By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Spiderman Miles M. ps5 video showing the game loading time or lack of one is kinda crazy

Hynad said:
Leynos said:

So we have gone back to the era of cartridge games load times. aka none at all. I think that is why I am not jumping up and down over this. I see this daily playing retro games that I am used to it lol. Yes itt is impressive tech but at the same time it took us 30 years to advance to the point where we were 30 years ago lol

Where we were 30 years ago had cartridges with less than 1MB of storage...

This about load times. SNES/Genesis/TG16 and whatever else didn't have load times. CD add ons to consoles introduced in 1990 with PCE/Turbo CD. Load times. Since then disc-based games been chasing reducing load times. One of the few brags N64 owners could and would gloat over PS1/Saturn owners. No-load times.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Angelus said:
That's awesome. They didn't even waste any time there with the usual business of intro logos. Or is that just quick resume, from the game already running in the background? In any case, the less loading times to sit through next gen, the better.

That was actually a question I had when we first learned about this.
Would they skip all the logo screens that usually pop up when you boot up a game? If not, then that could get in the way of loading up the games fast.
And if they do, where do all those logos go instead?

Hard to tell here if this was some sort of resume feature, but it does appear to go to the title screen, and then to the Load file menu.

Recently I've been thinking about how much time we spend looking at load screens.
Downloading and installing games is a bit different, because I can do other tasks while that occurs. But for load screens, they're usually not long enough for me to do something else in the meantime.

If we add them up over all these years, I don't even want to think about how much time I've wasted staring at loading screens. Or riding a long elevator ride, or passing through a long corridor because the game is hiding a loading screen.

I just pull out my phone and browse reddit 

Leynos said:
Hynad said:

Where we were 30 years ago had cartridges with less than 1MB of storage...

This about load times. SNES/Genesis/TG16 and whatever else didn't have load times. CD add ons to consoles introduced in 1990 with PCE/Turbo CD. Load times. Since then disc-based games been chasing reducing load times. One of the few brags N64 owners could and would gloat over PS1/Saturn owners. No-load times.

The point went over you head.

Hiku said:
Mummelmann said:
It appears to be in Norwegian, I wonder who this person could be. Looks like a standard, messy boy's room at any house.

How do they spell Games in Norwegian? Spill? Hard to make out.

Spill is correct. Danish is similar, but with only one "l", Swedish is Spel.

Hiku said:
Mummelmann said:

Spill is correct. Danish is similar, but with only one "l", Swedish is Spel.

Can confirm, as I am Swedish. =p

Haha, damn I forgot! :P

I'm a fake Swede, I speak Swedish and write like a native, but I'm actually from the land of oil and fish oil sligtly to the West.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
Leynos said:

Capacity is irrelevant.

Leynos said:
Hynad said:

Capacity is irrelevant.

Size of data is relevant to transfert speed.

Games gained in complexity and quality of assets exponentially compared to the technology used to store and read them.

But maybe you wish games were still made with graphics and sound quality from 30 years ago...

No loading time is awesome, I think it was interview with the Soul's remake dev that mentioned reloading is main felt "pain" of dying, now that's gone.
The faster SSD (and advanced I/O system to match) will also translate to more better quality textures on screen at any given moment while moving.
Could also allow other assets to be handled without disrupting texture data, e.g. more geometry, or even NPC AI code activated earlier than otherwise.
Honestly one of PS5 tricks I'm most curious about is using Tempest for non-audio tasks, whether game doesn't need it for audio at all, or just doesn't
need the full capacity in terms of # of audio sources, it can also be used like a Cell except it is already on the GPU so presumably/hopefully should be
even more effective at synergizing with GPU workload (i.e. doing what it does best to allow rest of GPU to work more effectively).

Hynad said:
Leynos said:

Capacity is irrelevant.

Size of data is relevant to transfert speed.

Games gained in complexity and quality of assets exponentially compared to the technology used to store and read them.

But maybe you wish games were still made with graphics and sound quality from 30 years ago...

Are you ever not overly aggressive and argumentative? Yeah, I know which again goes back to my point. It took us 30 years to get us back to where we were 30 years ago.

mutantsushi said:
No loading time is awesome, I think it was interview with the Soul's remake dev that mentioned reloading is main felt "pain" of dying, now that's gone.
The faster SSD (and advanced I/O system to match) will also translate to more better quality textures on screen at any given moment while moving.
Could also allow other assets to be handled without disrupting texture data, e.g. more geometry, or even NPC AI code activated earlier than otherwise.
Honestly one of PS5 tricks I'm most curious about is using Tempest for non-audio tasks, whether game doesn't need it for audio at all, or just doesn't
need the full capacity in terms of # of audio sources, it can also be used like a Cell except it is already on the GPU so presumably/hopefully should be
even more effective at synergizing with GPU workload (i.e. doing what it does best to allow rest of GPU to work more effectively).

But, they weren't supposed to change the game. Less frustration, less fun, that's the point of souls games, or so I've been told. Removing loading screens makes the game unauthentic and no longer rewarding!

Next to faster loading, there's also much faster writing. Evolving worlds shouldn't be a problem anymore since it can all be stored and retrieved from disk near instantly. Worlds can become far more complex and unique over time.