By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Jon Doyle - Xbox Series X is the 2013 Xbox one, bar everything but Name - False claims

Is he right? this online DRM makes XSX basically the 2013 xbox?

yes 8 61.54%

no 5 38.46%

Total:13
SvennoJ said:

It was in the Eurogamer review, although just briefly mentioned

Similar to other Xboxes (and unlike Sony consoles), an online connection is mandatory to get going, and the process here is exactly like Xbox One - which is to say, time-consuming and rather frustrating. It's all in stark contrast to the user interface itself, which feels so fast and responsive - a genuine joy to use.

Nothing about having to connect again after a cold boot :/ What's the point in setting it as your home/primary console?

And now that seals it. Never getting an Xbox series X.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

I think it might be a little early for doom-and-gloom, but this is concerning. More info is needed before I accept this as anything more than one dude's bad day.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II, Rock Band 4

Wouldn't put too much stock into what he says after looking through his twitter, all I can say is yikes...

Anyway we have Xbox users here to verify his claims, like me!

Just disconnected myself from the internet, performed a full restart, opened up AC Valhalla and I'm currently playing it offline.

From my understanding you only need a internet connection for the initial setup - Although I'm not too sure about that, as I didn't test that nor am I factory resetting my console to test it.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 11 November 2020

shikamaru317 said:
JRPGfan said:
shikamaru317 said:

People are saying that he didn't set it back to his home console after the reset. Offline play is only available on a home console, same as Xbox One. 

This might actually be all that it is.

Ryuu96 said:

Wouldn't put too much stock into what he says after looking through his twitter, all I can say is yikes...

Anyway we have Xbox users here to verify his claims, like me!

Just disconnected myself from the internet, performed a full restart, opened up AC Valhalla and I'm currently playing it offline.

From my understanding you only need a internet connection for the initial setup.

If thats the case, lock this thread please.
Just a random guy on tweeter spouting nonsense then.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

Playstation 5, doesnt require you to be online to play games offline.

You dont even have to patch games to play them via backwards compatability.
You basically just put the disc in and it runs (even in offline mode).

Xbox is walking a differnt path than playstation here.

Everything I'm reading suggests that PS5 is the exact same as Xbox Series in this regard. Game sharing is only available on one console at a time on PS5 so as to prevent people from sharing their digital libraries with all of their friends. 

As for back compat, PS5 can read PS4 discs, and I assume that Xbox Series can read Xbox One discs and install those games straight from the disc. Only 360 and OG Xbox BC games have to be downloaded since Xbox can't pull the game install from those older discs. You pop-in a 360 or OG Xbox disc, and it automatically initiates a digital download of that game that can only be played while the disc is in the drive.