By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How would Vita have done without proprietary memory cards?

How many units would the Vita have sold?

About the same 15 55.56%

18-21 million 3 11.11%

21-24 million 5 18.52%

24-27 million 0 0%

27-30 million 2 7.41%

30-33 million 1 3.70%

33-36 million 0 0%

36-39 million 0 0%

39-42 million 0 0%

More than 42 million (specify in thread) 1 3.70%

Total:27
Cerebralbore101 said:

YES! You get it! Nintendo handhelds never died. Nintendo home consoles is what died. Or rather it merged with the handheld line.

NO! You don't get it! Nintendo home consoles never died. Nintendo handhelds is what died. Or rather it merged with the home console line.

I make music, check it out here on Bandcamp, Spotify, and Youtube!
my top 50 games

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

YES! You get it! Nintendo handhelds never died. Nintendo home consoles is what died. Or rather it merged with the handheld line.

NO! You don't get it! Nintendo home consoles never died. Nintendo handhelds is what died. Or rather it merged with the home console line.

NO! Neither of you get it! The handheld division merged with itself and divided by the exponent of the square rooted home console division to form the new unified division!

HOW DO PEOPLE STILL NOT UNDERSTAND THIS

Mr Puggsly said:
Sogreblute said:

For everyone that says "Home consoles are dying in Japan that's why handhelds/mobile thrive there. Can you tell me why the Vita only sold 6 million compared to the PS4's 9.5 million when last generation it was the PSP 20 million > PS3 10 million? That is a huge failure.

I actually find it kinda interesting with a few more notable titles, the Vita could have outsold PS4 in Japan. I mean 6 million isn't terrible given how quickly notable support ended.

I can tell you in the US it was difficult to find a Vita years before it was even discontinued, same goes for Wii U. I imagine that could have been the case outside the US as well.

I could be wrong, but I think Sony quietly discontinued the Vita in the West in 2016. You couldn't find one anywhere. I remember my Target had a Vita booth in 2014, but had only a few games. That system did bad in the West, especially in NA. 

It would still done terribly, memory cards were only a part of the problem.

Mr Puggsly said:

I actually find it kinda interesting with a few more notable titles, the Vita could have outsold PS4 in Japan. I mean 6 million isn't terrible given how quickly notable support ended.

I can tell you in the US it was difficult to find a Vita years before it was even discontinued, same goes for Wii U. I imagine that could have been the case outside the US as well.

Yeah, I for one thought that when we got the news it was discontinued I thought it already was like three years prior or something. Vita was not on shelves here, visibly at least, for very long.