By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies Discussion - Best Star Trek Movie (TOS-TNG era)

I think the best is...

The Motion Picture 1 3.70%

Wrath of Khan 9 33.33%

Search for Spock 0 0%

Voyage Home 4 14.81%

Final Frontier 0 0%

Undiscovered Country 5 18.52%

Generations 1 3.70%

First Contact 7 25.93%

Insurrection 0 0%

Nemesis 0 0%

Total:27

If I had to rank them all I think I'd go:

1. Undiscovered Country

2. First Contact

3. Wrath of Khan

4. Voyage Home

5. Generations

6. Insurrection

7. Motion Picture

8. Final Frontier

9. Search for Spock

10. Nemesis

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

I like how almost everybody has the same 4 movies at the top of their list, Wrath of Khan, Voyage Home, Undiscovered Country, and First Contact, it's just the order between those 4 that changes.

shikamaru317 said:

I like how almost everybody has the same 4 movies at the top of their list, Wrath of Khan, Voyage Home, Undiscovered Country, and First Contact, it's just the order between those 4 that changes.

Haha pretty much; it was the Star Trek curse for a while; every even numbered film was good, every odd numbered film was shit.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Haha pretty much; it was the Star Trek curse for a while; every even numbered film was good, every odd numbered film was shit.

Search for Spock and Generations aren't that bad. Certainly not great, but they have their charm. Final Frontier is downright terrible minus the "What does god need with a spaceship?" line, which is just LOL. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Search for Spock and Generations aren't that bad. Certainly not great, but they have their charm. Final Frontier is downright terrible minus the "What does god need with a spaceship?" line, which is just LOL. 

I guess "shit" was a bit harsh. Personally I still feel Generations and Search for Spock are bad, but maybe that's just me.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

I guess "shit" was a bit harsh. Personally I still feel Generations and Search for Spock are bad, but maybe that's just me.

I'd say they are mediocre rather than bad. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

I'd say they are mediocre rather than bad. 

Generations I suppose I could kinda see as mediocre; it has its strengths such as Malcolm McDowell's delicious performance as the villain and seeing Kirk and Picard in the same film, but it really drops the ball in the way it kills off the former, if they were set on doing that they should've given him a way better sendoff.

Search for Spock just doesn't really have any redeeming qualities for me.

I wouldn't call any of the TOS-TNG era Star Trek movies truly bad, I have watched them all multiple times which should tell you something. The worst of them imo, Motion Picture, is still better than most of the drivel that Hollywood puts out, it's just kind of boring and I hate the uniform designs.

shikamaru317 said:

I wouldn't call any of the TOS-TNG era Star Trek movies truly bad, I have watched them all multiple times which should tell you something. The worst of them imo, Motion Picture, is still better than most of the drivel that Hollywood puts out, it's just kind of boring and I hate the uniform designs.

It's a matter of personal taste I suppose, I'm a big Trekkie but I can't stand Nemesis or Search for Spock, same as I'm a massive Godzilla fan but I loathe the 1998 film or some of the 60s/70s entries, and I'm a huge Nintendo fan but I don't like Smash Bros or Fire Emblem.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 23 February 2021

shikamaru317 said:

Final Frontier is REALLY bad. They had to rectify it with a 6th film they didn't plan on making. VI was made so the TOS cast didn't end on V.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!