By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Thoughts on Donkey Kong Country 3

curl-6 said:

It's interesting that this game still came to the SNES when by the time it released the N64 had been out for months. I wonder if they considered retooling it as an early N64 title during development, but decided not to because apparently Nintendo were all about showcasing the 64's 3D capabilities.

I doubt it, considering that Nintendo was still supporting the Super NES with new first-party releases the following holiday season (Kirby's Dream Land 3) much as they continued to support the NES with exclusive titles for years after the release of the Super NES. That was a thing that was done back then.

The launch of the Nintendo 64 just months before that of Dixie Kong's Double Trouble unquestionably impacted the latter's sales very negatively in any event, but it would likely have fared even worse on the N64, considering the fate of later examples of 2D first-party N64 titles like Mischief Makers and Yoshi's Story. The truth is that just about everyone bought the N64 specifically for a fully 3D gaming experience, whereas gamers expected 2D out of the Super NES. Dixie Kong's adventure was there I think for those consumers who simply hadn't yet transitioned to the Nintendo 64.

There were still new Super NES games being released into the second half of 1998. There was an SNES version of Frogger that came out in like August or September of that year, for example. (I bought it on principle because it was a new Super NES game being released around the same time as F-Zero X.)

Around the Network
DarthMetalliCube said:

Quite an extensive read, and well said! I agree with much of this, though I don't put quite as much emphasis on the non-gameplay aspects of these games - outside perhaps the music, which I LOVE.

In short - DKC3 I've always felt was good, but never great. Especially when contrasted to DKC1 and 2, which are still two of my favorite games of all time. Both in their own way - 1 was the breakthrough and has a more simplistic and stylistic charm to it. 2 expanded on the solid formula with Dixie Kong, more elaborate, diverse level design, collectibles, super-tough "Lost Level" esque bonus stages, etc. It was the perfect balance of accessibility and depth. 

But by the third entry I felt Rare started to veer too far off in a gimmicky direction in certain aspects, and the gameplay had more needlessly tough, frustrating moments. And like you said, I found the Kiddie mechanics sluggish, bland, and aggravating at times. Even in 2, I preferred Dixie with the hair-twirling float move. But at least Diddy had the more quick and nimble (when he needs to be heheh) mechanics going for him. But Kiddie vs Dixie? No comparison. The music - which was a big part of the first two - was also more average for my money. The overworld map layout was a bit more dynamic, which was neat in some ways, but also a bit cumbersome. I prefer to avoid fluff and just get to the action whenever possible.

I'd even go as far as saying I prefered DKC Returns and (especially) Tropical Freeze to 3, since at least Retro's games had the simultaneous multiplayer going for them.

Still, given that this is one of the best platforming series ever in my book, even its WORST game is still quite good. I'll still probably ultimately play it on my Switch mainly for the novelty of handheld mode. And for the fact that Nintendo STILL hasn't released Mario RPG for the service yet.. Admitedly I never did play the game all that much and in fact never beat it, so many I'd appreciate it more if and when I log some more time into it and perhaps finally finish the game.

Thank you! And you offer an interesting perspective too. Back at the time of the game's original release, reviewers broadly seemed to agree that Dixie Kong's Double Trouble was the toughest entry in the trilogy, but nowadays by contrast it's often regarded as easier than Diddy's Kong Quest. At the time I agreed with the critical consensus, but after many years of playing through both games, now DKC 3 seems a bit easier to me overall due to it's comparatively simplified level designs. The parts that are tougher are the boss fights and stages from very late in the game, not the majority of the content, at least to me. Still, they were both quite challenging for 2D platforming titles back then.

As to the stuff about gimmicks...well I mean nearly all video games basically were gimmicks back then. I mean what do you think floating collectibles are but an arbitrary means to get the player to play the game a certain way? One must accept realities like this to enjoy many of the classics because the fact is that the less gimmicky games were often worse. At the time, the two main things people loved about the classic DKCs were their graphics and the two-player co-op mode that was vastly superior to both the two-player modes in the Super Mario Bros. games and those in the Sonic games. Those things aren't revolutionary anymore though, to state the obvious. The more enduring appeal of the classic DKC games is the fact that each level has its own hook; it's own distinct way of being played. This piqued one's curiosity as to what the developers would throw at you next. Many other platforming titles back then featured much more similar designs for each level contained in a given world, resulting in a much greater sense of redundancy that tended to bore the player before long, with various levels seeming to run together in the mind, feeling indistinct and forgettable. For these very sorts of reasons, I enjoyed the addition of the DKC level ethos to the overworld map itself in Dixie Kong's Double Trouble with the addition of hidden collectibles (Banana Birds that you earned by completing memorization games) thereto. Okay, the trading game with the Brothers Bear wasn't much value-added for me though, I will agree. I'd rather just have had more expansive roles for characters like Cranky Kong and Swanky return, but I did love exploring the game's overworld and the feel of driving vehicles around it.

(I'm also with you on hoping for the addition of Super Mario RPG to the Switch Online service in the near future! And also Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, and Illusion of Gaia. Lots of outstanding Super Nintendo RPGs remain to be tapped! RPGs and tournament fighting games were the new hit genres of the 16-bit era and we seem to have so few of them to date through the Switch Online service. Let this change! While you're waiting though, and after you've finished up DKC 3, you might give Prehistorik Man a try. It's not exactly a legendary platformer, but it's charming and funny and boasts an excellent soundtrack. That's the one I'd most recommend out of the recent additions.)

Last edited by Jaicee - on 20 February 2021

Shadow1980 said:

I never played it. I actually wasn't interested in it at the time, either. It also doesn't help that when the game was released I was in 10th grade, still nearly two years before I got my first job, so I had to be selective about what games I requested for birthdays & Christmas (many games I played I had to rent). Teenage me judged the DKC sequels unfairly because Donkey Kong wasn't a playable character, but present-day me is definitely willing to give them a try.

I believe all three of them are on Switch's online service, so now's as good a time as any! 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Jaicee said:
curl-6 said:

It's interesting that this game still came to the SNES when by the time it released the N64 had been out for months. I wonder if they considered retooling it as an early N64 title during development, but decided not to because apparently Nintendo were all about showcasing the 64's 3D capabilities.

I doubt it, considering that Nintendo was still supporting the Super NES with new first-party releases the following holiday season (Kirby's Dream Land 3) much as they continued to support the NES with exclusive titles for years after the release of the Super NES. That was a thing that was done back then.

The launch of the Nintendo 64 just months before that of Dixie Kong's Double Trouble unquestionably impacted the latter's sales very negatively in any event, but it would likely have fared even worse on the N64, considering the fate of later examples of 2D first-party N64 titles like Mischief Makers and Yoshi's Story. The truth is that just about everyone bought the N64 specifically for a fully 3D gaming experience, whereas gamers expected 2D out of the Super NES. Dixie Kong's adventure was there I think for those consumers who simply hadn't yet transitioned to the Nintendo 64.

There were still new Super NES games being released into the second half of 1998. There was an SNES version of Frogger that came out in like August or September of that year, for example. (I bought it on principle because it was a new Super NES game being released around the same time as F-Zero X.)

I'm aware, it's just they did end up bringing Killer Instinct over the N64 as Killer Instinct Gold, so I just wondered if it was ever under consideration.

The SNES is my favourite system of all time and I really like both DKC3 and Kirby's Dreamland 3 so I think it's really cool that it continued to receive support after the release of its successor. It's the last Nintendo console that wasn't dropped like a sack of rocks towards the end of its life, and it's nice that such a legendary system got to go out in a dignified way.

Some other noteworthy post-N64 releases were Harvest Moon, Star Ocean, Winter Gold, Street Fighter Alpha II, Disney's Pinocchio, and Dragon Quest III.

curl-6 said:

I'm aware, it's just they did end up bringing Killer Instinct over the N64 as Killer Instinct Gold, so I just wondered if it was ever under consideration.

The SNES is my favourite system of all time and I really like both DKC3 and Kirby's Dreamland 3 so I think it's really cool that it continued to receive support after the release of its successor. It's the last Nintendo console that wasn't dropped like a sack of rocks towards the end of its life, and it's nice that such a legendary system got to go out in a dignified way.

Some other noteworthy post-N64 releases were Harvest Moon, Star Ocean, Winter Gold, Street Fighter Alpha II, Disney's Pinocchio, and Dragon Quest III.

There's a bit of an interesting story to Killer Instinct: It was actually originally planned to be an "NU64" game. Like if you play the original arcade version from 1994 and just wait through the title screen and game play demos long enough, eventually it'll recycle to a promotional message that says "Coming in 1995, only for Nintendo ULTRA 64!!!!!!!!!!!! ...Killer Instinct", complete with a tentative NU64 logo displayed on-screen. ...Well the game did eventually wind up getting a home console release in 1995, but it wound up being for the Super NES because the Ultra 64 launch had been delayed a year in the interim. In fact, the NU64 was delayed so long that a sequel called Killer Instinct 2 actually made it to the arcades before the system was even retitled just plain "Nintendo 64" in the U.S., let alone released. KI Gold is the console version of Killer Instinct 2. THAT's what actually wound up making it to the N64 in the end!

Anyway yeah, good selections! Well except for Kirby's Dream Land 3, which I actually felt was a more lazily-crafted entry in the franchise, personally, that felt a bit like an afterthought next to the first-party releases for the N64 that year ('97). But Harvest Moon in particular was a favorite late-life Super NES title for me. I'd add that there were also some pretty great (and cute!) late-life, post-N64-release Super NES platforming games too, like The Lost Vikings 2 and Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 27 February 2021

Around the Network
Jaicee said:
curl-6 said:

There's a bit of an interesting story to Killer Instinct: It was actually originally planned to be an "NU64" game. Like if you play the original arcade version from 1994 and just wait through the title screen and game play demos long enough, eventually it'll recycle to a promotional message that says "Coming in 1995, only for Nintendo ULTRA 64!!!!!!!!!!!! ...Killer Instinct, complete with a tentative NU64 logo displayed on-screen. ...Well the game did eventually wind up getting a home console release in 1995, but it wound up being for the Super NES because the Ultra 64 launch had been delayed a year in the interim. In fact, the NU64 was delayed so long that a sequel called Killer Instinct 2 actually made it to the arcades before the system was even retitled just plain "Nintendo 64" in the U.S., let alone released. KI Gold is the console version of Killer Instinct 2. THAT's what actually wound up making it to the N64 in the end!

Anyway yeah, good selections! Well except for Kirby's Dream Land 3, which I actually felt was a more lazily-crafted entry in the franchise, personally, that felt a bit like an afterthought next to the first-party releases for the N64 that year ('97). But Harvest Moon in particular was a favorite late-life Super NES title for me. I'd add that there were also some pretty great (and cute!) late-life, post-N64-release Super NES platforming games too, like The Lost Vikings 2 and Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow.

I never knew that about Killer Instinct, thanks for the interesting info. :)

Personally I liked Dreamland 3 and didn't find it lazy; it wasn't quite a "AAA" game like Yoshi's Island or Super Mario World, but it felt as well constructed as I would expect from a Kirby game on 4th gen hardware. DKC3 though really was the star of the SNES's twilight years for me, definitely my favourite of its post-N64 lineup.

I often find it fascinating, looking at the last releases on a given platform. The Wii for example got Just Dance 2020 in late 2019, seven years after its replacement. PS3 and 360 got FIFA as late as 2018, five years after replacement.

The N64 itself got its last release in August 2002; Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3. Not a bad one to go out with.