By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Out of stock for the Xbox Series X in Europe.

Shinobi-san said:
Seems super over supplied in our region (South Africa) and we get stock from UK channels.

Nothing that couple weeks shouldn't be sold out probably.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Shinobi-san said:
Seems super over supplied in our region (South Africa) and we get stock from UK channels.

But what exactly would qualify as "super oversupplied" in that region? 100K, 200K?

src said:
OP lives in lala land. There's is 0 chance that XSX+S comes near 360.

it might fall off that damned cliff like the switch did huh?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

chakkra said:
Shinobi-san said:

But what exactly would qualify as "super oversupplied" in that region? 100K, 200K?

Not sure but all our retailers are advertising availability and are in stock (and i mean all - not only gaming centric retailers). Based on what I'm seeing I should be able to walk into a store throughout November and buy one at will.

No idea about numbers, in the global scheme of things obviously our country is insignificant but still a decent market for MS.

PS5 at this point its not even possible to pre-order, and hasnt been since the first few hours pre-orders were initially announced.

Its actually quite crazy given the huge price these consoles are going for in our country - close to $800.

In terms of where our market lies, I would say we are similar to that of Europe so there is a PS bias although X360 did quite well here.

I mentioned this in another thread, either Sony completely fucked up their supply or MS are going to be brutally outsold. I really feel this is a missed chance by MS, I would have bit the bullet already and bought the Sereis X along with a new TV if they had something like Hellblade 2 or Fable release with the console.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Shinobi-san said:
chakkra said:
Shinobi-san said:

Not sure but all our retailers are advertising availability and are in stock (and i mean all - not only gaming centric retailers). Based on what I'm seeing I should be able to walk into a store throughout November and buy one at will.

No idea about numbers, in the global scheme of things obviously our country is insignificant but still a decent market for MS.

PS5 at this point its not even possible to pre-order, and hasnt been since the first few hours pre-orders were initially announced.

Its actually quite crazy given the huge price these consoles are going for in our country - close to $800.

In terms of where our market lies, I would say we are similar to that of Europe so there is a PS bias although X360 did quite well here.

I mentioned this in another thread, either Sony completely fucked up their supply or MS are going to be brutally outsold. I really feel this is a missed chance by MS, I would have bit the bullet already and bought the Sereis X along with a new TV if they had something like Hellblade 2 or Fable release with the console.

Yeah, MS really should have focused all of their stock in their strongest markets. I don't know how many units were sent to South Africa but I'm sure those units wouldn't have been sitting on a shelf if they had been sent to US or UK.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
chakkra said:
DonFerrari said:
chakkra said:

If it was as easy as you put it, neither the XSS nor the PS5 would have stock issues at the moment since they both had 7 weeks to gauge the demand.

I said it was easy? And will ignore that platform holders love to say they are sold out on launch? As long as you are nearly meeting demand while keeping sold out you are at a very good PR position without leaving to much revenue not received.

I don't think either MS or Sony would be happy selling fewer units just so they could say that they were sold out. At the end of the day, "we sold 2m units at launch" sounds much better than "we were sold out," and it is much more profitable.

Guess you didn't got my point, it isn't substantially sold out. It is like instead of selling 2M and being sold out, selling 2.1M and not being sold out.

And my point was that 7 weeks was not enough time to substantially modify your production chain. Both MS and Sony are dependent on other companies for the different parts to manufacture these consoles. I truly doubt that they can just simply call whoever is doing their cooling system, for example, and say "hey, I know we ordered 1.5 million units for November 12th but we're going to need one more million now."

chakkra said:
DonFerrari said:
chakkra said:
DonFerrari said:
chakkra said:

If it was as easy as you put it, neither the XSS nor the PS5 would have stock issues at the moment since they both had 7 weeks to gauge the demand.

I said it was easy? And will ignore that platform holders love to say they are sold out on launch? As long as you are nearly meeting demand while keeping sold out you are at a very good PR position without leaving to much revenue not received.

I don't think either MS or Sony would be happy selling fewer units just so they could say that they were sold out. At the end of the day, "we sold 2m units at launch" sounds much better than "we were sold out," and it is much more profitable.

Guess you didn't got my point, it isn't substantially sold out. It is like instead of selling 2M and being sold out, selling 2.1M and not being sold out.

And my point was that 7 weeks was not enough time to substantially modify your production chain. Both MS and Sony are dependent on other companies for the different parts to manufacture these consoles. I truly doubt that they can just simply call whoever is doing their cooling system, for example, and say "hey, I know we ordered 1.5 million units for November 12th but we're going to need one more million now."

Sure thing, most needs to be done long before that by watching the reaction and engagement from reveal. And well if you project 1.5M and on the 7 weeks before the launch you discover you need another 1M or 66% more, then your projection was really poor or the confidence in the product wasn't that high.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
chakkra said:
DonFerrari said:
chakkra said:
DonFerrari said:
chakkra said:

Sure thing, most needs to be done long before that by watching the reaction and engagement from reveal. And well if you project 1.5M and on the 7 weeks before the launch you discover you need another 1M or 66% more, then your projection was really poor or the confidence in the product wasn't that high.

I guess neither MS nor Sony were confident in their products then.

chakkra said:
DonFerrari said:
chakkra said:
DonFerrari said:
chakkra said:
DonFerrari said:
chakkra said:

I guess neither MS nor Sony were confident in their products then.

That is because you ignored my point that having a little untapped demand for launch is how the company prefers, there is a big difference in supplying 5-10% less than demand versus 66%. So yes if either company produces so much less than demand they either had bad projections or lower confidence.

If MS believed they could sell 2.5M in launch (because they also said that on launch they would sell all they could produce) then they wouldn't produce 1.5M (yes all hypothetical). And since the APU supplier is the same and the console assembling supplier is the same, what excuse could be used if one console sell the double of the other on launch?