By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Oct 25 to 31 - Sales Increase for All Consoles

Will you track the Series X starting 11/10 ?

Around the Network

Allow me to ask something please.
Didn't Nintendo release their sales figure for the quarter stopping at September with 68.3Million switch sold.
Why do VGC numbers seem to be below that one month and a week after? Even after Nintendo's today update.

Unless there is some mis-alignment with weeks/months on older years, here is where we stand through 44 weeks.

If we start getting some hefty numbers in November, we can lock in 30M and the record.  If not, probably an undecided photo-finish until Nintendo gives their next batch of numbers in Feb. 

For shipments in holiday quarter (not the same but obviously very highly correlated), I'm expecting between 13-14M.

450!

heavenmercenary01 said:
Allow me to ask something please.
Didn't Nintendo release their sales figure for the quarter stopping at September with 68.3Million switch sold.
Why do VGC numbers seem to be below that one month and a week after? Even after Nintendo's today update.

Nintendo's reported numbers are for how much hardware/software they have shipped/sold to retailers.

VGChartz's numbers are estimates on how many of those units have been sold on to consumers. 

The difference is the number that are on shelves or in transit.

That said, the gap should be small at the moment given the Switch is selling out all over the world.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Nintendo's reported numbers are for how much hardware/software they have shipped/sold to retailers.

VGChartz's numbers are estimates on how many of those units have been sold on to consumers. 

The difference is the number that are on shelves or in transit.

That said, the gap should be small at the moment given the Switch is selling out all over the world.

The gap between shipped and sold to consumers is also usually the biggest right before the holiday season.

Ah, I did not know that, thanks. 

So out of curiosity what is the gap as of the latest shipped numbers we have, so 30th September?

Chris on Era suggested the gap between shipped/sold in Japan on 9/30/2020 (after accounting for MyNintendo store sales) is around 150K units. He remarked that this was very tight, but still much improved over the gap on 6/30/2020, which was close to zero (see weekly JP sales in late June). If there is a large gap WW at the end of Sep, its not coming from Japan.

Nintendo be like: feeling cute, might sell 0.5 mil Switches later

Being up over 76% year-on-year is just colossal, especially when Switch already had a pretty good 2019.

Hell, Switch is on the verge of overtaking its total 2019 sales as of the end of October, and they typically make the lion's share of their sales over the holiday quarter.

Has any other system been over 19 million YTD as of October 31st before?

100k sales increase for Switch

The new covid outbreak is already increasing Switch numbers again ;)