By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 11th Annual Greatest Games Event - The Discussion Thread

Kantor said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I'm already falling behind!

Clues for #50-47:

Double your pleasure, double your fun!!

Hats off to this globe-trotting platformer

Dante's first inferno?

Everyone is here...and then some

49: Super Mario World?

48: Devil May Cry?

UnderwaterFunktown said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Clues for #50-47:

Dante's first inferno?

49) A Hat in Time?

48) Devil May Cry 3?

47) SSBU? (feels too obvious... but maybe)

Partial credit!

#49 - Super Mario Odyssey
#48 - Devil May Cry
#47 - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Around the Network
UnderwaterFunktown said:
Kantor said:

Woo guessing game!

50: A familiar hero dreams of an unfamiliar land

49: A bunch of heroes run around the vicinity of a cantina fighting each other

48: A testament to the idea that a game doesn't really need a plot as long as it has good enough explosions

47: Ave Maria

46: A game where you roleplay as a clean-handed ghost

50) Link's Awakening?

Correct!

50) The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

I've always been a PlayStation/PC gamer so 49 of the games on this list will have been played on one of those consoles. This is the only surviving exception, from the Game Boy Color I owned as a kid. I don't think I ever even finished it, but I still remember the sense of wonder and adventure that it instilled in me.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Veknoid_Outcast said:

Clues for #50-47:

Dante's first inferno?

#50: Mario Kart :Double Dash?

Veknoid_Outcast said:

Clues for #50-47:

Dante's first inferno?

50. Luigi's Mansion 3?

I'll catch up, but spoiler tagged in case anyone else wants to guess.

Spoiler!

49) Star Wars: Battlefront II (2005)

I've never been a Star Wars superfan who obsessed over the expanded universe, but I did watch the movies a bunch of times and loved the setting. The campaign wasn't all that interesting, but I spent hours upon hours playing Galactic Conquest and destroying the rebel scum. I've also got very fond memories of the four-player local co-op (remember when that was a thing?), particularly the classic Mos Eisley Assault (from the hint) where each of you got to play as either a Jedi or Sith hero.

48) Just Cause 2

I honestly cannot remember at all what this game was supposed to be about. The vague plot about some kind of uprising against a dictator is completely overshadowed by the wild chaotic fun you can have zooming around with a grapple gun and blowing things up with an array of destructive weaponry. I'll admit, I actually installed a mod to increase the grapple gun distance limit by a factor of 10, which I like to think is how the game is meant to be played.

47) Hitman: Blood Money

Stealth is very hard to get right. The handful of stealth games on this list all take completely different approaches to it, and Hitman's is particularly intriguing, primarily focused around disguising yourself as an NPC who has the access to enter a given area. Pulling this off in a way that doesn't get repetitive and either mind-numbingly easy or unforgivingly difficult is a real achievement. I could never really get into the later games in this series because they swung that balance too far one way or another. I also really liked the checkpoint system in this game - letting you choose a limited number of points from which you might want to restart. This gives you the freedom to experiment whilst also putting you under some pressure to deal with problems and improvise.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

45. a. Some say the protagonist of this game is actually the villain, because he wants to destroy the fantasy world in order to go home.
b.  This sequel game allows your characters to be different races.  The first game did not include different races.

44. IGN had a controversy surrounding this game because of a plagaiarized review.

Supermario28 said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Clues for #50-47:

Dante's first inferno?

#50: Mario Kart :Double Dash?

That's right!

The_Liquid_Laser said:

45. a. Some say the protagonist of this game is actually the villain, because he wants to destroy the fantasy world in order to go home.
b.  This sequel game allows your characters to be different races.  The first game did not include different races.

44. IGN had a controversy surrounding this game because of a plagaiarized review.

I'm thinking #44 is Dead Cells?

Veknoid_Outcast said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I'm thinking #44 is Dead Cells?

Correct!

#48 Ring Fit Adventure
guessed by Supermario28
platform Switch
release year 2019
developer/publisher Nintendo
genre exercise/adventure
links Wikipedia, Moby games

Well, what is to say about this game, that you all don't already know. Ring Fit Adventure is a fitness game, which couples the exercise with a story and a world to navigate. Your exercises relate to actions in the game world and help you progress in the world and ultimately bring down the antagonist of the game, the bodybuilder dragon Drageaux. You have a ring as companion, which corresonds to the ring-con, the actual physical device you use to control the game and your exercise.

The game offers jogging sessions that are intersected by small little things you do differently and by fights, which consist of attacks you do by doing certain exercises. The difficulty settings lead to a different number of repetitions of the exercises before you beat the enemies.

There are a lot of elements to help make the game more varied. So you often can take different paths on each level, can explore side levels besides the main path or find mini-games to play. You can make exercises without playing the story. And a patch brought a rhythm game. You find NPCs throughout the game and also exquipment and consumable items like smoothies (that can refresh your health in the game).

The game world is presented in simple, but nice and colorful graphics. The music is quite good.

That game works quite well, both as an exercise (especially in these times) and a game. Nintendo proofed again, that they can combine unique ideas into an enjoyable experience. And as sales show, many people do actually enjoy it and keep themself more healthy in the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD6Ua4NfPZ4

Last edited by Mnementh - on 15 November 2020

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]