By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New 50 minutes long Nintendo Direct tomorrow

50 minutes? That's a long Direct, but with Monster Hunter, Pokémon Snap, Bravely Default II and the next Smash character on the horizon I feel like a decent chunk will be dedicated to any of or all of those. So despite being 50 minutes I'm gonna pretend it's a 15 minute Direct instead, to keep expectations in check.

I guess there's room for a "big" reveal (or else I'm gonna be pissed) but I have no idea what it could be. BOTW 2 and Metroid Prime 4 (assuming they are even close to having something to show) are more likely to be part of the E3 Direct. I'm not expecting Bayonetta 3 to be there either. Maybe Silksong is big enough?

Around the Network
forest-spirit said:

50 minutes? That's a long Direct, but with Monster Hunter, Pokémon Snap, Bravely Default II and the next Smash character on the horizon I feel like a decent chunk will be dedicated to any of or all of those. So despite being 50 minutes I'm gonna pretend it's a 15 minute Direct instead, to keep expectations in check.

I guess there's room for a "big" reveal (or else I'm gonna be pissed) but I have no idea what it could be. BOTW 2 and Metroid Prime 4 (assuming they are even close to having something to show) are more likely to be part of the E3 Direct. I'm not expecting Bayonetta 3 to be there either. Maybe Silksong is big enough?

I don't really think so. 

Bravely is a sort of niche product. The number of those interested in a classic style jrpg like that is limited. They'll promote it a little bit, but spending too much time seems like a waste. They're better off giving a little bit and then telling people who are interested to check out X rather than spending a ton of time in the general direct and causing a large part of the base to tune out.

Pokemon Snap would be something they'd want to promote, but the Pokemon Company tends to like doing their own things for Pokemon. So, they may not spend a ton of time, especially since Pokemon Anniversary day is so close.

Smash generally shows a trailer, and doesn't do a whole lot more in a general direct. Sakurai usually has an in depth presentation later.

So, Rise is the only thing they'll probably spend a large amount of time on. And I can see 20-30 minutes devoted to other stuff, some new, and some DLC for older games.

It’s great to see the general Nintendo Direct back. I’m curious on how this will be presented. Has the situation been good enough for employees to come back to the offices of Nintendo and film their segments (I.e., Koizumi or Takahashi filmed in front of a green screen with professional backgrounds and effects)? Plus, how did they communicate with their partners to gather enough titles to show for this direct? As for first party games, I bet they’ll mostly show those with actual release dates. Not to mention having English (or other non-Japanese) translations and/or dubbing work from NoA, NoE, and other offices.

As for expectations, I’ll be mostly conservative. They probably have 1-3 first party titles for the first half of 2021 ready with release dates. Otherwise, I wonder what kind of new games and updates they will show? AoC DLC? Anything related to NSO? Also, I think the next Smash fighter will be someone we didn’t expect (I.e., not Crash, Ryu Hayabusa, Doom Slayer, etc.).

Should be a fun show.

I would like to apologize to my neighbors for waking up and yelling "LETS GOOOOO" from the top of my lungs. Haven't felt this excitement over something video game related in some time. Can't wait.

First half of 2021 so Holiday titles may be kept under wraps until a later ND, Smash will likely be the next DLC announcement while the likes of MHR and BD2 should show up. I'm going to take a guess here and say Hollow Knight Silk Song is possibly going to get a release date due to them having a dedicated Edge special where they seemed to strengthen ties with Nintendo. Some games that may get added are Fire Emblem TH and AC, going by certain rumours something Fire Emblem in general is hinted to be on the way along with something Metroid possibly 2D other than that the obvious topics will be the anniversary of Zelda and funny enough Metroid.

Around the Network

Why are people so set on a Smash reveal taking up half the direct? Smash characters generally get a reveal trailer than a later in depth showcase before release separately. That is how it usually is. E32018 was unusual.

....The titles that we know of are not going to eat up giant chunks. You'd probably get a minute for something like Bravely and a minute for NMH and a minute for a Animal Crossing update, but that is plenty of time to showcase....well anything.

Could be anything from a Nintendo Girls volleyball game from the DoA guys to a F-Zero revival. We can only find out.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

KrspaceT said:

Why are people so set on a Smash reveal taking up half the direct? Smash characters generally get a reveal trailer than a later in depth showcase before release separately. That is how it usually is. E32018 was unusual.

....The titles that we know of are not going to eat up giant chunks. You'd probably get a minute for something like Bravely and a minute for NMH and a minute for a Animal Crossing update, but that is plenty of time to showcase....well anything.

Could be anything from a Nintendo Girls volleyball game from the DoA guys to a F-Zero revival. We can only find out.

I think it's because Smash is the only thing specifically mentioned, so some people are thinking that it's going to be something bigger than just a regular reveal. Especially because they didn't specifically say they were announcing a new fighter.

Personally, I think it's just a case of them using Smash as bait. I don't expect that much time on it. But, I could be wrong and they could be planning something more elaborate.

JWeinCom said:
KrspaceT said:

I think it's because Smash is the only thing specifically mentioned, so some people are thinking that it's going to be something bigger than just a regular reveal. Especially because they didn't specifically say they were announcing a new fighter.

Personally, I think it's just a case of them using Smash as bait. I don't expect that much time on it. But, I could be wrong and they could be planning something more elaborate.

A story mode maybe?

We reap what we sow

160rmf said:
JWeinCom said:

A story mode maybe?

Fighter Pass 3 would be my guess. 

160rmf said:
JWeinCom said:

A story mode maybe?

I don't think it will be anything more than a fighter. I think it's just the way they worded it and people expecting more are making much ado about nothing.

If anything, a new fighter pass maybe, but I kind of hope not. Poor Sakurai needs a break.