By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ghost Of Tsushima Sales Surpass 5 Million Copies Sold

Evilms said:
Bristow9091 said:
Evilms said:
And 51 million for the god of war franchise (God of War 2018 close to 20 million copies sold).

Wait, what? God of War 2018 is almost at 20m?! That's insane if true! 

The New York Times ( https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/11/technology/sony-playstation-5-ps5.html ) reveals that the God Of War franchise has exceeded 51 million copies sold in the world since its debut on PlayStation 2.

Sales of the series reached 22 million copies before the release of God Of War Ascension and 29 million just before the release of the PS4 opus.

In May 2019, the game had sold more than 11 million copies in just one year.

It is easy to estimate that Santa Monica Studio's latest release must be fairly close to the 20 million copies sold since its launch.

Thanks for the info, made the thread. Now that we are near transition would be great to try and recount the number of million sellers and the sales of the exclusives. To sad the info on VGC isn't good for it anymore.

JRPGfan said:
DonFerrari said:
JRPGfan said:
Bristow9091 said:
Evilms said:
And 51 million for the god of war franchise (God of War 2018 close to 20 million copies sold).

Wait, what? God of War 2018 is almost at 20m?! That's insane if true! 

Thats what their saying on neogaf.

Link so I can create the thread, or you can make it. It deserves celebration.

Im not sure its actually past 20m yet, its probably not far from it though.

Should be close. Used the info from Evil to create the thread.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

well-earned! This is why Sony tends to do better, they keep releasing great games well into their console's life cycle. 2020 was a banner year for Ps4 when they coulda put shit to the side to focus on Ps5. Good for them! Oh, and sucker Punch is great. I've loved all three of the games/franchises they've been a part of that I'm aware of (Sly cooper, inFamous, and now Ghost of Tsushima). Them and Insomniac are basically running perfect scores.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Another day, another new IP from Sony on pace to selling over 10+ Million units lifetime. Reviews would have been better too if multiplayer was available at launch.

Gratulation for the best Open World and Samurai-Game of all time!! My Game of the Year, Its EPIC and so beautiful =)By the way: Ghost of Tsushima with 60 FPS on PlayStation 5@Launch =)And a Coop-Mode is free for everyone! @Game

Zombie9ers said:

Via PushSquare:

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/11/ghost_of_tsushima_sales_exceed_five_million_in_just_four_months

Great milestone for this new IP!

The newly released Legends expansion should help give it some long legs.

If you haven't played the main game yet - I highly recommend playing with the Japanese voiceovers on.  

You can even change it to a film grain black and white setting like the old Samurai movies.

And another great News for this topic: "Ghost of Tsushima is our fastest-selling first-party original PS4 game with more than 5 million copies sold since its debut in July," said Hulst. "What an incredible achievement by Sucker Punch Productions."

Ryotsu said:

Oh Yeah, i love this character and his japanese voice + Zorro (from One Piece)

Around the Network

5 million? That's it? Only... 5... million?

About time to buy a copy me thinks.

I mean, free DLC, like common.

Congratulations Suckerpunch they are one of my favourite Developers that gave me the best launch title of last genWill play this masterpiece in full glory in 4k on the ps5

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

pretty good for a game that didn't light up the reviews. Glad the days of Sony games selling well is here. Still remember the days when a well made ps3 exclusive would only sell around 1 million copies.

Drakrami said:
pretty good for a game that didn't light up the reviews. Glad the days of Sony games selling well is here. Still remember the days when a well made ps3 exclusive would only sell around 1 million copies.

It was a rare case of audiences/gamers loving it more than the critics, so it's not surprising. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Both GoT and Days Gone have made massive post launch improvements. I originally gave Days Gone a score of 7.8, but damn if it hasn't gone up to a solid 8/10 by now. GoT has a friggin CO-OP mode now. That's a serious post-launch improvement. Sucker Punch has gone above and beyond the call of duty with this game. They deserve those 5 million sales and then some. I can't wait for Days Gone 2, and GoT2. They should both be out in about three years, since most of the engine and assets from the first games are already done. PS5 should do really well with a bunch of sequels to PS4 games. Days Gone 2, GoT2, Horizon 2, GoW Ragnarok.