By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How much will Monster Hunter Rise sell lifetime? (Switch + PC)

Tagged games:

How much will Monster Hunter Rise sell lifetime (Switch + PC)

Under 3m 1 1.11%

3m - 4.9m 0 0%

5m - 6.9m 2 2.22%

7m - 9.9m 10 11.11%

10m - 14.9m 37 41.11%

15m - 19.9m 28 31.11%

20m - 25m 11 12.22%

Over 25m 1 1.11%

Total:90

17 million...on Switch alone

Around the Network

I say 10m - 14.9m, including the expansion rebundle that it will get (because people forget that even though Capcom moved away from doing "Ultimate" editions as the only way to get an expansion, they still sell bundles similar to Ultimate, both digital and physically - I.E. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne's Master Edition which includes the base game and the expansion).

Capcom just announced Rise has already moved 4m units at launch, game is still sold out in Japan, for comparison World moved 5m at launch but was on two platforms at the time (PC release came later).

https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/matthew-wilson/monster-hunter-rise-sold-four-million-copies-at-launch/

Hard to say but I'm going with an initial 12 million. I don't think it will be as successful on PC as World was due to being seen as a visual downgrade.

Kyuu said:

Hard to say but I'm going with an initial 12 million. I don't think it will be as successful on PC as World was due to being seen as a visual downgrade.

It should be visually better than World on PC it's built on the RE engine and not MT Framework that World uses.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Kyuu said:

It should be visually better than World on PC it's built on the RE engine and not MT Framework that World uses.

Some elements, if not visual then mechanical (physics, animations, collision etc), will carry over from the Switch version and see zero improvements. Capcom will not spend enough to push graphics beyond what you see in World as doing that requires remaking and tweaking a lot of aspects. I'd be surprised if they bothered but we'll see how it plays out. It should be interesting.

Considering that half of World's sales are on PC, and XBox only makes up a small portion of the total numbers, I will say that between Switch and PC it will sell similar to World. If I had to lean one way or the other, I would say it will sell a little more overall given Switch popularity in Japan (MH's biggest market).

The only thing that could hinder this is that World saw a sales boost when prices were slashed to sub 20 USD less than a year from launch.  I, for example, got my PS4 copy for 11 USD new.  I am not so sure we will see a price cut of that magnitude for a Switch console exclusive.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:

Considering that half of World's sales are on PC, and XBox only makes up a small portion of the total numbers, I will say that between Switch and PC it will sell similar to World. If I had to lean one way or the other, I would say it will sell a little more overall given Switch popularity in Japan (MH's biggest market).

The only thing that could hinder this is that World saw a sales boost when prices were slashed to sub 20 USD less than a year from launch.  I, for example, got my PS4 copy for 11 USD new.  I am not so sure we will see a price cut of that magnitude for a Switch console exclusive.

"Considering that half of World's sales are on PC"

Is this a fact or speculation? You think the PC version outsold the PS4 version including Japanese sales?

Kyuu said:
Shiken said:

Is this a fact or speculation? You think the PC version outsold the PS4 version including Japanese sales?

https://www.pcgamesinsider.biz/news/69823/monster-hunter-world-on-pc-sold-45m-copies-by-march-2019/

This is based off of 2019 sales data so it is a little dated, but at the time total sales on all platforms was around 12 mil.  If XBox accounts for 2 mil of those numbers, then PC is pretty in line with PS4.

Obviously it is not exactly half, and could lean one way or the other overtime.  But saying PC makes up about half of the overall sales is not a far cry at all, as a general statement.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
Kyuu said:

https://www.pcgamesinsider.biz/news/69823/monster-hunter-world-on-pc-sold-45m-copies-by-march-2019/

This is based off of 2019 sales data so it is a little dated, but at the time total sales on all platforms was around 12 mil.  If XBox accounts for 2 mil of those numbers, then PC is pretty in line with PS4.

Obviously it is not exactly half, and could lean one way or the other overtime.  But saying PC makes up about half of the overall sales is not a far cry at all, as a general statement.

https://gamingbolt.com/monster-hunter-world-on-pc-outselling-the-ps4-version-outside-of-japan-as-per-leaked-sales-figures

Well according to this poorly titled article (30th of November 2020 @16.4 million sales), PS4 version was ahead by around 3 million copies; it was only outsold in Asian countries (excluding Japan). But yeah the PC market is rapidly growing and is more or less as big as Playstation for multiple Japanese games.