By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sakuna of Rice and Ruin wasn't originally planned for Switch, now Switch version doubling PS4 version preorders

curl-6 said:
KrspaceT said:
curl-6 said:
Mar1217 said:
I guess this would definitely shut their earlier reconsideration. It also helps that the game received probably more ad material and showcases than the Sony ever would have for an indie game. I mean it ain't for nothing when were talking about a platform which likes to put indies at the forefront.

Plus it's become relatively common for indie games to announce they sold best or extremely well on Switch.

Like other similar stories (Crash Bandicoot anyone?) the moral of the story seems to be that disregarding bringing your game to Switch out of hand is a big mistake.

Did the Crash 4 game really do that badly? Or is it just 'hey remember that platform you sold million+ on.....'

I mean how the N.Sane Trilogy wasn't planned for Switch, until one of the devs decided to mess around with it on a Switch devkit over the weekend, managed to get the first level running, and showed the higher ups, and it went on to sell over a million on Switch.

A platform game, an arcade game, an indie game: all the options must have the switch for the first choice. But that anti-Nintendo, besides 68 million consoles sales and dozen of success on the platform, worked well. The bias is not rational and logical, but it's a pathological and ideological problem. 

Around the Network

I'm still trying to find a physical version at my local Bestbuy. Bestbuy sucks when it comes to getting weeb games in stock. -_-

That's seriously a lot of dumb stuff that has been said there. I swear that reading such declarations makes me think twice About how sane developpers and publishers can be.Had it come from Warner brothers which is a western studio on an M rated game was finely jutifiable. But from a japanese indie developer that's totally out of any logic.Sakuna had literally no excuses for not being thought and build for the Switch from scratch. How Can you even prioritize a dying system over an extremely healthy one with mostly being THE number one system in your country? Are you even aware about your local market?That shows once again that bias and stereotypes are still remainging against Nintendo. And i really appreciate that a Big company bothered insisting on an indie developer to reconsider their choices, despite having no need for their game on switch, but this goes certainly with all the efforts that Nintendo are making to bring third parties to their side.

It's not like the Switch is hugely popular in Japan and a fantastic platform for indie games.Or wait, it is.

Incidentally, I'm definitely enjoying the unorthodox combination of game play styles at work here! Sakuna's a fun game.

Around the Network
heavenmercenary01 said:
That's seriously a lot of dumb stuff that has been said there. I swear that reading such declarations makes me think twice About how sane developpers and publishers can be.Had it come from Warner brothers which is a western studio on an M rated game was finely jutifiable. But from a japanese indie developer that's totally out of any logic.Sakuna had literally no excuses for not being thought and build for the Switch from scratch. How Can you even prioritize a dying system over an extremely healthy one with mostly being THE number one system in your country? Are you even aware about your local market?That shows once again that bias and stereotypes are still remainging against Nintendo. And i really appreciate that a Big company bothered insisting on an indie developer to reconsider their choices, despite having no need for their game on switch, but this goes certainly with all the efforts that Nintendo are making to bring third parties to their side.

I'm reminded of the talk that came after Diablo Immortal was announced. The old Diablo 2 guy going 'you missed how that was going to be seen by the fans? Have you been keeping pace with what gamers are like'. 

...Though it is odd to think that would be a problem for a smaller company than something as big as Acti-Bliz.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

It is stupid that they didn't want to do it originally I guess, but I'm glad it came either way, and I'm wondering if it had more to do with budget originally, until Nintendo convince them it was worth spending some time on a port. It's also kind of funny that in this point in the Switch's life we're seeing a lot of near-"equivalencies" in terms of support come out when compared to older systems. We have Monster Hunter Rise and Stories 2 compared to the 3DS MH games, and now we have what is kind of a spiritual successor to Vanillaware's Wii support (since this kind of looks like a Vanillaware-esque game).

Agente42 said:
curl-6 said:

I mean how the N.Sane Trilogy wasn't planned for Switch, until one of the devs decided to mess around with it on a Switch devkit over the weekend, managed to get the first level running, and showed the higher ups, and it went on to sell over a million on Switch.

A platform game, an arcade game, an indie game: all the options must have the switch for the first choice. But that anti-Nintendo, besides 68 million consoles sales and dozen of success on the platform, worked well. The bias is not rational and logical, but it's a pathological and ideological problem. 

Pretty much yeah, the only explanation at this point seems to be ingrained bias based on the past, because otherwise there's just no rational basis for a game like Sakuna not being planned for Switch from the start.