By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Best way to translate text from a video/images?

Guys, I found a video on NicoVideo about a japanese Visual Novel that I'm really curious to read.

I don't need to say that everything is in japanese, so I took some screenshots to translate them using Yandex. But the translator is not working very nice. Some words are skipped, some sentences are screwed up... And now, it looks like the site is rejecting some screenshots. I don't know if that is a bug or something.

Do you guys know some other way to translate texts from images? I would be really thankful.

Around the Network

I would also like to know one, since as far as i know the google version only works with the cammera of your phone and there is no computer version.

foxmccloud64 said:

I would also like to know one, since as far as i know the google version only works with the cammera of your phone and there is no computer version.

Exactly. I also noticed the Google one, but I'm trying to translate pictures from PC, not phone.

Yandex is the closiest one I could find, but still not quite what I would call acceptable.

search for "ocr video" (ocr = optical character recognition)
these are programs that can take video or image and output normal text data,
i.e. analyze the pixels to determine which letters are present and give that to you in editable text format.
(yandex/google image translation do this, but you can find program/site that is more flexible for your needs)
then you can feed that text, possibly after editing for format etc, into any translator like yandex or deepl.
one of the programs that came up even seemed to be russian although i didn't investigate further as i don't know RU.

or just send the japanese person who makes these videos random harassing messages in russian
demanding they use normal subtitle text instead of "graphic" text that needs OCR to analyze/extract.

Last edited by mutantsushi - on 06 February 2021

Thanks for the info zero129, is always helpful to get to know these tools.