By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Los angelezs is filled with homeless on drugs now or worser

S.Peelman said:

I was in San Francisco a couple years ago. Felt like we landed in an episode of The Walking Dead. We'd even joke about it, already bad by day, there was this whole gathering behind our hotel below our window at night. Kind of creepy.

In LA I only went to Santa Monica and drove through Hollywood, where it wasn't as bad, I guess, but I suppose it's similar in Downtown LA or wherever.

Bold: It is. Visited downtown LA with family for 2 weeks in Summer 2016 and we were all quite surprised. The financial district is shiny and new but just outside that area it's pretty rough with hundreds of homeless people in some of the big streets.

Hopefully, the US will improve conditions for people without homes and health care in due time. Seeing this in "the World's richest country" felt wrong. In Denmark, we have the World's highest tax rate but that doesn't stop people from getting rich (Denmark is number 6 in the World regarding most $ millionaires per capita). But everyone feels obliged to give back to society considering we all get state financed health care, education, pension, unemployment benefits, educational grant, etc.

It blows my mind to hear how taxes are practically non-existent for some of the most wealthy people and corporations in the US. For years, Bill Gates and others have warned the US government that the taxes are far too low but nothing seems to change.

Around the Network

Lovely Democrat policies that lead to this. They running the entire state into the ground.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:

Lovely Democrat policies that lead to this. They running the entire state into the ground.

Los Angeles native here, this 100%. Why do you think people here a fleeing to Texas and historically red states? Democrat policies pushed out massive companies out the state, Tesla was the last remaining car manufacturer in the state and now they are leaving too.

IvorEvilen said:

I've only lived in Los Angeles and California for 6 years, but maybe I can provide some perspective.

The first important thing to keep in mind is that any state or local spending must be voted on and approved by a ballot measure. California has a lot of "cash", but money raised through taxes can only be spent on what it is allocated for, which effectively ties the hands of elected officials. It is very easy for special interests groups with a lot of cash (such as corporations) to buy votes using public scare ads. This means that a lot of ballot measures get extremely watered down to please everyone, making them incredibly ineffective.... And often results in huge wastes of spending.

Second, incredibly strict building code and zoning laws have been hijacked by NIMBYs and Republicans to stall out construction of high density housing and increased transportation, by scaring everyone with the fear that it will lower their property values and invite undesirables (poor people) to their neighborhoods. Routinely all legislation to fix this at the state level has been stopped because Republicans still hold enough power to kill bills in process, because it's very easy to kill bills long before they reach the floor in California. Trying to keep Republicans and Democrats in particularly purple districts on board generally involves including measures meant to sabotage the bill even if it did pass.

Lastly, California has several disastrous laws that were put in place by Republicans back when they ran the state, that can only be removed by ballot measures and are widely still popular among the public. The chief culprit is 1978's prop 13, which effectively locks in commercial and residential property taxes at the rate they were evaluated at the year of purchase. This effectively is a poor and youth tax, where new property owners, who generally are young and have less wealth, take on a larger tax burden. But that's not even it's worst aspect. The biggest problem with prop 13 is that it encourages older people (in this case boomers) to not move, because buying a smaller retirement home would have a higher tax cost or because they intended to transfer their home to their children when they pass away. Kids can inherit the lower tax rate in California. This has effectively killed the natural life cycle of home ownership, and there are a lot of elderly people living in large homes that really would be better served by a young family with several kids.

What I think surprises a lot of people is that California is not as liberal as political opponents from out of state typically claim in their rhetoric. California has a lot of social liberals who are economically very conservative. People who own homes may know their property value is bloated, and they hate to see all the homelessness, but they don't want any solution that could correct THEIR property's value. It's incredibly selfish, because any real solution to address the California housing crisis is gonna lower property values. It's the whole "well, I got mine" attitude that makes people complacent.

It's also worth pointing out too, that because of California's nice weather, a lot of homeless choose to live outside or in their cars. Living in a shelter often risks giving up everything you own, and many people choose the sidewalk tent over a bed in a shelter.

That being said, I've lived in California for 6 years, and it's way nicer than where I grew up in the Midwest. Sure, I see the occasional homeless person, but I saw that too back in Indiana. What people don't realize is that Los Angeles is HUGE. The vast majority of it does not look like those videos at all.

I feel that, as much as you absolutely nailed it, your post is too long and too incompatible with preconceived notions to actually be absorbed by some folks. Still, agreed 100%.

EspadaGrim said:
sales2099 said:

Los Angeles native here, this 100%. Why do you think people here a fleeing to Texas and historically red states? Democrat policies pushed out massive companies out the state, Tesla was the last remaining car manufacturer in the state and now they are leaving too.

Yeah that is fake news and right wing propaganda IvorEvilen explained what actually causes the problem.

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:
EspadaGrim said:

Yeah that is fake news and right wing propaganda IvorEvilen explained what actually causes the problem.

California has voted Democrat since Bill Clinton in the 90s. If you can’t remove homeless tents and trash that is due to the result of the people in charge, and whatever policies they believe in. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Chris Hu said:

California has voted Democrat since Bill Clinton in the 90s. If you can’t remove homeless tents and trash that is due to the result of the people in charge, and whatever policies they believe in. 

Homelessness in the USA is pretty much a state issue not a national issue the last president that actually cared for the homeless was LBJ a Democrat.  As far as I know no Republican president actually did anything significant to reduce the homeless problem in the USA.

EspadaGrim said:
sales2099 said:

And the worst part, many of those fleeing from states/cities that have been run (more like run into the ground) by Dems for decades, now, bring their leftist politics with them when they move. Interesting how it's mostly people fleeing Dem states to move into Rep states, yet they can't put two and two together that by voting for the exact same kind of politicians and policies they were in their old state will turn their new safe haven into the same crappy place they used to live.

Chris Hu said:
sales2099 said:

Homelessness in the USA is pretty much a state issue not a national issue the last president that actually cared for the homeless was LBJ a Democrat.  As far as I know no Republican president actually did anything significant to reduce the homeless problem in the USA.

Why would you want the president to be some omnipotent ruler to control everything. That's not his job, not should it be. No, this problem in popping up in Dem controlled states/cities. Instead of fixing the problem, they are encouraging it by giving out drug needles and tents, decriminalizing hard drugs, and forming poop patrols to clean up where these people just shit in the streets.

Love California's weather but I don't know how most afford to live there. My buddies 3.5+ million dollar house near San Francisco is smaller than homes in the 275,000 range in Minnesota.