By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Hey Xbox peeps! A (temp) defector arrives.

shikamaru317 said:

Since you are into indies, I'm surprised that 12 Minutes isn't on your Xbox list yet.

I forgot about that game! Also I thought it was only for PS5 at that. But yeah, Annapurna is among my favorite game publishers actually. That's a trusted name in my book. I may just have to give 12 Minutes a try!

Around the Network

State of Decay 2 is more of a simulation/survival game. Story isn't really the focus. You make a base, gather survivors, resources, etc. You can play as different survivors, and if you're character dies, they don't come back. It has 2 player co-op, but it's not a big focus. I do hope the 3rd game is more focused on a story mode. It's worth checking out.

kirby007 said:
Tip: if you are curious about State of decay, use the gamepass trial offer and download SoD2 I personally hope thats the closest SoD3 will be, just bit more flashier.

Barozi said:
Honestly I'm not sure if you'd like State of Decay 2.It's not really comparable to Last of Us as it's not a linear game and therefore isn't as closely tied to a story line.While you can certainly have fun in single player, it's more of a co-op game.I would describe it as a The Walking Dead experience, where you have to keep control of a bunch of survivors, find new ones and build your base while running through zombie infested streets and fields in search of ressources.Since we have no info on SoD3, I can't tell what they will add/change. The trailer did look very cinematic, but I doubt we will see any of those in game to convey a story.Definitely try SoD2 on Game Pass first.

smroadkill15 said:
State of Decay 2 is more of a simulation/survival game. Story isn't really the focus. You make a base, gather survivors, resources, etc. You can play as different survivors, and if you're character dies, they don't come back. It has 2 player co-op, but it's not a big focus. I do hope the 3rd game is more focused on a story mode. It's worth checking out.

On everyone's advice, I did try out State of Decay 2 on Game Pass and yeah...I see what you guys are saying about it being a more straightforward survival "simulation" type of experience than what I was really hoping for. It's kind of an interesting concept, but it can't honestly be said that I'm greatly enjoying my time with State of Decay 2 so far. I like the soundtrack, but all in all to me the game just feels kind of half-assed. Somehow I still can't get that cinematic trailer for State of Decay 3 out of my head though! I'm hoping it's an indication that the third installment will indeed feature a proper and dedicated story mode 'cause absent one...yeah I dunno, maybe I actually will pass on it after all.

Just stopping by to add Perfect Dark, Open Roads, and 12 Minutes to my anticipated Series X games list and to cross off Call of the Sea because I've now acquired it.

Jaicee said:

Just stopping by to add Perfect Dark, Open Roads, and 12 Minutes to my anticipated Series X games list and to cross off Call of the Sea because I've now acquired it.

How is it?

Around the Network
Angelus said:
Jaicee said:

How is it?

It's good! There's a lot of darkness underneath the game's bright scenery, but at its heart Call of the Sea is a genuinely moving love story well-told. Puzzles form the real challenge of the game and their general complexity and difficulty progresses in a very natural way that's satisfying without interrupting the flow of the narrative (which is important because the narrative is the real reason to play). It's also absolutely beautiful, seriously, and not just because it's highly detailed, but because the visual style evokes the striking colors of 1930s-era post cards. My main criticism is that there are parts of the game where the exposition feels excessive in a way that seems unnatural and takes the player for an idiot, but fortunately it's not a pervasive problem. It's not like my favorite game of the year or anything, but worth playing!

EDIT: I will add that, unlike most games that give you a final choice to make at the end that determines the game's conclusion, this game's final choice actually made me think a little.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 12 December 2020

Jaicee said:
Angelus said:

How is it?

It's good! There's a lot of darkness underneath the game's bright scenery, but at its heart Call of the Sea is a genuinely moving love story well-told. Puzzles form the real challenge of the game and their general complexity and difficulty progresses in a very natural way that's satisfying without interrupting the flow of the narrative (which is important because the narrative is the real reason to play). It's also absolutely beautiful, seriously, and not just because it's highly detailed, but because the visual style evokes the striking colors of 1930s-era post cards. My main criticism is that there are parts of the game where the exposition feels excessive in a way that seems unnatural and takes the player for an idiot, but fortunately it's not a pervasive problem. It's not like my favorite game of the year or anything, but worth playing!

EDIT: I will add that, unlike most games that give you a final choice to make at the end that determines the game's conclusion, this game's final choice actually made me think a little.

Sounds interesting. Will have to give it a go at some point. I do believe it's on GamePass anyway. 

Angelus said:

Sounds interesting. Will have to give it a go at some point. I do believe it's on GamePass anyway. 

Yep, you can Game Pass it!

Have you played the Ori series?

*Crickets*

Last edited by Azzanation - on 12 December 2020

Jaicee said:

It's about the State of Decay franchise. I haven't played either of the first two entries before. The trailer for State of Decay 3 though caught me in just the right mood when it came out 'cause I really liked The Last of Us Part II and had just played through it at the time and something about the State of Decay 3 trailer just seemed to have a similar ambience that drew me in instantly! I know I'm definitely interested in at least trying out this third installment of the franchise, but I would like some realistic expectations about it, so if you've played the first two State of Decay games before...is this like a proper action-horror franchise with well-developed storylines and characters like The Last of Us titles...or more of a conventional open world type franchise that revolves mainly around completing checklists of mini-quests? How closely would you compare the State of Decay games to The Last of Us as a franchise? I ask because I am distinctly more interested in a Last of Us type of experience and want realistic expectations going in.

State of Decay is completely different to TLOU. But it's also not a conventional open world game. It's got a lot of character, a lot of investment in characters even though it's not a traditional storyline, because of your own story and the RPG mechanics. If you liked the early seasons of the Walking Dead you'll get the idea. 

Feel free to start with State of Decay 2, because the story is very intuitive, and it's about the characters you make more than the circumstances. 

EDIT: missed the post where you already played it. yeah survival sandbox is the best way to describe it. Try nightmare mode lol.