By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Review Thread

DonFerrari said:
Leynos said:

What little I recall it was Zombi U. Ninja Gaiden 3,Mass Effect 3, Batman Arkum City, Nintendo Land,Tank Tank Tank, Funky Barn and maybe some more. Not exactly a good lineup.

I won't lie I actually loved NG3 RE but still moslty 360 ports and some shovelware. It's pretty pathetic.

Nothing has ever matched let alone topped the Dreamcast launch.

Which Dreamcast launch game ended over 90+ metacritic and 5M seller?

SvennoJ said:
Looks nice, I wonder when it will be available in store (not just theoretically)

Did any reviews show/test what it looks like if you just lay it on its side, no stand?

Well the teardown from sony engineer showed the system on its side didn't it? I think IGN review had it sideways inside a cabinet.

I don't base opinions are arbitrary numbers on a crappy website or sales. Neither actually determines the quality of a game. Hell sometimes mediocre games win GOTY due to politics like Dragon Age in 2014 when Bayo2 is the best game that year. Can make an argument for DSII. Besides DC lineup is often talked about as one of the best anyway.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:
Vodacixi said:

Oh,  the Switch was abysmal in terms of quantity when it launched. Even I can't deny that with a straight face xD

Nah, I said it because I do remember the Wii U launch lineup... And it looks incredibly similar to what we are getting here with PS5. But people in 2012 were really disappointed with the Wii U launch games... But here we see an overwhelming positive reaction to PS5's launch games. It's... curious, to say the least... 

What little I recall it was Zombi U. Ninja Gaiden 3,Mass Effect 3, Batman Arkum City, Nintendo Land,Tank Tank Tank, Funky Barn and maybe some more. Not exactly a good lineup.

I won't lie I actually loved NG3 RE but still moslty 360 ports and some shovelware. It's pretty pathetic.

Nothing has ever matched let alone topped the Dreamcast launch.

I mean... I would like to remember New Super Mario Bros. U, Darksiders II or Tekken Tag Tournament 2 rather than Tank, Tank, Tank and Funky Barn xDDDD

I don't know, the three Wii U exclusives strike me as very similar in nature to three out of the four PS5 exclusives. And besides that, PS5 only has cross-gen games and some PS4/One games, some of them just as old news as the ones Wii U recieved (Devil May Cry 5, Borderlands 3...).

And yeah, Dreamcast had a dope launch lineup ^^

Leynos said:
DonFerrari said:

Which Dreamcast launch game ended over 90+ metacritic and 5M seller?

Well the teardown from sony engineer showed the system on its side didn't it? I think IGN review had it sideways inside a cabinet.

I don't base opinions are arbitrary numbers on a crappy website or sales. Neither actually determines the quality of a game. Hell sometimes mediocre games win GOTY due to politics like Dragon Age in 2014 when Bayo2 is the best game that year. Can make an argument for DSII. Besides DC lineup is often talked about as one of the best anyway.

So when you say it had a the greatest lineup ever you mean for your taste not something that could really be verified by most people?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

SvennoJ said:
Looks nice, I wonder when it will be available in store (not just theoretically)

Did any reviews show/test what it looks like if you just lay it on its side, no stand?

a few of the unboxing videos from last week showed that - as far as I remember NXGamer's video did

@topic)

I've already decided to buy the PS5 (and I generally only buy 1 console per gen), but I have quite a few grievances, most of which hopefully will be addressed with future firmware updates:

- no quick resume is a bit of a downer, especially because PS4 game load times still seem on the longer side and those probably won't get the "activity card" support to launch directly into the latest savegame from the consoles main menu (youtuber Mystic said he heard quick resume will come, but no idea about that)

- no 1440p output is problematic as only very few TVs support 4K 120, with 1440p120 a lot more models could display 120Hz in higher than 1080p and ofc 1440p monitors are much more affordable (as this already was missing from PS4pro, I don't expect them to add it)

- that PS5 games can't be put into cold storage on USB drives is disappointing, personally I planed to use a "slow" NVMe M.2 drive internally for PS5 cold storage and some PS4 games etc and I got the impression that's also not possible right now

- VRR support seems to be missing (per DF/eurogamer written review) and should definitely be enabled

anyway, I'm stoked to play MH World again and start DS3/Sekiro now that all run in stable 60fps

Last edited by Lafiel - on 06 November 2020

DonFerrari said:
Leynos said:

So when you say it had a the greatest lineup ever you mean for your taste not something that could really be verified by most people?

No. It's just in general considered one of the best launch lineups as a general rule.

Around the Network
Leynos said:
DonFerrari said:

No. It's just in general considered one of the best launch lineups as a general rule.

So let me get this straight. The lineup didn't got great reviews, didn't sell good and didn't push the sales of the console but it is one of the best ever? Based on what metrics for you to say it is a general consensus?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Leynos said:

So let me get this straight. The lineup didn't got great reviews, didn't sell good and didn't push the sales of the console but it is one of the best ever? Based on what metrics for you to say it is a general consensus?

I never said the games didn't get good reviews. You bet your ass Power Stone, Soul Calibur,Sonic Adventure,Ready 2 Rumbe,Hydro Thunder,House of the Dead 2,SEGA Rally 2 got favorable reviews. Dynamite Cop was a super fun arcade beat em up. I play it at least a couple times a year. What game isn't awesome using loss of clothes as a health bar and the option to beat up enemies with bread or meat then fight a giant octopus?  Still an entire cult around Power Stone still claiming it's better than Smash. I like PS a lot but I won't claim that. Personally I also found Expendable a fun top down shooter. Soul Calibur looked miles better than the Arcade version and it's the game that got the series as popular as it is. Still a great game. Sonic Advenure upon release reviewed well. Just in the years since has it's flaws been more apparent.

Console failed due to SEGA being bankrupt from Saturn. DC also could not play DVDs and that was a huge factor in PS2 early success.

DC actually broke some launch day records for the time and did well it's first few months in the US but SEGA's money problems combined with they messed up the launch in Japan and Sony hyping PS2. DC could not play DVDs and no EA support (for using PowerVR2 instead of Voodoo2 which had a faster fillrate and the Glide API was popular at the time) They did not go with Voodoo2 due to 3DFX breaching contract.Great console but circumstances did it in. Not it's library as the system had a great library and still getting games. I plan to get Xenocider soon. Maybe even Joshprod racing. Circumstances killed the system. Not it's library.

I been using forums (most non SEGA but retro forums) for 25 years many forums (their main site with articles) and a lot of times DC comes up as one of the better console launch line ups. This is only a sample but it often pops up in websites when they rank top console launches. This is not cherry-picked, This is just from google when searching for the best console launch lineups first page. This is only example list not an end all list.

https://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/10/30/which-game-console-had-the-best-launch-lineup.aspx

https://twinfinite.net/2020/04/best-console-launch-day-game-lineups/10/

https://gamerant.com/best-video-game-console-launch-titles/

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-best-console-launch-games-ranked

https://www.digitalspy.com/videogames/a366220/the-best-and-worst-console-launches-feature/

This is just a general search and the results on the first page. I have seen it pop up in more lists over the years. Some sites no longer with us and others just in general. Launch lineups never really determine a consoles success. Saturn had a good one but bad architecture and marketing did it in. Sony systems generally don't have great launch lineups but they sell well as over time they get most the best stuff. Gamecube and Xbox have better launch games than PS2 but PS2 was the better system in the long run. Xbox One probably had a beter one than PS4. At least for the year it released. I personally consider DC the best but one can always argue SNES for EXAMPLE since it gave people Super Mario World,Pilot Wings and F-Zero. Nintendo is hit and miss. Sony usually misses. Xbox again hit and miss.

Just because I see the next gen as not having exciting launch lineups does not mean I'm apathetic to them period. I like to wait a year or two as that's when the teu lineup starts to roll in. Tho a game like Astro I can't count. It's a built in tech demo game. Face Raider on 3DS or Snail Maze on Master System. People play it on launch and will hardly ever touch it again.

With that, I am done talking about this.

Lafiel said:
SvennoJ said:

a few of the unboxing videos from last week showed that - as far as I remember NXGamer's video did

@topic)

I've already decided to buy the PS5 (and I generally only buy 1 console per gen), but I have quite a few grievances, most of which hopefully will be addressed with future firmware updates:

- no quick resume is a bit of a downer, especially because PS4 game load times still seem on the longer side and those probably won't get the "activity card" support to launch directly into the latest savegame from the consoles main menu (youtuber Mystic said he heard quick resume will come, but no idea about that)

- no 1440p output is problematic as only very few TVs support 4K 120, with 1440p120 a lot more models could display 120Hz in higher than 1080p and ofc 1440p monitors are much more affordable (as this already was missing from PS4pro, I don't expect them to add it)

- that PS5 games can't be put into cold storage on USB drives is disappointing, personally I planed to use a "slow" NVMe M.2 drive internally for PS5 cold storage and some PS4 games etc and I got the impression that's also not possible right now

- VRR support seems to be missing (per DF/eurogamer written review) and should definitely be enabled

anyway, I'm stoked to play MH World again and start DS3/Sekiro now that all run in stable 60fps

Didn't PS4 have quick resume? Or is that suspend? I never used it anyway. Load times should be faster at least and it might come later. I wonder how much disk space it will use, I guess it needs to dump the active memory to disk for quick resume.

I'm not aware of any tvs that support 1440p? Never seen one. Sony makes consoles for tvs, not monitors, they never have. But I guess it can be patched in later, though probably not.

Indeed very odd ps5 games can't be copied. Perhaps that's also not ready yet, just like you can't connect any internal SSD drive yet. VRR will come as well.

The launch for both seems too early, no new games on one side, features not ready on the other. Hopefully all that there is works well unlike FS2020 which is still in beta lol. (Playing right now, so many streaming issues lately)

the-pi-guy said:
SvennoJ said:

Didn't PS4 have quick resume? Or is that suspend? I never used it anyway. Load times should be faster at least and it might come later. I wonder how much disk space it will use, I guess it needs to dump the active memory to disk for quick resume.

I'm not aware of any tvs that support 1440p? Never seen one. Sony makes consoles for tvs, not monitors, they never have. But I guess it can be patched in later, though probably not.

Indeed very odd ps5 games can't be copied. Perhaps that's also not ready yet, just like you can't connect any internal SSD drive yet. VRR will come as well.

The launch for both seems too early, no new games on one side, features not ready on the other. Hopefully all that there is works well unlike FS2020 which is still in beta lol. (Playing right now, so many streaming issues lately)

PS4 had a suspend feature.  The last game you were playing would be playable from the exact last moment you are playing.  XSX does this for multiple games and you can even power down and resume (since the state is dumped into non-volatile memory). It likely takes 40 GB of SSD storage. 

Suspend was also not in PS4 day one.  

I didn't have PS4 day one, but the suspend feature was announced on the console reveal, but we didn't got a quick resume announced for PS5 right?

The suspend feature kinda been around since 2004. DS and PSP. You could put both to sleep, wake them up, and be back in the game where you left off. I have the PS4 reveal on HDD and Cerny did indeed announce it before they showed the system. Now even Switch uses it. So a pretty standard feature now that we got 16 years ago.

Last edited by Leynos - on 07 November 2020