By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Do you think PlayStation 5 sales will be as good as Nintendo Switch sales?

Cohh said:

Here we are again. I mean I am the only one that remembers people predicting the Wii would maybe do better than the Ps2, that the Ps4 wouldn't pass the 100 million, that the Switch would fail, that the PsP/DS would be a tight race. Many of those predictions were done many months or even years after the launch. So sorry but I don't think that anyone can actually really know how many Switch or PS5 are going to be sold.

I don't ever remember anyone saying that PS4 wouldn't clear 100 million, if anything all of the early guesstimates were that it would surpass PS2 numbers. As for Switch, I think the PS5 and Series X hardware droughts are only going to make it reach new heights in their yearly install base. 

Around the Network

No, you're not objective, the Nintendo Switch is already beating the PS4 so the PS5 is nothing

Doctor_MG said:
PotentHerbs said:

Traditionally, most people don't consider handhelds as consoles, but even if you consider them "handheld consoles," it's not comparable to home consoles since handhelds are a completely different market. 

"handhelds are a completely different market"

They aren't a completely different market, they are a subsection of the same market. Videogame consoles is a market, then there are subsections of "home" and "Handheld". 

You're arguing semantics at this point.

Handhelds have a different demographic than consoles similar to mobile gaming. Both are part of the videogame market but what made the PS4 successful differ from what made the DS successful. Just look at the difference in price, technology, portability, third party support, or even IP's like God of War & GTA that were made for the PSP. What do you think happens if the 3DS is priced the same as the PS4 at launch? What about if the PS4 dropped below $200 like the 3DS for the majority of its time on the market?

The Nintendo Switch is one of the best-selling consoles for a long time if the Switch lasts at least 6 years then the Nintendo Switch will end up at 150 or 160 million units, the PlayStation 5 will end up at 120 or even 130 million.
Knowing that the Nintendo Switch dominates the American and Japanese market. (also French)

Evilms said:

the ps5 will do better than the switch, without a doubt

Is this an overall estimate or are you stating year on year, because Switch will most like be the highest selling console for the next few years...

Around the Network
Ck1x said:
Cohh said:

Here we are again. I mean I am the only one that remembers people predicting the Wii would maybe do better than the Ps2, that the Ps4 wouldn't pass the 100 million, that the Switch would fail, that the PsP/DS would be a tight race. Many of those predictions were done many months or even years after the launch. So sorry but I don't think that anyone can actually really know how many Switch or PS5 are going to be sold.

I don't ever remember anyone saying that PS4 wouldn't clear 100 million, if anything all of the early guesstimates were that it would surpass PS2 numbers. As for Switch, I think the PS5 and Series X hardware droughts are only going to make it reach new heights in their yearly install base. 

There was a thread on here sometime in 2017/2018 with a few users doubting PS4 lifetime sales to exceed 100+ Million.

PotentHerbs said:
Doctor_MG said:

"handhelds are a completely different market"

They aren't a completely different market, they are a subsection of the same market. Videogame consoles is a market, then there are subsections of "home" and "Handheld". 

You're arguing semantics at this point.

Handhelds have a different demographic than consoles similar to mobile gaming. Both are part of the videogame market but what made the PS4 successful differ from what made the DS successful. Just look at the difference in price, technology, portability, third party support, or even IP's like God of War & GTA that were made for the PSP. What do you think happens if the 3DS is priced the same as the PS4 at launch? What about if the PS4 dropped below $200 like the 3DS for the majority of its time on the market?

The PlayStation 2 also had a price drop to 99 euros / dollars

YanisFromFrance said:

The PlayStation 2 also had a price drop to 99 euros / dollars

It did but that's an outlier for Playstation consoles. 

No way to tell because it's too early to tell. But highly unlikely due to various reasons. Switch is a unique console that's hard to match. I mean depending on stock, it might be the first console to sell more than 30mil. The ps4'd best year barely had it above 20mil. I don't see any real reason yet why ps5 would match this milestone from the switch. But the future will tell

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

The Nintendo Switch dominates the biggest markets. So yes, Switch sales will be higher