By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Now is the Best Time for PS+ (Final Fantasy 7 Remake & Games Collection)

Chrkeller said:

Crazy that a newer game is already 'free.' Did it not sell as expected? It was on sale a few months back. Crazy how quickly ps4 games drop in price. I rarely pay full price, given they don't hold their value.

DonFerrari said:
Shiken said:

He may be referring to the sharp drop in sales, and how it might not be what SE was expecting.  It was reported that the game sold 3.5 million in three days, while only breaking 5 million in Aug (the last reported sales figure four months later).

However this does not account for the holiday, which I could imagine a boost would occur and 5 million is nothing to scoff at to begin with.  It may not have done as well as other games released this year with a similar budget, but I would definitely say it sold pretty well overall.

Them read his post, he is asking if it did not sell well enough and said it got a deal few months after release.

I did read his post.  As I bolded above, he asked if it sold "as well as expected".  This is not implying the game sold bad, rather that SE expected more from a game tied to such a legacy title.  He also stated that the game was on sale a few months back, during the holiday.

So it sounds to me that he is wondering if it is much higher than the 5 mil we saw back in aug despite all that, which would indeed be lower than SE likely projected.  Not selling as well as expected =/= selling bad.

As for why it is on PS+, it should be obvious.  Most people who wanted to buy it already did (be it at full price or on sale).  So in order to promote part 2, they are trying to get part 1 in the hands of as many gamers as possible.



Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

More than 5 million units and getting closer to 10 millions are fantastic numbers to me for an episodic game on one platform.

I understand that some HD remasters at $60 do more than 10 millions, but still.

They are clever with this, ps plus users don’t get the upgrade so whoever likes the game and want a better experience can buy a physical/digital copy of the game.

Well played Sony/SE, well played.



I was asking about sales, because I got the game for $30 in November, seemed to drop in price quickly. Either way, the game was really good, far better than I was expecting. I enjoyed most of the changes, minus the stupid side quests that were boring and tedious.



kazuyamishima said:

More than 5 million units and getting closer to 10 millions are fantastic numbers to me for an episodic game on one platform.

I understand that some HD remasters at $60 do more than 10 millions, but still.

They are clever with this, ps plus users don’t get the upgrade so whoever likes the game and want a better experience can buy a physical/digital copy of the game.

Well played Sony/SE, well played.

The Yuffie DLC is kind of BS to me.  I already paid for the game once, I will not pay full price for an extra DLC episode a year later.  In all honestly, it should either be added to the base PS4 game OR to part 2.  Trying to hold a cheap DLC over our heads to get people to buy the game twice is just anti consumer in my eyes, and rather dirty.  Hell DLC for a game that is already episodic to begin with is kind of a downer in of itself.

But given how you went out of your way to reference a 60 dollar HD port, I assume this is one of those cases where dirty practices are only dirty if it isn't a Playstation exclusive.



Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
kazuyamishima said:

More than 5 million units and getting closer to 10 millions are fantastic numbers to me for an episodic game on one platform.

I understand that some HD remasters at $60 do more than 10 millions, but still.

They are clever with this, ps plus users don’t get the upgrade so whoever likes the game and want a better experience can buy a physical/digital copy of the game.

Well played Sony/SE, well played.

The Yuffie DLC is kind of BS to me.  I already paid for the game once, I will not pay full price for an extra DLC episode a year later.  In all honestly, it should either be added to the base PS4 game OR to part 2.  Trying to hold a cheap DLC over our heads to get people to buy the game twice is just anti consumer in my eyes, and rather dirty.  Hell DLC for a game that is already episodic to begin with is kind of a downer in of itself.

But given how you went out of your way to reference a 60 dollar HD port, I assume this is one of those cases where dirty practices are only dirty if it isn't a Playstation exclusive.

The price for Yuffie episode was not yet revealed, we only know you can get the game on PS5 for 70 USD including Yuffie episode so it's like a 10 USD DLC not 60 USD

I think they will sell it for 20 USD



Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
Shiken said:

The Yuffie DLC is kind of BS to me.  I already paid for the game once, I will not pay full price for an extra DLC episode a year later.  In all honestly, it should either be added to the base PS4 game OR to part 2.  Trying to hold a cheap DLC over our heads to get people to buy the game twice is just anti consumer in my eyes, and rather dirty.  Hell DLC for a game that is already episodic to begin with is kind of a downer in of itself.

But given how you went out of your way to reference a 60 dollar HD port, I assume this is one of those cases where dirty practices are only dirty if it isn't a Playstation exclusive.

The price for Yuffie episode was not yet revealed, we only know you can get the game on PS5 for 70 USD including Yuffie episode so it's like a 10 USD DLC not 60 USD

I think they will sell it for 20 USD

If you can buy the Yuffie episode on PS4 for 20 bucks, then I am fine with that.  Although that kind of negates his whole "smart move by SE/Sony to get them to buy the PS5 version".

The DLC would be compatible with the PS+ version after all if it is paid, so we will have to see how it plays out.  As far as I know though, you have to rebuy the PS5 version at full price to get this "exclusive" DLC, which is complete BS if true.

EDIT

Ok so I just looked it up.  It is paid DLC for PS5 only, but the PS4 version gets upgraded for free (I was unaware of this) if you bought the game.  Only the PS Plus version is not upgraded to the PS5 version for free.  If you already have the PS4 version through retail, you can buy the Yuffie DLC separately without needing to rebuy the entire game.

I am ok with this approach, and what he said now makes more sense.

Last edited by Shiken - on 26 February 2021

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Chrkeller said:

I was asking about sales, because I got the game for $30 in November, seemed to drop in price quickly. Either way, the game was really good, far better than I was expecting. I enjoyed most of the changes, minus the stupid side quests that were boring and tedious.

 It's been on Sony's sales twice then gone back up.



Why not Horizon Zero Dawn or Nier Automata, I just bought FFVII :*(.



mjk45 said:
Chrkeller said:

I was asking about sales, because I got the game for $30 in November, seemed to drop in price quickly. Either way, the game was really good, far better than I was expecting. I enjoyed most of the changes, minus the stupid side quests that were boring and tedious.

 It's been on Sony's sales twice then gone back up.

I am aware, hence my comment about how I don't pay full price for ps4 games, because they are easily found cheaper.  Which of course impacts value.  FFVII Remake trade-in value is already down to $20.    



DonFerrari said:
Hynad said:

I barely buy games on the Switch because of the first party titles never going on sales. Year one games from Nintendo still selling at full price 3 years after their releases is ludicrous. That’s not mentioning the pricing of their remasters, despite minimal work made on them. Sony is often being called arrogant, yet Nintendo has been overpricing all of their stuff (hardware and software) for a long time for reasons many of their fans keep defending.

Nintendo has been arrogant for a long time, and I am picking and choosing the games I pay full price on day one because of it, because arrogant Nintendo isn’t going to lower their pricing until the gen is almost over. That’s of course if they don’t remove the games I’ve been holding back for from the console’s e-shop to put it back in the next system’s store at full price... But... they get a free pass for their shit for some reason.

And just as expected vgc specialists are still confusing price and value.

Absolutely.  Like in your case, you are confused on market value versus personal value.  

I can personally value my house at $10,000,000......  but that has absolutely nothing to do with market value.

mar·ket val·ue
/ˈmärkət ˌvalyo͞o/
noun
  1. the amount for which something can be sold on a given market.
    "insurance may only cover the current market value of your car"