By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 6, 2021 (Feb 01 - Feb 07)

Tagged games:

Wyrdness said:
Farsala said:

This isn't normally a quiet time of the year though. It is usually the 2nd best quarter of the year, and sometimes the best.

Nintendo's highest performance with the Switch is around 3m in this quarter in fact if we look back over prior years numbers normally the second best quarter of the year is often Jul-Sept (Q2 in FY).

Is it the worst quarter though? IE: the quiet time of the year.

2020 CY has Q4>Q1>Q2>Q3, so already an instance of 2nd best quarter.

Around the Network

TOP 10 2020 Switch Famitsu Q1(w/out New Horizon):

1. Pokemon Sword / Shield - 554.390
  2. Ring Fit Adventure - 249.488
  3. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX - 218.394 NEW
  4. Minecraft (Microsoft) - 185.900
  5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 181.921
  6. Smash Ultimate - 170.222
  7. Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch - 151.351
  8. Super Mario Party - 118.077
  9. Luigi's Mansion 3 - 117.482
  10. Splatoon 2 - 103.649
  11. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Sega) - 97.772
  12. Super Mario Maker 2 - 82.915
  13. Hatsune Miku: Project Diva MegaMix (Sega) - 78.558 NEW
  14. Fishing Spirits (Bandai Namco) - 76.921
  15. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 69.378
  16. Persona 5 Scramble (Atlus) - 65.653 NEW
  17. One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4 (Bandai Namco) - 61.571 NEW
  18. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 58.899
  19. Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! (Bandai Namco) - 39.804
  20. Dragon Quest XI S (Square Enix) - 39.181

TOTAL: 2.721.526
TOTAL HARDWARE: 1.700.352

TOP 20 2021 Switch Famitsu Q1:

1. Momotaro Dentetsu (Konami) - 613.016
  2. Ring Fit Adventure - 259.093
  3. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 246.923
  4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 198.957
  5. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 132.729
  6. Pokemon Sword / Shield + Expansion Pass - 122.937
  7. Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics - 111.260
  8. Minecraft (Microsoft) - 104.004
  9. Super Mario Party - 88.609
  10. Splatoon 2 - 82.949
  11. Pikmin 3 Deluxe - 73.403
  12. Super Mario 3D All-Stars - 62.725
  13. Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (Marvelous) - 48.458 (+1)
  14. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 47.636 (-1)
  15. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 43.198
  16. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (Koei Tecmo) - 36.556
  17. Fitness Boxing 2 (Imagineer) - 35.166
  18. Super Mario Odyssey - 32.430
  19. Super Mario Maker 2 - 30.380
  20. Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 (Sega) - 30.250

TOTAL: 2.400.679
TOTAL HARDWARE: 963.874

• Next week marks the launch of Bowser's Fury and also will probably lead to software sales reaching close to 3 million for Q1 2021
  • Momotaro has already shown greater legs than any prior evergreen on the Switch in Q1; it will surpass 800K for the Quarter
  • Ring Fit Adventure & Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's results this Q already surpasses the result they achieved last year Q1
  • Sakuna is likely to surpass 75K sales this Quarter, it's heading towards over 200K phyiscal sales on the Switch alone 
Last edited by noshten - on 13 February 2021

Marvelous Top 15

1. [DS] Harvest Moon: Island of Happiness - 304.660
  2. [3DS] Harvest Moon: A New Beginning - 264.042
  3. [3DS] Harvest Moon: Linking the New World - 259.111
  4. [3DS/NSW] Rune Factory 4 - 245.857
  5. [DS] Harvest Moon: Twin Villages - 212.870
  6. [NSW/PS4] Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin- 210.512
  7. [PSV/PS4/NSW] Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star - 198.804
  8. [3DS] Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns - 196.088
  9. [PSV] Kan Colle Kai - 190.568
  10. [PS4/PSV/NSW] Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star Link - 177.279
  11. [NSW] Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town - 164.944
  12. [PSV] Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus - 158.270
  13. [3DS] Harvest Moon: Shining Sun and Friends - 155.065
  14. [PSP] Fate/Extra - 147.911
  15. [PSP] Fate/Extra CCC - 147.911

Just to put into persepctive what a massive success Sakuna is for Marvelous - next week it will become their 5th best selling game of all time in Japan while with digital sales it's likely already their best selling title of all time as it had very strong digital sales on the Switch due to shortages at launch on the Switch.

Obviously Olive Town will end up their best selling title by the end of the Quarter by a pretty big margin, overall I anticipate that by the end of the year we are looking at a Olive Town, Rune Factory 5 & Sakuna Top 3 and Marvelous's best yearly result of all time. 

No PS5 games in top 30 with the lowest being 1.8k...... Seems like no one is buying PS5 games.....

If the game won't use the full potential of the PS5. They might as well make it and package it as a PS4 game since it will also work on the PS5. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:

No PS5 games in top 30 with the lowest being 1.8k...... Seems like no one is buying PS5 games.....

If the game won't use the full potential of the PS5. They might as well make it and package it as a PS4 game since it will also work on the PS5. 

Even at launch the best selling game had 1:11 physical attachment rate, so in a week like this where PS5 sold 15k, that equates to 1.2-1.4k. Worth noting that PS5 games will also have a higher skew towards digital because the digital edition + its target demographic. We likely will not see any PS5 games in the chart for a while yet. Either it has a huge hardware week due to shipments or we're waiting for balan wonderland in March

RE5's launch should be a rising tide for Demon Souls and Spiderman

Around the Network
Otter said:
Jranation said:

Even at launch the best selling game had 1:11 physical attachment rate, so in a week like this where PS5 sold 15k, that equates to 1.2-1.4k. Worth noting that PS5 games will also have a higher skew towards digital because the digital edition + its target demographic. We likely will not see any PS5 games in the chart for a while yet. Either it has a huge hardware week due to shipments or we're waiting for balan wonderland in March

and people already have the PS5? buying air?

The lack of support, the problems with the console, the problem with production, maybe Sony rushed Ps5 launch? 

Last edited by Agente42 - on 12 February 2021

Agente42 said:
Otter said:

The lack of support, the problems with the console, the problem with production, maybe Sony rushed Ps5 launch? 

When the systems entire LTD sales are only equal to PS4's launch week, I don't think there is too much to expect there + the higher digital ratio I mentioned before + lack of a killer app for the market. The bulk of sales really does come from new hardware purchases at this point in a systems life. I suspect Demon Souls and Spiderman will do well in the end, but they need a userbase first. The PSVita had weeks post launch where only 1 game would chart (probably also weeks with 0) and it was selling far more hardware. I suspect BC  is also keeping some users occupied until bigger hitters come out

Regarding your latter point, looks like trolling lol

Otter said:
Agente42 said:

When the systems entire LTD sales are only equal to PS4's launch week, I don't think there is too much to expect there + the higher digital ratio I mentioned before + lack of a killer app for the market. The bulk of sales really does come from new hardware purchases at this point in a systems life. I suspect Demon Souls and Spiderman will do well in the end, but they need a userbase first. The PSVita had weeks post launch where only 1 game would chart (probably also weeks with 0) and it was selling far more hardware. I suspect BC  is also keeping some users occupied until bigger hitters come out

I'm not trolling. I guess the PS5 launch was a bit rushed in Japan You don't think so? Maybe sony launch in March/21is a better solution? What do you think? 

Agente42 said:
Otter said:

I'm not trolling. I guess the PS5 launch was a bit rushed in Japan You don't think so? Maybe sony launch in March/21is a better solution? What do you think? 

Oh, my mistake. I though you were referring to the PS5's entire roll out, which has been very strong overall if not a bit frontloaded (but we're in the midst of a pandemic), its had much better software support than PS4 and doesn't seem to be suffering from any large scale issues/failure rate.

Japan specifically? They could have delayed it, but I said this to rol in the past: from a consumer perspective, its better to be in tight supply and give the appearance of high demand than to officially announce a delay to your home region and upset the whole market. The latter I think is more damaging to the brand. 

BotW increasing, it was kinda close to returning to the top 10.