By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Best Star Trek Movie (TOS-TNG era)

I think the best is...

The Motion Picture 1 3.70%

Wrath of Khan 9 33.33%

Search for Spock 0 0%

Voyage Home 4 14.81%

Final Frontier 0 0%

Undiscovered Country 5 18.52%

Generations 1 3.70%

First Contact 7 25.93%

Insurrection 0 0%

Nemesis 0 0%

Total:27
Shadow1980 said:
OTBWY said:

It's obviously Wrath of Khan. Nothing comes close.

The writing is top notch. The acting is top notch. The special effects were top notch. Don't know what else to add but the antagonist is so good in this movie and the fact that he is so menacing yet never meets Kirk face to face makes him so good.  And of course how theres suspense, since it feels like a submarine warfare movie where they both try to outsmart each other while being in the dark or something. The special effects were so awesome for the time that they reused some shots for a bunch of Star Trek movies and shows that followed lol.

Don't forget the soundtrack. James Horner's score is probably one of the most criminally underappreciated film scores ever, and I personally think it's Horner's best work (Aliens a close second). At least Paramount was impressed enough to bring him back for Search for Spock.

Then James ripped himself off with the score of Space Raiders.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

I went with The Motion Picture because although it's a little dry, it stays true to the series. The director's cut helps a bit filling out what is a great story. The Wrath of Khan came out in 1982 after the initial Star Wars popularity was in US culture. This meant that people wanted space combat and they did a pretty good job with integrating that into their universe. The Search for Spock was a nice shift in direction and took fans out of context with a rogue crew and a destroyed starship. The Voyage Home really rounded things out with a jubilant redemption which was relatable to viewers by jumping into the time of release. Any one of those first four movies was really well done due to Gene Roddenberry's supervision.

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

The Wrath of Khan by far. It had far and away the best villain of any of the Star Trek films with great story and visuals.

If I had to rank them all I think I'd go:

1. Undiscovered Country

2. First Contact

3. Wrath of Khan

4. Voyage Home

5. Generations

6. Insurrection

7. Motion Picture

8. Final Frontier

9. Search for Spock

10. Nemesis

shikamaru317 said:

I like how almost everybody has the same 4 movies at the top of their list, Wrath of Khan, Voyage Home, Undiscovered Country, and First Contact, it's just the order between those 4 that changes.

Haha pretty much; it was the Star Trek curse for a while; every even numbered film was good, every odd numbered film was shit.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Haha pretty much; it was the Star Trek curse for a while; every even numbered film was good, every odd numbered film was shit.

Search for Spock and Generations aren't that bad. Certainly not great, but they have their charm. Final Frontier is downright terrible minus the "What does god need with a spaceship?" line, which is just LOL. 

I guess "shit" was a bit harsh. Personally I still feel Generations and Search for Spock are bad, but maybe that's just me.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

I guess "shit" was a bit harsh. Personally I still feel Generations and Search for Spock are bad, but maybe that's just me.

I'd say they are mediocre rather than bad. 

Generations I suppose I could kinda see as mediocre; it has its strengths such as Malcolm McDowell's delicious performance as the villain and seeing Kirk and Picard in the same film, but it really drops the ball in the way it kills off the former, if they were set on doing that they should've given him a way better sendoff.

Search for Spock just doesn't really have any redeeming qualities for me.

shikamaru317 said:

I wouldn't call any of the TOS-TNG era Star Trek movies truly bad, I have watched them all multiple times which should tell you something. The worst of them imo, Motion Picture, is still better than most of the drivel that Hollywood puts out, it's just kind of boring and I hate the uniform designs.

It's a matter of personal taste I suppose, I'm a big Trekkie but I can't stand Nemesis or Search for Spock, same as I'm a massive Godzilla fan but I loathe the 1998 film or some of the 60s/70s entries, and I'm a huge Nintendo fan but I don't like Smash Bros or Fire Emblem.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 23 February 2021

shikamaru317 said:

I wouldn't call any of the TOS-TNG era Star Trek movies truly bad, I have watched them all multiple times which should tell you something. The worst of them imo, Motion Picture, is still better than most of the drivel that Hollywood puts out, it's just kind of boring and I hate the uniform designs.

Final Frontier is REALLY bad. They had to rectify it with a 6th film they didn't plan on making. VI was made so the TOS cast didn't end on V.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I'm going to go with Star Trek 6, The Undiscovered Country with First Contact and The Voyage Home being the two runner-ups. Insurrection is what I consider the most underrated.

I think The Undiscovered Country has the best plot and the best villain (recently deceased Christopher Plummer did a FANTASTIC job) and Khan + Borg Queen were the other two great villains. The original three films might be on my list, but I honestly haven't seen them more than once or twice* whilst Voyage Home and Undiscovered Country MUST be 20+ times each, and First Contact at least 8 or 9 (probably more).
* I've seen the end of Wrath of Khan many more times than I've seen the actual film.

First Contact was just such a solid film with a solid cast and was one of the two Action Film Star Treks I liked (the other being Star Trek 09).

Most underrated for me was Insurrection, I like that one quite a lot, and it's often said "it's like a glorified Star Trek Episode" and to that I say "Yeah, that's precisely why I like it."

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.