By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Lifetime Software Sales Approaching 1.5 BILLION Units - About To Pass PS2 For Most All-Time!

Runa216 said:
Leynos said:
If this includes digital. Not that impressive. It's like counting the movie box office today vs 20 years ago without accounting for inflation. PS4 like anything with a digital store front is loaded with less than $5 pieces of software. PS2 broke the record with all physical games and no MSRP below $20. Mostt games $50 in the early 2000's money.

The difference between what you said and what I said, despite us both claiming this to not be as impressive as it looks, is that what I said was meant to be realistic and not get too hyped whereas you are trying to downplay this accomplishment. It's the subtle use of words, the focus, and the context that matters. 

IDK. I never read what you said so okay whatever. IDK.

Everything sells a million cheap games. It's a lot harder to sell that much when games cost more. PS2 did when the only games ranged from $20-$50 as opposed to $0.99 to $60. It's the same as saying PS4 hitting 100 million systems sold in 2020 is more impressive than NES selling 61 million in the early 90s. In context, NES is more impressive. The time period and market are more open now compared to 20-30 years ago. PS4 did accomplish a feat for sure but it's not as impressive as it sounds in context.

Last edited by Leynos - on 29 October 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:
If this includes digital. Not that impressive. It's like counting the movie box office today vs 20 years ago without accounting for inflation. PS4 like anything with a digital store front is loaded with less than $5 pieces of software. PS2 broke the record with all physical games and no MSRP below $20. Mostt games $50 in the early 2000's money.

lol... I hardly see any games that are under 5 dollars on PSN? How are you making this comment on, do you even browse the store? 

Considering PS2 totally dominated the gaming market in its days, everyone gamed on PS2. What PS4 is selling in software is absolutely amazing. 

Shadow1980 said:
I'm gonna ask what others have: Does this include indie games and other low-budget, low-price games, including downloads of F2P games (e.g., Fortnite, Minecraft)? If so, then what are we looking at in terms of actual packaged software that you usually have to pay full retail price for? 1.5 billion is very impressive, and I don't want to downplay that accomplishment, but I do want to make sure that what's going on here is an actual apples-to-apples comparison.

From what we know it is full SW but of all sizes, so low-budget and indies are included (I don`t think F2P and PS+ gave aways are included). It is about 13 games per HW sold (so not that much out of average if you remember last gen) and also if we look at the record revenue and profits from Playstation the inflation on SW sales from small titles (that well most doesn`t sell much, but certainly they add up) shouldn`t deviate much the "real" comparison to PS2. Just remember PS3 and X360 sold about 1B SW on 85M userbase. Add 30M userbase and them only like 1 more game per console need to be sold to reach 1.5B.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I reckon they can achieve 2 Billions since PS5 will be BC with PS4.

Still too low and unimpressive?

Not impressive? Maybe from one point of view, only taking software sales into consideration, but if you go back to the PS2 launch and the years following, the world was a very different place, and there were way less products in general, plus not as many worthy of spending your money on instead of games. In today's world, there are so many more products, especially electronic, gaming or not, with such high quality in comparison to the past, that it's pretty impressive PS4 has sold as many games as it has and will continue to, based on selling considerably less units than PS2 so far.

Around the Network

Thats very impressive!! My respect for the best Games-Console ever(together with the PS2).