By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Assassin's Creed Valhalla: PS5 vs Xbox Series X - Updated NX Gamer - Update Digital Foundry

Were you expecting a big advantage for the XSX?

Yes 20 32.79%

No 41 67.21%

Total:61

Digital Foundry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzaSrS1fsvc

TL DR:  (cant be arsed to watch DF video?)

PS5 & XSX useing exact same graphics quality presets.
Resolutions for everything exact same (Dynamic resolution 4k, dips down to 1440p., Action scenes often near 1440p)
(testing only revealed a few spots where it ran higher resolutions on PS5, usually theres parity)

Screen Tearing:

"Xbox def. tear more often, and those tears spend more time in the middle of the screen,
which means the xsx is performing lower, you... uh know... it has a lower performance, it depends
on the scene to scene, its not always easy to catch tears useing our software.
Esp on playstation platform for certain reasons, but you know.. we have done some back to back testing here" - DF

Mentions (shows) a area where you open a door, and on xsx it drops to 53 fps and has constant screen tearing.
While on the PS5 its 60 locked and has no tearing.

"so its running quite abit better on the PS5" - DF (in reguards to tearing)

Framerates:
Playstation 5 seems to do a better job, keeping 60fps during combat (has some drops in a few cutscenes).

"during gameplay, its shockingly stable (60fps)" - DF

Bugs:

Xbox series X, has a issue with the light sources of the torch, drastically impacting performance.
So at night, when its casting shodows, fps drops to mid 40's to low 50s and stays there (with screen tearing).
(PS5 has minor tearings doing the same area/test, but its near 60 fps stable (much less distracting picture))

"I would discribe PS5 version as pretty much a stable 60, with occasional little dips.
series x, def. needs some work, because if your playing a normal display, the tearing is extreme distracting." - DF

Camra (bug) doesnt move at a steady rate, on XSX  (stutter stopping).
This makes it "feel" like the game runs alot worse than it actually does (compaired to its FPS counter).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Texture quality, differences?:

PR5 on Right, XSX on left.

PS5 textures seem sharper.... DF didn't mention this at all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*update: Frame tests:

PS5 spends 98,1% of the time at 16.67 ms or under.
XSX spends 88,92% of the time at 16,67 ms or under.

PS5 keeps 60 fps alot more often than the XSX in this game.

XSX has more than 5 times as much frame tearing as well.
You get a more smooth experiance, playing this game on a PS5.

***** Update: NX gamer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c2nkJLQxQo

Summery:

Dynamic 4k on both. 
NX GAmer noticed 1440p lowest res, on the XSX, and 1620p on the PS5.
PS5 has V-sync, XSX doesnt (frame tearing).
PS5 loads ~12%+ faster.
Both Hold 60 fps quite well (basically no performance differnces, in his short testing of it )

Biggest differnce between old PS4/XB1 vs  PS5/XSX?
60 fps (instead of 30)
Better tesselation, and draw distances.
Apart from that, it basically looks the same (according to NX gamer).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TLDR:
So the short of it, is theres barely any noticeable differnce.
PS5 version runs abit smoother (madated VSync on) while the Xbox Series X has frame tearing.
(hence the DF comment, about it looking fantastic on XSX if your TV supports Varriable refresh rates (VRR))

So far it looks like:

PS5 has better textures. 
PS5 has better framerate.
PS5 has significantly less tearing.  *(minor tearing issue, its not that often)
PS5 has faster loading.   *(apparently its minor, like 12% differnce)
XSX is missing some effects.   ***OSB! (this was apparently not final code, for the XSX version when the texture shots were compaired, in videos below)

This just proves that what matters most is how much time & effort, developers put into optimisations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no2xCR0VWbQ&feature=emb_logo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1DTE-KHhQ4&feature=emb_logo

^ slightly better video (4k). (only shows the Xbox console's)

Minor differnces:

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 18 November 2020

Around the Network

Youtube comments:

"Mannn there's soo much Tearing on Xbox series X and PS5 is just butter SMOOTH but why????"

"is it a real comparison? It looks the same"

"In some cutscenes i can see screen tearing in xbox series x like at 7:40"

"Worst comparison in the history of YouTube"

"Jesus do you not know how to do side by side? Or even capture in 4K?"

"Just a color difference, I think..."

"6:56 Why there is no interaction between ship's bottom and water on Xbox?"

Load time compaired:

Xbox Series X: (18sec)
https://youtu.be/fBVBs81GDos?t=7645

Playstation 5: (7sec)
https://youtu.be/xmPiz1N9aa0?t=436

I'm expecting this is because of XSS... they created one version of the game that runs the same on XSS/XSX just at different resolutions/framerates. The effects they had to tone down for XSS and still toned down in the XSX version...Though I can't explain the worse FPS.First real load time comparison of a nextgen title clearly shows the PS5's ssd advantage. Will be interesting to see if the improvment is as dramatic in more titles.

I'm confused about the frame rate claim. I saw the video and I didn't notice a frame rate difference a d the frame rate counter was a locked 60 on the other video.I see the difference in textures though.

Around the Network

1080P and no side by side. Can't really judge anything from the awful Youtube compression. Best wait for high quality analysis from Digital Foundry for comparisons.

For the best Xbox experience (judging from the second video) its Series X > One X > Series S > One S

Can you update this thread with the digital foundary review once they have it?

Haven't had a chance to watch the videos but I already have one comment for Ubi, just because Series X supports VRR it doesn't mean even 1% of its launch auidence has TVs which do. Really screen tearing should be a huge no in 2020 on next gen platforms. Series X is clearly in need of a patch.

hinch said:

1080P and no side by side. Can't really judge anything from the awful Youtube compression. Best wait for high quality analysis from Digital Foundry for comparisons.

Yeah, after looking at the video I can't tell much tbh. Best to wait.

Otter said:

Can you update this thread with the digital foundary review once they have it?

Haven't had a chance to watch the videos but I already have one comment for Ubi, just because Series X supports VRR it doesn't mean even 1% of its launch auidence has TVs which do. Really screen tearing should be a huge no in 2020 on next gen platforms. Series X is clearly in need of a patch.

Yes.

Once DF has a video out, I'll update this thread with it.
Afterall this video didnt even do proper side by side, and they released this video in 1080p.

Im expecting this and a few other games will kill this obsession with native 4k. It will not be the standard this generation and 95% will barely be able to notice. For those that do, they'll appreciate the near 4k clarity.