By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Good games from bad developers?

Just like sometimes a bad game comes from an otherwise great developer — Cyberpunk 2077 and Star Fox Zero, for example — sometimes the opposite is true as well. I noticed it to be the case with Until Dawn, a game I love from Supermassive Games, which has otherwise released only mediocre to terrible games, both before it (Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock; Start the Party!) and after it (Bravo TeamThe Inpatient).

Are there any other games you love that were developed by otherwise bad developers?

B O I

Around the Network

Killzone 3, Metal Gear Solid 5, Immortals Fenyx Rising.

Looks like I have to be the first to give a non-bullshit hot take answer.

Onechanbara Origin. Previous games in this series are terrible. Tamsoft makes trashy games in general. They are not Steam trash bad. Just generally not very good games esp this series. Origin however is a pretty competent and fun action game. It's the least horny this series has been. The dodge mechanic is copied right off of Nier Automata. Combat is pretty decent. Bosses for the most part are fun tho a couple can be cheesed. It's not going to beat out a DMC game but this is a pretty decent game with a nice cel-shaded look. They genuinely learned some lessons making this and didn't go crazy on the stupid horny anime titty crap.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver

Max Payne (2001)

Around the Network

Pretty much any RARE game from the 90's are great. Everything done since then has been bad up until Sea of Thieves (which started out bad and progressed into being ok). I am very hopefully for Everwild, but until that comes out there is no question they are currently a "bad developer."

Sonic team making Sonic Adventures 2 the gem that it was still shocks me considering I have tried and failed to appreciate basically every other Sonic game made.

Dulfite said:

Pretty much any RARE game from the 90's are great. Everything done since then has been bad up until Sea of Thieves (which started out bad and progressed into being ok). I am very hopefully for Everwild, but until that comes out there is no question they are currently a "bad developer."

Sonic team making Sonic Adventures 2 the gem that it was still shocks me considering I have tried and failed to appreciate basically every other Sonic game made.

IMO People are way too harsh on MS Rare, especially recently played Rare Replay, Old Rare had their fair share of misses. Yeah they haven't have a critically acclaimed game under MS but Viva Pinata (1+2), Banjo Nuts and bolts, Kameo, and somehow even Perfect Dark Zero, all received pretty good reviews, and while not my favorite from them, far from bad games. Sea of Thieves wasn't ever bad, it was just lacking content but the core experience is amazing and one of a kind. The Music is top notch (seriously check out the OST) and the art style is beautiful, and it's what gives me hope for Everwild because I think Rare is in their best headspace since the Rareware days. 

Rumor has it that Phil had to chose between Rare and Lionhead to close, and I'm so glad he saved Rare.

But anyways, just wanted to speak my two cents as I see this quite often. Btw I largely agree on Sonic Team lol

Final Fantasy X-2.

Jpcc86 said:

Max Payne (2001)

Max Payne 2 > 1

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

The Borderlands franchise. It's literally the only good thing that Gearbox is capable of making