By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Overall, has Capcom been the best Third Party dev/publisher for Nintendo?

Overall, has Capcom been the best Third Party dev/publisher for Nintendo?

Yes 12 31.58%

No 20 52.63%

Maybe 6 15.79%

See Results 0 0%

Total:38

Hard to say as they fluctuated a lot, from excellent on the NES, SNES, Gamecube and Wii, to very poor on N64 and Wii U.

Their support on Switch in terms of games released to date has been a sad parade of ancient ports, but with Monster Hunter Rise, Stories 2, and apparently a new Resident Evil game on the way, they might end up one of the Switch's best supporters by the end of its life, even if they were very late to the party.

Rise alone is enough to redeem them in my book, it's looking like it will be one of the best and biggest third party efforts on the system.

Around the Network

I'm going to compare my preferences with success based on VG Charts, and work out a number between. It's not an exact science... it's actually not science at all! Let's see how this works out. I'll give partial points for ties. Devs that are essentially working for a publisher are listed by the Publisher; I put Chunsoft as Enix, which can be argued, but Chunsoft was basically Enix's main video game dev house on NES.

Console - Publisher, Developer, my preference

NES - Enix, Enix, Enix
Gameboy - Squaresoft, Gamefreak, Squaresoft
SNES - Capcom, Rare, Squaresoft (though I really liked Rare and Enix this gen, too)
N64 - Acclaim Entertainment, Rare, Rare (note, EA and THQ were strong competition as publishers)
GBA - THQ, Gamefreak, Squaresoft
Gamecube - Sega, Sega, Sega
DS - Square Enix, Gamefreak, Square Enix (Note, THQ, EA, Disney, and Sega also had strong showings as publishers - also, I really liked Level 5, Intelligent Systems, and Capcom this generation, but even with the Squaresoft side of things I think they win, the DQ games sealed it)
Wii - Ubisoft, Ubisoft, Marvelous
3DS - Capcom, Gamefreak, Intelligent Systems (Note, Level 5 actually had way more top 100 developed games than Gamefreak, but Pokemon just monsterslams everything in total sales)
Wii U - Ubisoft/Disney/Activision/Sega (Their sales sucked, though; Mojang was the only with a high selling game, but it was their only one), Namco (top dev), no favourite 3rd party (I feel it's unfair to list HAL for the Earthbound port)
Switch - Ubisoft, Gamefreak, Square Enix

PUBLISHER

0. Square Enix Combo - 3
1. Ubisoft 2.25
2. Capcom - 2
3. Sega - 1.25
4. Enix - 1
4. Squareoft - 1
4. Square Enix - 1
4. THQ - 1
4. Acclaim - 1
9. Disney -0.25
9. Activision-0.25

DEVELOPER

Gamefreak 5
Rare - 2
Enix - 1
Sega - 1
Ubisoft - 1
Namco - 1

MY PREFERENCE

0. Square Enix Group - 6
1. Squaresoft - 3
2. Square Enix - 2
3. Enix - 1
3. Rare - 1
3. Intelligent Systems - 1
3. Sega - 1
3. Marvelous - 1

OVERALL

0. Square Enix Group - 10
1. Gamefreak - 5
2. Sega - 4.25
3. Squaresoft - 4
4. Ubisoft - 3.25
5. Enix - 3
5. Square Enix - 3
5. Rare - 3
5. THQ - 3
5. Capcom - 3
10. Marvelous - 1
10. Intelligent Systems - 1
10. Acclaim - 1
10. Namco - 1
14. Disney - 0.3
14. Activision - 0.3

If I had bonus points to give out, they'd probably go to Rare as I see them as the only third party to ever rival Nintendo on their own consoles with strong critical and commercial success on SNES and N64. Gamefreak is running small variations of the same design across generations, I am not impressed by them; nor am I impressed by Namco's cloning of Smash Bros on Wii U. While Rare was often under the wing of Nintendo, their games were distinct. I also feel Level 5 is a bit underrepresented because of Gamefreak, but there's no arguing with those numbers.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.