, the GamePass subscription service and xCloud could very well be a success in Europe, on PC and smartphones mainly.

PS: I compare here Microsoft with Sony in Europe and leave Nintendo out for the most part. When I say Europe is Playstation territory, I'm aware that Nintendo products also selling great there.

I don’t know where you live but in Germany we don’t fear Microsoft or Apple. Even schools use Apple for everything.

But as an example: I know around 30 people irl that own a PS4/5. 20 have older consoles like a 3DS/DS or a Wii. 20 people with a Switch and one person with an Xbox One. I think it’s the influence of shops. If you go in a shop in here with games, the first thing you see is either a wall of PS or Nintendo games. After that you find a wall of Xbox games with the same size as the wall with 3DS games (!).

I don’t know where you live but in Germany we don’t fear Microsoft or Apple. Even schools use Apple for everything.

But as an example: I know around 30 people irl that own a PS4/5. 20 have older consoles like a 3DS/DS or a Wii. 20 people with a Switch and one person with an Xbox One. I think it’s the influence of shops. If you go in a shop in here with games, the first thing you see is either a wall of PS or Nintendo games. After that you find a wall of Xbox games with the same size as the wall with 3DS games (!).

I can really attest the the domination of especially Sony in most Stores. The PS5 section at our local Media Markt is twice the size of Xbox One / Series and Switch sections combined. And this is not because Sony just sells way more. I know for a fact that Switch system and game sales at that specific store have been significantly higher than PS for more than a year. It wouldn't surprise me if Sony had deals with reailers to give them more space and advertisement.

To add to that Sony has the price advantage most of the time. The only time when MS had a significant price advantage was the 360 and at that time a lot more people owned an Xbox than do now. Even with PS4 and XBO the Playstation was the slightly cheaper option most of the time, especially in the holiday season.

Yeah I've been to France, Germany, Belgium and Luxembpurg, most of the stores have great sections for PS4/5 and Switch but a small or even no Xbox section at all

holzi said:

I can really attest the the domination of especially Sony in most Stores. The PS5 section at our local Media Markt is twice the size of Xbox One / Series and Switch sections combined. And this is not because Sony just sells way more. I know for a fact that Switch system and game sales at that specific store have been significantly higher than PS for more than a year. It wouldn't surprise me if Sony had deals with reailers to give them more space and advertisement.

To add to that Sony has the price advantage most of the time. The only time when MS had a significant price advantage was the 360 and at that time a lot more people owned an Xbox than do now. Even with PS4 and XBO the Playstation was the slightly cheaper option most of the time, especially in the holiday season.

Yes. The XBOS All-digital once was sold for 79€.