By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Can mods stop deleting posts please?

Ka-pi96 said:

This is something that affects the community as a whole, so regardless of their personal opinions on the matter the mods should be at least willing to hear what the community things, and that can't be done in a PM.

Well said.  It's appropriate to discuss community issues with the community, even if some people may be weirded out by it.  

Around the Network

I've been banned multiple times and I'd have to say I deserve every one. I'm an asshole and I say fucked up things. My views might not change but I'd say the mods let most go. Sad to see snoopy get permabanned for not much but his post were never removed. Their might be some editing but usually spam accounts. I believe if you get banned then mods keep post up to show others what not to do.

Whew, another close call. Apparently nobody can read - they lost all mod permissions. I know why toilet paper is scarce. Not because Covid, because mods here are so full of $hit. It's weird. Go catch something contagious and leave all my followup accounts alone. Thanks.

Hiku said:
VAMatt said:

Well said.  It's appropriate to discuss community issues with the community, even if some people may be weirded out by it.  

But it's not appropriate to approach this the way OP did.

Instead of asking us a few questions first before making the thread, he proclaimed that we are in fact doing this to censor users. Didn't specify who he was talking about, so we wouldn't know if he's referring to someone that requested it, etc.

This was actually one of the reasons the Mod Thread was closed.
It's good that this brought attention to an issue that needed to be fixed. But should have been handled in a more inquisitive manner, than accusative.

I don't see it that way.  It doesn't matter whether the OP was correct about what was happening (he was) or the reasons it was happening (it looks like he was not).  It's still an issue for all of us to be aware of.  I can see where a mod might be offended by the post.  But, I don't see a problem with an OP being offensive, unless it is intended to offended for the sake of offending. 

Also, look at the outcome here.  The issue is being addressed - mods learned that they were inadvertently doing something that caused problems, community members got an explanation (one that will stay here for people to refer to later, if needed), and efforts to come to a more permanent solution are in place.  So, I'd say the OP did a good job.  

dpsx73 said:
Whew, another close call. Apparently nobody can read - they lost all mod permissions. I know why toilet paper is scarce. Not because Covid, because mods here are so full of $hit. It's weird. Go catch something contagious and leave all my followup accounts alone. Thanks.

Nah. We'll just keep banning them. There's a lot of gaming forums out there. If you can't follow the rules of this one, your time would probably better spent on one you like better. 

VAMatt said:
Hiku said:

But it's not appropriate to approach this the way OP did.

Instead of asking us a few questions first before making the thread, he proclaimed that we are in fact doing this to censor users. Didn't specify who he was talking about, so we wouldn't know if he's referring to someone that requested it, etc.

This was actually one of the reasons the Mod Thread was closed.
It's good that this brought attention to an issue that needed to be fixed. But should have been handled in a more inquisitive manner, than accusative.

I don't see it that way.  It doesn't matter whether the OP was correct about what was happening (he was) or the reasons it was happening (it looks like he was not).  It's still an issue for all of us to be aware of.  I can see where a mod might be offended by the post.  But, I don't see a problem with an OP being offensive, unless it is intended to offended for the sake of offending. 

Also, look at the outcome here.  The issue is being addressed - mods learned that they were inadvertently doing something that caused problems, community members got an explanation (one that will stay here for people to refer to later, if needed), and efforts to come to a more permanent solution are in place.  So, I'd say the OP did a good job.  

It's good that the issue was brought up, because now I know what I was doing and can avoid doing so in the future. But, that could have been accomplished by simply asking why we're deleting posts rather then asserting that there was ill intent behind it. 

Around the Network

Well im right aint i, this would have been better on discord or a pm. Why couldnt guys be your usual obtuse selves and locked it asap.... Or was it just another lets fuck with kirby

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Wait, NightlyPoe's asked for permaban?

Hiku said:
kirby007 said:
Well im right aint i, this would have been better on discord or a pm. Why couldnt guys be your usual obtuse selves and locked it asap.... Or was it just another lets fuck with kirby

Well you could have presented that story about the 2 mods in discord, but since you did it in public, you kinda force the clarification to also be made in public.

I cant ryuu banned me

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:

Cause if we lock it, people be like,

"HAH SEE THEY'RE TRYING TO HIDE IT AND SILENCE US!"

XD

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 25 October 2020

JWeinCom said:
Alright, so let me clarify a bit since I'm the mod in question here.

I was doing a ban for someone. Among other issues were some objectionable posts on their walls.

When you ban people, there's a little box that says "Delete PMs and Walls". So... thinking this would delete PMs and walls, I thought "oh, well that seems appropriate for this situation, I'll do just that".

Unbeknownst to me clicking that box actually deletes every post they've made, and apparently some posts that quote them as well.

There's a possibility that I may have used that on other users too, if this has happened before. Like, John requested a ban, so I figured he'd want his walls wiped clean too. Now that I know that clicking the box doesn't do what I thought, I won't be clicking it anymore.

So, this was not an effort to delete posts. I legitimately had no idea that was even something I could do, and was as surprised as anyone else. I think they're working on changing the way that option works so it won't be an issue in the future.

I hope they're also working on better onboarding.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.