By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts February 2021 Discussion Thread

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
curl-6 said:

I know there is no rational or sane reason to replace the Switch anytime soon, I can just never entirely stop worrying because Nintendo do occasionally do some incredibly stupid things. Still, I think it is highly unlikely they'll replace it before 2023 at the earliest the way it's going. 2024 would be my personal preference.

Nintendo seems to be enjoying the success. Also, they announced Splatoon 3 for 2022 on Switch, instead of saving it for a future console. That makes me think the company still see some years for Switch.

In other words, PS4 can't catch the Switch anymore. It dropped faster than I thought after the PS5 release.

Yeah stuff like Splatoon 3 and Project Triangle Strategy being announced as Switch games for 2022 does make me think they're most likely going to continue being smart, it's just as a Nintendo fan for many years there's always that lurking fear that they'll do something really stupid like killing the Wii prematurely or bungling its successor, etc. Then again I am a pessimist by nature haha

Around the Network

Wii's burning it's last growth spurt; Switch just needs to hang in there now to pass it in all regions.

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs PS3 Sales Comparison in Europe - February 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned European sales of the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 3.

Switch Vs. PS3 Europe:

Gap change in latest month: 11,673 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,071,366 - Switch

Total Lead: 1,976,417 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 21,046,109

PS3 Total Sales: 19,069,692

February 2021 is the 48th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Europe. During the latest month, the Switch grew its lead over the PS3 by 11,673 when you align the consoles launches. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the PlayStation 3 by 2.07 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the PlayStation 3 by 1.98 million units.

The PlayStation 3 launched in Europe in March 2007, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

The 48th month for the Nintendo Switch in Europe is February 2021 and for the PlayStation 3 it is February 2011. The Switch has sold 21.05 million units, while the PlayStation 3 has sold 19.07 million units during the same timeframe. The PlayStation 3 did not reach current Switch sales until month 55.

The PlayStation 3 sold 34.99 million units in Europe during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 13.94 million units to catch up to the lifetime sales of the PlayStation 3.

Really goes to show how much Europe is Sonyland that their lowest selling console isn't that far behind a system that's one of the fastest selling of all time globally.

I think the best way to look at this is that, even though it's behind the Wii, it's ahead of the PS3. Both sold 35 million in the end in Europe, so I'd guess it's likely that it sells the around the same unless sales decline significantly.