By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 44, 2020 (Oct 26 - Nov 01)

Tagged games:

I wonder if at some point during the failure that is the wii u, nintendo internally thought about releasing games on pc to allow the games to reach a larger audience.

Last edited by Dyotropic - on 06 November 2020

Around the Network
Dyotropic said:
I wonder if at some point during the failure the is the wii u, nintendo internally thought about releasing games on pc to allow the games to reach a larger audience.

This implies that they would have taken the 3rd party route, which is false since they released a new console. 

I think Nintendo going third party has never been an option internally, and that would need failure consoles through three generations or more to become a path discussion for them.

WiiU had great games, but the console in its self wasn't appealing and wasn't practical at all while playing, giving a lot of gimmically annoying experience.

Pikmin didn't get the chance to have mainline releases on successful consoles thus making it hard to judge its impact and its popularity. That's why 1.5 million sales (average) for each entry should have been considered as a success by Nintendo. But that wasn't the case.

Pikmin3D might be judged as a new mainline entry since (almost) no one bought the WiiU, making the game accessible for bigger audience that recently discovered the game in particular and the franchise in general. (the demo was a really good marketing move).

Dyotropic said:
I wonder if at some point during the failure the is the wii u, nintendo internally thought about releasing games on pc to allow the games to reach a larger audience.

I doubt it.

Nintendo has fended off countless investors with similar ideas, both for PC and mobile. Their investors like the idea, but Nintendo is vehemently against it.

Dyotropic said:

Nintendo with loads of cash, 3ds go back to trails, why she does that?

The portable market is always the strong side of Nintendo. And the people always forget about the portable market(3ds in the end, make money, besides the initial disaster).

Nintendo receives loads of profit from the handheld. 

Famitsu Switch Top 10 2020:

1. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo) - 5.909.746
  2. Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) - 1.250.713
  3. Pokemon Sword / Shield (Pokemon Co)- 795.436
  4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) - 579.508
  5. Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics (Nintendo) - 416.155
  6. Smash Ultimate (Nintendo) - 412.816
  7. Minecraft (Microsoft) - 397.812
  8. Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Nintendo) - 364.635
  9. Splatoon 2 (Nintendo) - 339.343
  10. Super Mario Party (Nintendo) - 321.912

TOTAL: 10.788.076

TOP 10 Switch Famitsu 2020 Q4:

1. Pikmin 3 Deluxe - 171.349 (NEW)
  2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 155.664
  3. Ring Fit Adventure - 144.167
  4. Super Mario 3D All-Stars - 90.696
  5. Mario Kart Live -  85.192 (NEW)
  6. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 54.292
  7. Shin Megami Tensei III - 52.481 (NEW)
  8. Pokemon Sword / Shield - 37.790
  9. Minecraft - 31.484
  10. Smash Ultimate - 29.000

TOTAL: 852.115

Around the Network

That 8.1 heh

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

heavenmercenary01 said:
Dyotropic said:

Pikmin didn't get the chance to have mainline releases on successful consoles thus making it hard to judge its impact and its popularity. That's why 1.5 million sales (average) for each entry should have been considered as a success by Nintendo. But that wasn't the case.

Pikmin would sale way better on PC. The biggest RTS game audience is on PC. RTS games are mostly made for PC and rarely on consoles. 

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Dyotropic said:

I doubt it.

Nintendo has fended off countless investors with similar ideas, both for PC and mobile. Their investors like the idea, but Nintendo is vehemently against it.

I think that mobile games are seen as "cheap" by Nintendo and they don't want to lower their Nintendo Seal of Quality standard. Investors, of course, only care about increasing profits. I like the idea of nintendo adopting a subscription service for retro games though. They definitely have the library for it. 

heavenmercenary01 said:

Pikmin didn't get the chance to have mainline releases on successful consoles thus making it hard to judge its impact and its popularity.

Pikmin 1 and 2 were released on the Wii, a successful console.

Famitsu Switch 3rd Parties Top 15 2020:

1. Minecraft (Microsoft) - 397.812
  2. eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020 (Konami) - 237.550
  3. Fishing Spirits (Bandai Namco) - 163.501
  4. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games: Tokyo 2020 (Sega) -138.550
  5. One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4 (Bandai Namco) - 117.954
  6. Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! (Bandai Namco) -101.707
  7. Trials of Mana (Square Enix) - 100.451
  8. Dragon Quest XI S (Square Enix) 82.137 
  9. Hatsune Miku: Project Diva MegaMix (Sega) -78.558
  10. Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers (Atlus) -65.653
  11. Fitness Boxing (Imagineer) 62.949
  12. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (Square Enix) - 56.187
  13. Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster (Atlus) - 52.481
  14. Human: Fall Flat (Teyon Japan) - 43.943
  15. Minecraft Dungeons: Hero Edition (Microsoft) - 38.961

TOTAL: 1.738.394

1. Microsoft - 436.773
  2. Bandai Namco - 383.162
  3. Square Enix - 238.775
  4. Konami - 237.550
  5. Sega - 138.550

Remaining Games for 2020:

- Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin(Marvelous) - multiplat
- Age of Calamity(Koei) - exclusive
Momotaro(Konami) - exclusive
Fitness Boxing 2(Imagineer) - exclusive
Atelier 2(Koei) - multiplat
Derby Stallion(Game Addict) - exclusive
Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory(Square) - multiplat
Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythmic Adventure Pack(Bandai) - exclusive
Puyo Puyo 2(Sega) - multiplat
Immortals Fenyx Rising(Ubisoft) - multiplat

• Koei, Microsoft and Konami will be the Top 3 3rd Party publishers on the Switch this year.
  • Overall a decent number of 3rd Party will be launched in the next two months. 
  • The biggest third party games will be Minecraft, Momotaro, Age of Calamity, eBaseball 
  • Bandai should finish the year decently due to strong performance of evergreen titles and the launch of Rhythmic Adventure Pack
  • The surprise hit will be Derby Stallion, already trending pretty decently on Amazon
  • Imagineer will also have a great result thanks to Fitness Boxing franchise 

Please let me know if I missed anything :)