By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sakuna of Rice and Ruin wasn't originally planned for Switch, now Switch version doubling PS4 version preorders

https://gonintendo.com/stories/372318-sakuna-of-rice-and-ruin-wasn-t-originally-planned-for-switch-no

"Initially our plan was to release on PC and PS4 only, but after Sakuna was announced as being in the works, our Nintendo contact at the time reached out to us on more than one occasion to consider releasing the game on the Nintendo Switch as well.

We were initially hesitant on the first few reach-outs, as it just was not part of the original plan and we would have had to reschedule everything, but after multiple talks with Nintendo and hearing how passionate they were about the game, we ultimately decided to release the game on the Switch as well.

That wasn’t an easy ask for Edelweiss, but we all agreed that Switch would be a great platform for the game. In hindsight, we’re glad we took their request seriously as we have nothing but appreciation towards Nintendo for actively showcasing the game, and in terms of sales impact, we’re seeing great launch orders on the Switch—about a 2-to-1 over PS4."

Around the Network

They don't even have the excuse of being concerned about it being a "mature", M-rated title.

Seriously, assholes? We are three and a half years in. We are constantly hearing about success stories on the Switch left and right. Much bigger publishers with much bigger money on the line are willing to put their titles on the Switch, with games that typically languished on previous Nintendo consoles.

What does it take to please you dummies?

EDIT: And this is funny coming from XSEED, the company that used to be willing to port the most unheard of and niche titles in existence to anything. XSEED was one of my favorite publishers for that reason. Not that I've had a fallout for any reason or anything, but I just haven't bought/played an XSEED game in a long time.

Last edited by burninmylight - on 09 November 2020

hack and slash? this looks right up my alley

KLAMarine said:
hack and slash? this looks right up my alley

Muramasa meets Harvest Moon

It’s 2020. And publishers still need “convincing” to release games on switch.

Around the Network

....This was funny and awesome at one point. The fact this sort of thing keeps happening has turned actually obnoxious. At this point publishers....do you know how to do your jobs? Do you listen to other people? Do you know your market? 

This sort of thing really makes you wonder the full scope of 'Anti-Nintendo bias'

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Mar1217 said:
I guess this would definitely shut their earlier reconsideration. It also helps that the game received probably more ad material and showcases than the Sony ever would have for an indie game. I mean it ain't for nothing when were talking about a platform which likes to put indies at the forefront.

Plus it's become relatively common for indie games to announce they sold best or extremely well on Switch.

Like other similar stories (Crash Bandicoot anyone?) the moral of the story seems to be that disregarding bringing your game to Switch out of hand is a big mistake.

curl-6 said:
Mar1217 said:
I guess this would definitely shut their earlier reconsideration. It also helps that the game received probably more ad material and showcases than the Sony ever would have for an indie game. I mean it ain't for nothing when were talking about a platform which likes to put indies at the forefront.

Plus it's become relatively common for indie games to announce they sold best or extremely well on Switch.

Like other similar stories (Crash Bandicoot anyone?) the moral of the story seems to be that disregarding bringing your game to Switch out of hand is a big mistake.

Did the Crash 4 game really do that badly? Or is it just 'hey remember that platform you sold million+ on.....'

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

WELL FMD AND CALL ME DUSTYTHERE IS A PHYSICAL VERSION SO WILL PURCHASE IT.

KrspaceT said:
curl-6 said:
Mar1217 said:

Did the Crash 4 game really do that badly? Or is it just 'hey remember that platform you sold million+ on.....'

I mean how the N.Sane Trilogy wasn't planned for Switch, until one of the devs decided to mess around with it on a Switch devkit over the weekend, managed to get the first level running, and showed the higher ups, and it went on to sell over a million on Switch.