By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Weekly sales Gen 9 1st week edition =]

DonFerrari said:
Sogreblute said:
Both consoles sold out, so if they had more stock it would be more. Even Xbox would have been higher. I think they're doing lotteries for both systems.

Yep both were, not sure how much demand were for the lottery tickets for Xbox since no one talked over it on the resetera thread, but anedoctal two people were talking about themselves or close relatives and one had 5 and the other 50 tickets and neither got sorted to buy a PS5.

Marth said:
Acevil said:
I would say pretty bad Supply and pretty bad launch numbers. People can slice this anyway they want, these are not great numbers.

Software is the most concerning part.

We all knew hardware would be bad but current software sales paint a dire picture.
Even if you are generous with digital sales.

One of the suppositions (and it makes sense) is that to many of these systems were bought by scalpers, so people that didn't secure a console had no reason to buy the SW, also they could have bought the PS4 version and get access to it on 2 systems.

Decided to check and yes there are next gen console for sale on craigslist and offer up in my area for a little premium. Scalpers gonna scalp

edit: for anybody curious between 900-1.4k for a PS5 and 850 to 1k for a Series X also saw an S for 450

Last edited by Chicho - on 19 November 2020

Around the Network
Sogreblute said:
Barkley said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:
Damn Sony really gave the finger to Japan. Hopefully shipment numbers go up for the holidays

I mean, less than they did last gen when they made Japan wait till February. Which is probably why PS5 numbers are so much lower than PS4. PS4 they could allocate more stock for Japan launch cause the rest of the world already had it.

The fact the Switch launched WW on the same day and still sold 300K + in Japan shows Sony has less interest in Japan than ever. 

Sounds like someone who has no idea about tech.

PS5 uses cutting edge semiconducters: AMD's Zen 3 7nm node, a SSD that is faster than anything on the market and GDDR6 RAM. The manufacturing of these processes are fare more difficult than anything SW has.

Not to mention PS5 is most likely going to break all records and be the best selling console launch of all time.

Marth said:
PotentHerbs said:
RolStoppable said:
PotentHerbs said:

I don't think its a big deal that the PS5 first week is lower than the PS4 first week when you consider the amount of countries Sony is selling in. The PS5 will continue to expand the market which will make up for declining Japan sales.

Its not like Capcom or Square are abandoning the PS5.

I consider it a big deal. The way Sony handled this, it will be quickly established for all the small and midsized Japanese publishers that returning to PS exclusivity is absolutely not an option, rather they will double down on getting Switch versions out day and date with the PS versions. And in turn the global perception that Switch is the console to play Japanese games on will only grow.

Considering how Capcom, Square Enix, and From Software titles sell in the West, I doubt that. 

Do those publishers fit into the description Rol gave?

What publishers is he talking about because there are still many notable small-mid PS4/5 Japanese games not on SW:

1. Persona
  2. Yakuza
  3. Sakura Wars
  4. Nier
  5. Babylon
  6. Nioh
  7. Tales of Arise
  8. Several Falcom games
  9. Aegis 13 Sentinels

Both ecosystems have lost exclusives, I'd say Nintendo have lost far more notable exclusives to Playstation than vice versa this gen:

1. MH
  2. DQ
  3. Yokai Watch
  4. AA
  5. RE Revelations
Last edited by src - on 19 November 2020

src said:
Sogreblute said:
Barkley said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:
Damn Sony really gave the finger to Japan. Hopefully shipment numbers go up for the holidays

I mean, less than they did last gen when they made Japan wait till February. Which is probably why PS5 numbers are so much lower than PS4. PS4 they could allocate more stock for Japan launch cause the rest of the world already had it.

The fact the Switch launched WW on the same day and still sold 300K + in Japan shows Sony has less interest in Japan than ever. 

PS5 uses cutting edge semiconducters: AMD's Zen 3 7nm node, a SSD that is faster than anything on the market and GDDR6 RAM. The manufacturing of these processes are fare more difficult than anything SW has.

Not to mention PS5 is most likely going to break all records and be the best selling console launch of all time.

Marth said:
PotentHerbs said:
RolStoppable said:
PotentHerbs said:

I don't think its a big deal that the PS5 first week is lower than the PS4 first week when you consider the amount of countries Sony is selling in. The PS5 will continue to expand the market which will make up for declining Japan sales.

Its not like Capcom or Square are abandoning the PS5.

I consider it a big deal. The way Sony handled this, it will be quickly established for all the small and midsized Japanese publishers that returning to PS exclusivity is absolutely not an option, rather they will double down on getting Switch versions out day and date with the PS versions. And in turn the global perception that Switch is the console to play Japanese games on will only grow.

Considering how Capcom, Square Enix, and From Software titles sell in the West, I doubt that. 

What publishers is he talking about because there are still many notable small-mid PS4/5 Japanese games not on SW:

1. Persona
  2. Yakuza
  3. Sakura Wars
  4. Nier
  5. Babylon
  6. Nioh
  7. Tales of Arise
  8. Several Falcom games
  9. Aegis 13 Sentinels

Both ecosystems have lost exclusives, I'd say Nintendo have lost far more notable exclusives to Playstation than vice versa this gen:

1. MH
  2. DQ
  3. Yokai Watch
  4. AA
  5. RE Revelations

Technically, Nintendo has P5S and Persona Q 1 and 2 :P. Though now that you mention games like Sakura Wars and Persona, it probably wouldn’t hurt to see some of them come to Switch. If there’s an opportunity to gain more fans from releasing games in other platforms, I don’t see why not. The latest Sakura Wars and Aegis 13 apparently didn’t sell as well as some have hoped and don’t appear as taxing on the Switch as like The Witcher 3 (based on limited footage I saw from those games).

Edit: I like how you put “Several Falcom games” as it’s own category. Just to cover a basis since Ys and Trials have ports and new games coming to Switch.

Last edited by Kai_Mao - on 19 November 2020

Real telling story here are those awful software numbers. The two big sellers for the system combined selling just a third of PS5's total sales does not build confidence. Maybe scalpers are the reason, but it would seem weird that two-thirds of the system's sales were to scalpers. There is also the fact that some people will buy both titles. I wonder then if people are buying it to just have it. Basically, it's the diehard fans or the techies that are getting it day 1. If that's the case, this system will sell abysmally over there in the long-run. Now, it's Japan and console gaming has been struggling for a while, but if we see a similar trend popping up for both systems worldwide then it spells trouble for Gen 9. I'm not seeing the same enthusiasm for this Generation as Generation 8 had and it may be very lackluster. I'm not seeing any title within the next 18 months that are going to light the world on fire (Maybe that's Halo Infinite but who knows). If the trend holds, than PS5+SeriesX will be below PS4+XBox1.

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

Kai_Mao said:
src said:

Marth said:

1. Persona
  2. Yakuza
  3. Sakura Wars
  4. Nier
  5. Babylon
  6. Nioh
  7. Tales of Arise
  8. Several Falcom games
  9. Aegis 13 Sentinels

1. MH
  2. DQ
  3. Yokai Watch
  4. AA
  5. RE Revelations

Technically, Nintendo has P5S and Persona Q 1 and 2 :P. Though now that you mention games like Sakura Wars and Persona, it probably wouldn’t hurt to see some of them come to Switch. If there’s an opportunity to gain more fans from releasing games in other platforms, I don’t see why not. The latest Sakura Wars and Aegis 13 apparently didn’t sell as well as some have hoped and don’t appear as taxing on the Switch as like The Witcher 3 (based on limited footage I saw from those games).

Edit: I like how you put “Several Falcom games” as it’s own category. Just to cover a basis since Ys and Trials have ports and new games coming to Switch.

It's funny because all Ys new games go to Switch. But, in his mind, is exclusive. 

Around the Network
VideoGameAccountant said:

Real telling story here are those awful software numbers. The two big sellers for the system combined selling just a third of PS5's total sales does not build confidence. Maybe scalpers are the reason, but it would seem weird that two-thirds of the system's sales were to scalpers. There is also the fact that some people will buy both titles. I wonder then if people are buying it to just have it. Basically, it's the diehard fans or the techies that are getting it day 1. If that's the case, this system will sell abysmally over there in the long-run. Now, it's Japan and console gaming has been struggling for a while, but if we see a similar trend popping up for both systems worldwide then it spells trouble for Gen 9. I'm not seeing the same enthusiasm for this Generation as Generation 8 had and it may be very lackluster. I'm not seeing any title within the next 18 months that are going to light the world on fire (Maybe that's Halo Infinite but who knows). If the trend holds, than PS5+SeriesX will be below PS4+XBox1.

Yes SW sales is the most strange and worrisome, ok Spider-Man isn't a japanese taste game but still sold well on PS4 and Demon's Souls is a remaster but from an IP that is well enough popular over there. Second week and rest of the year will help us understand a little better.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994