By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why doesn't Xbox sell as well as Switch or Playstation in Europe?

javi741 said:

What is the main reason?

1) History. Nintendo & Playstation are the original crew. Xbox came much lateron and didn't really set itself apart in a positive light.

2) Games. Sony did research/surveys, and found europe is the place in the world that seems to enjoy single player story focused games the most.

So its basically just, MS focus on smaller budget games & services with gamepass, and its heavily Multiplayer focus, are just a miss for the market.
However even when they weren't so focused on that, they still didn't really beat playstation (at the games) or hardware sales there (because of history). People like to buy what they are formilur with, to get people to change, you need to really 1up the competition, which sadly MS hasnt done.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 13 December 2020

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:

First, it seems like historically, American brands have been shunned by Europeans (except the UK).

Second, Playstation and Nintendo were already established manufacturers when the Xbox arrived. It might be that most part of the market as grounded itself too much already for Microsoft to hope in a magical breakthrough, except in case of major mess by one of it's rivals (ex. PS3 early on was not a desirable product which led the Xbox to gain massive share but then they reversed in the last gen which made them lose most of their grounding to the PS crowd).

Third, as usual, Microsoft had problem playing with the exclusive titles card which is a cornerstone technique as to why people would basically want your hardware in the first places.

Thats BS.
If anything, I think americans just love to buy american, is part of why xbox does so well in the US.
If america was less biased (towards their own products), you would see xbox vs playstation in the US, be much like in europe.
(I think most europeans, would rather buy american than japanese, if all things where equal, but their not)

Europe isnt anti buying american products.

2nd part is right though. Theres history with Nintendo and playstation.
A late comer, will have to prove it self, and show itself off in a better light than its competition to win market share. MS hasnt done that with Xbox here.
If anything, I think last gen, cemented "just go playstation" mentality.

Americans in threads, please stop the "eu is anti buying american products" excuse, or blame logic.
Its not true, and annouying to run into everytime someone makes a "why doesnt MS sell better in other parts of the world?" thread.

Maybe the issue isnt the entire world? but the US? maybe the reason it does well there, is because americans buy whatever is american instead of other way around? Usually americans dont like to think like this though.

*edit:
Case in point:

RolStoppable said:

There's a general attitude in mainland Europe that is wary of the USA, as opposed to a general attitude in the UK that they rather be closer to the USA than mainland Europe, both politically and economically. This is why the console market of the UK is at odds with the countries of mainland Europe, because the general perception of the USA differs greatly.

From the perspective of mainland Europe, Microsoft is pretty much the poster child of what it means to be American, capitalistic to the degree of being oppressive. If Microsoft can be reasonably avoided, then that's what most people in mainland Europe will do. Xbox has a very similar game catalogue as PS, but it's not of much use even at lower console prices; Xbox tends to have better deals in retail chains, but people would rather pay a little more to get the same games.

There are no special feelings in either direction towards Japanese companies, so Nintendo and Sony carry no baggage like Microsoft. The only noteworthy exception is France which seems rather fond of Japanese culture and entertainment, hence why anime used to be popular in France well before other European countries; so being associated with Japan counts at least as a small advantage instead of being irrelevant.

BS.

People need to stop this. Xbox is just unpopular because it never once really took a lead (with games) and ran with it.
If Xbox consistantly made better games, that were enjoyed by more europeans, then overtime it would start selling more and more.
The fact that it hasnt, is why its getting beat by playstation here.

It has nothing to do with "eu = anti buy us products".

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 13 December 2020

Somini said:
vivster said:

It's not that it sells worse in Europe, it just sells unrealistically high in the US. It really is a miracle that it sells as much as it does.

This. No idea why it sells half as "good" as it does to begin with, with the little amount of games it gets.

This :D lmao.

Surpriseing someone actually said this before in thread.

It does in certain parts of Europe like the UK where we feel a strong cultural bond with the US, but I'm from the UK, would consider myself culturally similar to the US or Canada( Music, Movies, TV shows, clothing, language etc) but in my home we own a PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5, 3 NIntendo Switches, 2 laptops and only 1 xbox one. I would deffo put myself into the Sony camp.

Europe is multiple different countries with a much higher degree of variation in tastes and cultures in comparison to the US, the result is the appeal of the platform mainly hits countries that have similar degrees of taste as the US with one example being the UK which is MS' best market in Europe. Everywhere else PS and Nintendo platforms fair better as their approach is more able to cater to the varied tastes of the region and in Sony's case they are better than other platform holders at distributing their platform right across the region and where the first to really do so essentially treating Europe as a proper region like NA and Japan before anyone else so PS became a go to brand over here for most Europeans.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
vivster said:

It's not that it sells worse in Europe, it just sells unrealistically high in the US. It really is a miracle that it sells as much as it does.

Americans are patriots. There were also more than 70 million people who voted Trump, so it's not a miracle that there is a large number of Americans who want to buy an American box.

Then you admit, that part of why it does well in the US, is because americans buy anything american.
Following that logic, the reason it doesnt do the same in europe.....

Is not because europe is anti buying american products? but because we re not americans, that buy anything american?

If Americans buy consoles based on patriotism, then explain to me why Japanese cars dominate the American market. On the other hand, when I went to Germany I saw a lot of the crappy VWs and Audis on the streets and almost none of the much superior Toyotas and Hondas. There might be trade barriers that prevent a bigger presence o Japanese cars in that market though. I don’t know.

A big portion of Americans are patriots for the right reasons, such as their history and their accomplishments as a nation. Can I say the same about Europeans, when they buy inferior European cars and prefer to pay more for a console that offers 90% of the same content as their closest competitor, because it’s not American? If anything, this weird and quite frankly ungrateful anti-American sentiment in Europe seems bigger than patriotism in America.

Valdney said:

If Americans buy consoles based on patriotism, then explain to me why Japanese cars dominate the American market. On the other hand, when I went to Germany I saw a lot of the crappy VWs and Audis on the streets and almost none of the much superior Toyotas and Hondas. There might be trade barriers that prevent a bigger presence o Japanese cars in that market though. I don’t know.

A big portion of Americans are patriots for the right reasons, such as their history and their accomplishments as a nation. Can I say the same about Europeans, when they buy inferior European cars and prefer to pay more for a console that offers 90% of the same content as their closest competitor, because it’s not American? If anything, this weird and quite frankly ungrateful anti-American sentiment in Europe seems bigger than patriotism in America.

Europeans weigh, size and weight, and how far a car can drive pr litter gas, alot more than americans do.
Alot of people dont want a big super car, or a "superior" (bigger/expensive car).

They want something thats small enough to make getting around narrow lanes, and has easy parking (again down to size), and doesnt use too much gas. Some of this is due to things that add to costs, like a "weight tax" on cars, and how expensive gas is in europe.

1 litter is like 0,25 gallons (abit more, but roughly) and costs like 1,60$  (so thats like paying 6,4$ pr gallon at a gas station).
(apparently thats like 3-4 times as much as in the USA?)

Also if europe was so against Toyotas, then why is it like the 2nd or 3rd most bought brand in europe (currently)?

To be honest I don't think anti-US sentiment or anything like that are the main reason. Remember the Xbox 360 sold decently well in Europe. If the Xbox was a good proposition, people in Europe would buy it. 

The real reason honestly is probably going to be taste in games. Let's just think for a second about the main Xbox exclusive IPs, the 2 big ones are probably Halo and Gears of War. Xbox in general is the "shooters console", and most of its best exclusives are indeed FPS games. First person shooters are not exactly unpopular in Europe; I definitely know plenty of people who play shooter games. But they probably aren't as popular as in the US.

To continue the analogy to car brands, as someone who lives in Europe; some American brands do decently well in Europe; these being the ones that have a better product for the different needs of European customers. Ford in particular is a decently popular brand, it is not uncommon at all to find Ford vehicles. The Ford Transit regularly appears on "best selling vans" lists here in Spain. And the Ford Fiesta is also a decently popular car. However, a vehicle like the Ford F series (huge pickup trucks) would never sell in Europe despite being the best selling car in the US. Ford seems to have done well and sold small vehicles (and vans) in Europe, and pickup trucks in the US.

If Microsoft offered a product that had exclusives and an image better oriented towards the tastes of Europeans, more Europeans would buy it.

The reason is interestingly not that different from the reason why Xbox sells horribly in Japan, except toned down by a lot (European sales figures are still way better than Japanese ones for Xbox).

I will also note that it is kind of hard to categorize Europe as a single coherent entity. Indeed, in the UK Xbox does reasonably well. However, here in Spain Xbox (other than briefly at the 360's peak) is almost non-existent and Playstation is almost synonymous with video games as a whole. Even the Vita sold decently in Spain! And in Eastern Europe if I am not mistaken PC gaming is still king over consoles.

So you can't do a quick explanation and can't really use "Europe" as a coherent entity.