By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Kojima's MS game make more profit than DS?

Tagged games:

Will the rumoured MS Kojima game make more profit than DS?

Yes, shit tons more. Koji... 10 35.71%

Nope, this is a disaster in the making. 4 14.29%

No profit or loss. MS wil... 7 25.00%

What profit? This game go... 7 25.00%

Total:28
Soren0079 said:

I wonder if by the time this game comes out there will only be a game pass version. And I wonder if Microsoft cares about a single games profit over growing their subscriber numbers. It'll be interestig to see.
I suppose it'll be hard to know until then.

Spencer has said repeatedly that there are not going to be any Game Pass exclusives, Xbox games will always be available to buy individually.

Around the Network

Sorry not replied. Been working all day. I do know this thread is premature, and admittedly yes, I don't know much about numbers other than the reported over 4 million copies sold and £20mil the game has brought in through steam.

I don't think this game cost as much as a £100mil, probably close to £50-60mil. The engine was given alongside support from GG and some other Sony Devs. The game world was simple compared to other games he has made as well as the mechanics. Similar to Ghost of Tsushima where they didn't need to worry about making complicated roads, buildings, rooms etc.

Most the expense probably went to paying Norman Reedus and the other actors.

Episodic games are good for gamepass. I don't know if they worked out as well or how well when Tell Tales and gang tried this. If it's a walking simulator like P.T, I don't think it will cost too much unless he gets a bunch of expensive actors again or maybe gets GDT to write and direct it.

Think the important thing is, if it's made for gamepass, when will it still and hotter much for and what would her get to keep.

Darwinianevolution said:
EnricoPallazzo said:

As a person that has been working in finance for 20 years, I dont believe 10% of those statements when they say the game generated a profit.
Most likely when they say "profit" means that sales of the game were enough to cover for development costs or generate a operational/project profit, not considering overhead costs, general and administrative costs, running costs of maintaining updates/servers to the game, depreciation of equipment and other stuff.
At the end of the day what a company/investor want is for games to pay for all of that and on top of everything generate a profit % (after all that stuff) that is around at least 10%.
A game like death stranding probably costed at least 60-80 million to be produced. Those 4 million copies were probably not enough to cover all development costs and bring a healthy profit that would justify a sequel or another project. Which by the way I think is the same problem that happened to MGSV.

Kojima has had a lot of problems with the scope of his games for a long time now, and I imagine that's going to bite him now that he's on his own. I imagine that was one of the reasons Konami kicked him out, considering how risk averse they've become in recent years. So either Kojima learns to scale down his projects, or he's going to have to join one of the platform holders to guarantee funds for his games.

Exactly. I never sided with Kojima regarding the Konami debacle. Of course the way they treated him was terrible, but MGS was never a series that sold 15 million copies. I would bet no game has surpassed 10 million including digital. When playing MGSV (which I love by the way) I kept thinking "oh, now I get why the guy was fired". The game should have been half the size it is, and let's not forget the game would be even bigger and more delayed if Kojima had more freedom.

EnricoPallazzo said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Kojima has had a lot of problems with the scope of his games for a long time now, and I imagine that's going to bite him now that he's on his own. I imagine that was one of the reasons Konami kicked him out, considering how risk averse they've become in recent years. So either Kojima learns to scale down his projects, or he's going to have to join one of the platform holders to guarantee funds for his games.

Exactly. I never sided with Kojima regarding the Konami debacle. Of course the way they treated him was terrible, but MGS was never a series that sold 15 million copies. I would bet no game has surpassed 10 million including digital. When playing MGSV (which I love by the way) I kept thinking "oh, now I get why the guy was fired". The game should have been half the size it is, and let's not forget the game would be even bigger and more delayed if Kojima had more freedom.

Well from what we know all the MGS were still profitable, but perhaps not enough to ensure leaving Kojima to do whatever he wanted. We have heard of he throwing away entire records of orchestrated music and the like, making the dev cost lot higher than needed. But on the other hand we could say that he only puts what is really up to a high standard. Still I agree that if he was more careful with managing costs their games would profit more. Now that he is head of the studio perhaps it will improve. Haven`t heard of he still being obnoxious with his studio expenditures (but well he is the boss so he would be the one that would need to complain about himself kkkkkkkk).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Don't know. Death stranding is in a league of it's own. It elevated gaming to new heights, to the point where it felt more real than a game. I wish I could play it in vr.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
EnricoPallazzo said:

Well from what we know all the MGS were still profitable, but perhaps not enough to ensure leaving Kojima to do whatever he wanted. We have heard of he throwing away entire records of orchestrated music and the like, making the dev cost lot higher than needed. But on the other hand we could say that he only puts what is really up to a high standard. Still I agree that if he was more careful with managing costs their games would profit more. Now that he is head of the studio perhaps it will improve. Haven`t heard of he still being obnoxious with his studio expenditures (but well he is the boss so he would be the one that would need to complain about himself kkkkkkkk).

I guess if they say it was profitable then we need to believe, but checking game sales it seems MGS games are always around 6 million physical units sold, more considering digital for MGSV (I dont think digital impacted MGS4 that much). So in the end the revenue generated by MGS1 and MGSV is maybe not that different accounting for inflation.

Now... look at production costs, size of team, time it took to develop etc from MGS1 through MGS5. Probably MGS series has been less profitable each game, especially with MGS4 and MGS5.

Anyway, Im really a fan of Kojima and MGS is one of my favorite series, I consider all games masterpieces on their own. I trust he can deliver an amazing game again (havent played DS yet).

I'm going to say no just based on Xbox's last-gen performance with famous studios/Creators games either being canned or bombing on Xbox One under Phil's watch.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

EnricoPallazzo said:
DonFerrari said:

I guess if they say it was profitable then we need to believe, but checking game sales it seems MGS games are always around 6 million physical units sold, more considering digital for MGSV (I dont think digital impacted MGS4 that much). So in the end the revenue generated by MGS1 and MGSV is maybe not that different accounting for inflation.

Now... look at production costs, size of team, time it took to develop etc from MGS1 through MGS5. Probably MGS series has been less profitable each game, especially with MGS4 and MGS5.

Anyway, Im really a fan of Kojima and MGS is one of my favorite series, I consider all games masterpieces on their own. I trust he can deliver an amazing game again (havent played DS yet).

Well sure I didn`t look at the sales across all titles. But if sold numbers kept stable then sure production cost rose and profit margin have decreased a lot. But I do remember seeing all main games being profitable.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."