By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 5, 2021 (Jan 25- Jan 31)

That's amazing Switch is up around 50%YoY and 27% overall this year in Japan, I expect that YoY growth to get even larger just before before Animal Crossing since around February Japan began dealing with console shortages which slowed down sales significantly. We also have a February game Bowsers Fury in February and while Monster Hunter may not be as huge as Animal Crossing, I still think it could hold in its and raise up Switch sales.

Around the Network

RFA going up again oh wow oh wow.
Switch keeps destroying last year's numbers, we love to see it.
The Switch release saving Disgaea from its continuous decline in Japan.

Wow!  Switch is actually up WoW.  I would assume this is because RFA is also up WoW.  At the rate Switch is selling, it should be able to cross 1m sales in Japan before the end of February.  That is definitely clobbering last year.  It will be interesting to see how much of a YoY lead Switch can get before Animal Crossing vs. Monster Hunter comparisons start kicking in.

jonathanalis said:

Xbox droped almost 1/3.
Seems some xbox buyers from previous weeks got it because ps5 hasnt enough stock available...

Xbox is up almost 3 times... 

You are reading it super wrong, also like ps5 it sells what it ships in Japan.

badskywalker said:

Consoles with Highest Sales in Japan
1. Nintendo DS (33.01)
2. Gameboy (32.47)
3. Nintendo 3DS (24.64, probably very little movement from here on out)
4. PlayStation 2 (23.18)
5. PlayStation 1 (21.59)
6. PlayStation Portable (20.01)
7. Nintendo Entertainment System (19.35)
8. Nintendo Switch (18.22, so far)

Based on how the Switch is selling, what do you think it's end of year sales will be in Japan, and where do you place lifetime sales in Japan?

3DS has now surpassed PS2 sales in Japan (Media Create) | NeoGAF 

21.83m. ( VGC has an inexplicably wrong number, I don't know where that figure came from and vgc used it ) 

3DS number missing 120k untracked 2DS limited edition sales ( before general release in Japan) so 24.76! Although shipment total is 25.2m, can't fathom why there is such as discrepancy, there can't be still so many on the shelves other than rest stock of New 2ds xl ( 40k). @RolStoppable

NS will outsell it barring any unforseen circumstance,  the intersting thing is if it can outsell it NS lite sales excluded!That would be the great feat.

Around the Network

Switch is like "what new consoles?"

RolStoppable said:
tak13 said:

3DS has now surpassed PS2 sales in Japan (Media Create) | NeoGAF 

21.83m. ( VGC has an inexplicably wrong number, I don't know where that figure came from and vgc used it ) 

3DS number missing 120k untracked 2DS limited edition sales ( before general release in Japan) so 24.76! Although shipment total is 25.2m, can't fathom why there is such as discrepancy, there can't be still so many on the shelves other than rest stock of New 2ds xl ( 40k). @RolStoppable

NS will outsell it barring any unforseen circumstance,  the intersting thing is if it can outsell it NS lite sales excluded!That would be the great feat.

Famitsu doesn't track sales that occur through Nintendo's own online store in Japan, so there's an evergrowing discrepancy between sell-through and shipments.

Historically, VGC has closely aligned its Japanese sales with numbers posted by Famitsu and Media Create, so they would carry over the same blind spot of Nintendo's missing online store sales.

I was suspecting that, but didn't expect it  to make such a substantial difference. Does this trend continues? IF so, I can't be extrapolating the stock of NS by comparing Famitsu sales and LTD shipments... Nintendo store must have grown even more now, for obvious reasons. What about Amazon?

badskywalker said:

Consoles with Highest Sales in Japan
1. Nintendo DS (33.01)
2. Gameboy (32.47)
3. Nintendo 3DS (24.64, probably very little movement from here on out)
4. PlayStation 2 (23.18)
5. PlayStation 1 (21.59)
6. PlayStation Portable (20.01)
7. Nintendo Entertainment System (19.35)
8. Nintendo Switch (18.22, so far)

Based on how the Switch is selling, what do you think it's end of year sales will be in Japan, and where do you place lifetime sales in Japan?

I think it will outsell the PS2 of even maybe the 3DS by the end of the year.

And lifetime sales can reach 35 million.

javi741 said:  based off of

Why do you use this instead of "based on" ?

The XBS is picking up steam going from 424 to 1099. That's a big increase week over week.

Good increase for PS5 and Series X/S.

Switch still dominating the charts.