By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Kyuu said:

I think Infinite's MP going F2P is a mistake and the bigger factor than Game Pass, but time will tell.

CoD and Fortnite are F2P so it makes sense Halo went F2P. Infinites been the most played game on Xbox for the last several weeks so it’s definitely helping. Yeah sales would be a lot higher if it weren’t free but I think the point is to gain as many players as possible and make money from the battle pass and cosmetics. 

Around the Network
Kyuu said:

I think Infinite's MP going F2P is a mistake and the bigger factor than Game Pass, but time will tell.

If Halo Infinite did not go F2P it would be even more dead. Remember Halo 5 had a 70% decline in NPD and sold around 5 million. F2P basically allows less popular/new MP titles to gain big userbases (people dl free games) and then try to have them spend money on MTX. Therefore the popularity of a F2P game is in its active userbase.

Halo Infinite's biggest problem now is retention. There's been a massive drop of players in 1 month.

272k -> 72k (-70%)

src said:
Kyuu said:

If Halo Infinite did not go F2P it would be even more dead. Remember Halo 5 had a 70% decline in NPD and sold around 5 million. F2P basically allows less popular/new MP titles to gain big userbases (people dl free games) and then try to have them spend money on MTX. Therefore the popularity of a F2P game is in its active userbase.

Halo Infinite's biggest problem now is retention. There's been a massive drop of players in 1 month.

272k -> 72k (-70%)

To be expected. Me and my friend downloaded it at launch. Great game.

But my friend's computer can't really run it. The initial load times are massive with his computer, and was a bit of a pain to get a match.

Was expecting a post about elden ring. It was around 50/50 maybe 60/40 or something on Sony consoles and a whopping 80% digital on xbox.

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:

Was expecting a post about elden ring. It was around 50/50 maybe 60/40 or something on Sony consoles and a whopping 80% digital on xbox.

According to GSD's figures, digital downloads accounted for over 68% of Elden Ring's sales. Xbox and PC were the biggest digital platforms. Almost 85% of Elden Ring sales on Xbox were downloaded, and on PC it was 73%. For PS5 and PS4, the sales were just over 50% digital.

According to GSD's digital and physical numbers, 32% of sales were on PlayStation 5, 30% on PC, 29% on Xbox and 9% on PS4.

PS: 41%

PC: 30%

XB: 29%

So the console split is 58/42.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2022-03-03-elden-ring-is-the-biggest-non-fifa-or-call-of-duty-launch-since-red-dead-redemption-2-uk-digital-charts

That's absolutely mental.

Xbox having a higher digital ratio than even pc is unbelievable.

Granted that it's due to the collectors editions but still...

ironmanDX said:

That's absolutely mental.

Xbox having a higher digital ratio than even pc is unbelievable.

Granted that it's due to the collectors editions but still...

I thought those still just had a digital code with a bunch of other crap in the box. That still counts as physical? 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Kyuu said:
jason1637 said:

1. Fuck Fifa.

2. Spider-Man digital ratio is decent considering the bundles skew towards physical, and it being single player.

3. Ratchet and Clank's digital is slightly worse than I expected. It's been heavily bundled.

4. What's up with Guardians of the Galaxy's digital ratio? did it epically flop on PC?

5. It's interesting that Forza Horizon 5 and Halo didn't chart, even with the late release in mind. Suppose they each did 190k, how does that compare to past entries?

PC gaming isn't very popular in the Uk. Guaradians of the Galaxy wasn't even in the top 20 on PC https://eraltd.org/media/72514/2022-era-yearbook_interactive.pdf (page 37)

We don't know Forzas split but at launch Halo sold more physically due to the multiplayer be already free a month in advance.

Kyuu said:
jason1637 said:

PC gaming isn't very popular in the Uk. Guaradians of the Galaxy wasn't even in the top 20 on PC https://eraltd.org/media/72514/2022-era-yearbook_interactive.pdf (page 37)

We don't know Forzas split but at launch Halo sold more physically due to the multiplayer be already free a month in advance.

PC gaming is pretty popular in the UK. Steam alone had around 40% digital marketshare last year; that's around 3% more than Playstation Store and 16% more than Microsoft/Xbox Store.

More recently, Elden Ring on PC had a 30% split week 1, edging out the Xbox version.

Guardians of the Galaxy's poor digital ratio is quite puzzling to me. I'm also a bit surprised about Minecraft's digital ratio, but that might have to do with Switch's playerbase being heavily physical biased.

I mean some games will do really well but if you look at the PC game sales versus the console sales from that report it doesn't seem like PC gaming is that large compared to like other countries.