By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Last Guardian spiritual successor teased for 2021

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Dulfite said:

Botw was announced 2013 and released 2017. Not close to 7 years.

Metroid Prime 4 announced in 2017. Not 7 years or even close to that yet. Also this has an entirety different studio working on it so it's different.

Bayo 3 announced December 2017, also not close to 7 years or close to it.

Unless those last two games come out in 2024/5 they won't take nearly as long as TLG did.

I meant Breath of the Wild 2 actually, but it was a joke regardless. 

Although ... At the same time ... You know that the game was probably not being worked on during that entire time, right? Like, in a similar way to where we can discount Metroid Prime 4 because it had to restart development midway through the original title, I think there's some leeway for The Last Guardian which was probably on hiatus for a good 2 years at least (in total, not saying those were 2 years in a row they took off), it wasn't even finished on PS3 as well so imagine how much work it took remaking parts of a PS3 game's code for the PS4. 

Also I don't know ... I think Bayonetta 3 will come out this year (or at least hope so), and Metroid Prime 4 will probably be late 2022-2023 at the earliest. For Metroid Prime 4, that's 5.5-6.5 years after it's announcement. Doesn't matter that development restarted, it was announced in 2017, and your criteria was announcements. I'd say that's pretty close to TLG, to be honest.

If it comes out in mid 2024 or 2025 and if there is evidence that TLG did restart development for a year or two, then yeah they would be in the same category of slowness. But if they literally developed it for that long with no lengthy hiatus, or if MP4 comes out in 2021-2023 (which I think far more likely), then it absolutely is slower by a long shot than the three Nintendo games you mentioned.

Bayo 3 was practically a 2018 announcement (it was December 2017) so it's been just 3 years since it was announced and I'm fairly confident it is coming Fall this year (would be a perfect Halloween game for Nintendo).

I strongly suspect either BOTW 2 or MP4 will be their big holiday title, and the other one will be their big Spring title (which Animal Crossing filled this year). I wouldn't be surprised at all if MP4 comes out this holiday season (2021) and Botw 2 comes out on Botw 1/Switch birthday. If that is the case, then MP4 will only have had 4-5 years of development post announcement (and Retro only really having done like 3 years of development since it started from scratch). If BOTW 2 comes out either this holiday or next Spring it will have been less than 2 years since it was announced before coming out.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:

I meant Breath of the Wild 2 actually, but it was a joke regardless. 

Although ... At the same time ... You know that the game was probably not being worked on during that entire time, right? Like, in a similar way to where we can discount Metroid Prime 4 because it had to restart development midway through the original title, I think there's some leeway for The Last Guardian which was probably on hiatus for a good 2 years at least (in total, not saying those were 2 years in a row they took off), it wasn't even finished on PS3 as well so imagine how much work it took remaking parts of a PS3 game's code for the PS4. 

Also I don't know ... I think Bayonetta 3 will come out this year (or at least hope so), and Metroid Prime 4 will probably be late 2022-2023 at the earliest. For Metroid Prime 4, that's 5.5-6.5 years after it's announcement. Doesn't matter that development restarted, it was announced in 2017, and your criteria was announcements. I'd say that's pretty close to TLG, to be honest.

If it comes out in mid 2024 or 2025 and if there is evidence that TLG did restart development for a year or two, then yeah they would be in the same category of slowness. But if they literally developed it for that long with no lengthy hiatus, or if MP4 comes out in 2021-2023 (which I think far more likely), then it absolutely is slower by a long shot than the three Nintendo games you mentioned.

Bayo 3 was practically a 2018 announcement (it was December 2017) so it's been just 3 years since it was announced and I'm fairly confident it is coming Fall this year (would be a perfect Halloween game for Nintendo).

I strongly suspect either BOTW 2 or MP4 will be their big holiday title, and the other one will be their big Spring title (which Animal Crossing filled this year). I wouldn't be surprised at all if MP4 comes out this holiday season (2021) and Botw 2 comes out on Botw 1/Switch birthday. If that is the case, then MP4 will only have had 4-5 years of development post announcement (and Retro only really having done like 3 years of development since it started from scratch). If BOTW 2 comes out either this holiday or next Spring it will have been less than 2 years since it was announced before coming out.

It's a joke ... I don't even agree with that comparison for BOTW2 or Bayonetta 3, chill out

And also, that's not even true. 

We're talking about announcements, again your metric not mine. You've said now "they won't take nearly as long as TLG did." and " or if MP4 comes out in 2021-2023 (which I think far more likely), then it absolutely is slower by a long shot ". 

First of all, why say "which I think far more likely" when I literally said the same thing? That MP4 would be 2022-2023. Lol. Second of all. Metroid Prime 4 was announced at E3 2017, so if it came out in holiday of 2022 or holiday of 2023, that's 5.5-6.5 years. Compared that to TLG's 7.5 years. At the least, MP4 would be 73% of TLG's time from announcement to release. In other words, just a quarter away. At 6 years, MP4 would be at 80%. At it's most, it would be at 86.6% of TLG. All of those ranges are absolutely "near" TLG, and definitely not "absolutely slower by a long shot". That's just really bad hyperbole, or a misunderstanding of basic math. 

Dulfite said:

It's a joke ... I don't even agree with that comparison for BOTW2 or Bayonetta 3, chill out

And also, that's not even true. 

We're talking about announcements, again your metric not mine. You've said now "they won't take nearly as long as TLG did." and " or if MP4 comes out in 2021-2023 (which I think far more likely), then it absolutely is slower by a long shot ". 

First of all, why say "which I think far more likely" when I literally said the same thing? That MP4 would be 2022-2023. Lol. Second of all. Metroid Prime 4 was announced at E3 2017, so if it came out in holiday of 2022 or holiday of 2023, that's 5.5-6.5 years. Compared that to TLG's 7.5 years. At the least, MP4 would be 73% of TLG's time from announcement to release. In other words, just a quarter away. At 6 years, MP4 would be at 80%. At it's most, it would be at 86.6% of TLG. All of those ranges are absolutely "near" TLG, and definitely not "absolutely slower by a long shot". That's just really bad hyperbole, or a misunderstanding of basic math. 

Or a difference of opinions on signifance of those gaps. 73-86.6% is absolutely a large gap. That's a C- compared to a B in the grading world. A 73 versus a 86.6 on metacritic aren't close by a long shot. If there is a 13.6% gap in stock values from one stock to the next that is big news for those shareholders.

If you don't think those gaps are longer by a lot, that's fine and your opinion. I do, but I won't insult your ability to do math like you did to me.

Trilogy remaster coming to PS5 is my guess.

But but I thought SIE Japan Studio was going bust. Sony abandoning Japan etc etc

Hopefully its a new ICO.

Around the Network
hinch said:

But but I thought SIE Japan Studio was going bust. Sony abandoning Japan etc etc

Hopefully its a new ICO.

Well that is irrelevant because genDesign is an independent studio, in fact I'm almost sure this will be published by Epic Games given that they announced that their next project would be published by them a while ago.

Dulfite said:

We all know this game will come out 7 years after it is announced, just like the previous game. 2028 looking nice!

We all don’t know shit about that since only one of the games this team developed took longer than expected to produce.

The exception confirms the rule, but it isn’t the rule itself. You could be wise and remember that, instead of resorting to those tired pre-fabricated trolling idiocies.

Last edited by Hynad - on 04 January 2021

Roma said:

let's not assume that just because their last game took so log to release that this will be the same. We don't want another cyberpunk now do we?

OK, but even by typical industry norm, it doesn't seem a stretch to release 2+ years after announcement/preview, + this more hint than preview.

ARamdomGamer said:
hinch said:

Well that is irrelevant because genDesign is an independent studio, in fact I'm almost sure this will be published by Epic Games given that they announced that their next project would be published by them a while ago.

But where's the drama in that? Anyways, people aren't talking about Sony/Epic tie up enough, what's up with that?

Last edited by mutantsushi - on 04 January 2021

Very curious about this one...

This makes me wanna try The Last Guardian. Besides, it’s free through the PS Plus Collection. I really liked (the remade version of) Shadow of the Colossus, so I’m really excited to see what they’re cooking behind the scenes. As for when the game will come out, I think it won’t be too far away from now. They’re not under Sony anymore and Epic might need some compelling permanent exclusive (aka not on Steam) games for, say, 2022/2023.