By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Stadia Creative Director- Streamers should pay to license games they stream

foodfather said:
I still don't understand how lets plays are a thing.

Written ones, as that's how they were done in the past, with some small videos with things that couldn't be shown in a satisfactory manner any other way, were quite good. Too bad the video part has taken so much over that most people don't even know that Let's Plays were originally in form of text and pictures.

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
technically he has a point, its not like you can watch every TV show while streaming. But in practice its a very simplistic view of what streaming is, leeching content

Agreed exactly my thought.  Those that were doing live reactions of Game of Throne episodes couldn't show the episode in the video, try to do a reaction to a whole album and it will get taken down if you play all of the songs.  I've seen plenty of people say they weren't going to buy The Last of us 2 because it's woke, but will watch someone play the game for free on twitch.  Now I don't particularly care what other do, but he does have a point.

foodfather said:

I don't watch streams. Just YT stuff. Sometimes I like playing games. Then I like to watch someone I like to play a game. Sometimes the stuff I played. Sometimes something not interested in buying but curious to see a personality react and enjoy. I'm not that interested in an LP with no voice-over or person in the corner. Tho there is Undebuffed but they are like an old fashioned guide and less of an LP. Just shows hidden areas or collectibles. So like an old Prima Guide.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

i feel like a lot of people who say this type of stuff would be the first to immediately regret it if it ever actually happened once they realize it's not gonna play out the way they imagine it

how they think it would go: you mean we can make even MORE money alongside all the free marketing and word of mouth these people are doing for our games by charging them to stream it? fuck YEAH

in reality: 99% of people just straight up stop streaming or posting gameplay of it because they're not gonna pay a fee to play or show a game they already paid for, so not only are they not gaining any more money from anything they are only losing a HUGE amount of free marketing and word of mouth that can literally be the difference between a game sinking or swimming (just look at Among Us like @Bandorr mentioned)

Last edited by FloatingWaffles - on 22 October 2020

foodfather said:

I don’t watch them, but the idea is to replicate the feeling of being over a friends house playing a game on the TV. The commentary by the streamer and the comments of the viewership simulate a sense of togetherness and unrehearsed emotions, just like the real thing.

Personally I see it as a waste of time but I get the appeal. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
The poor guy, he must be having a real hard time working for Google.

He's from Ubisoft, must not be too much of a change, really.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

What a dumb motherfucker

Damn, that's harsh. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

I think that developers should charge streamers to stream their games if they want. It's their content, and I think that's their right.

With that being said, streamers will simply shift to other games, whose developers would be more than happy to take advantage of the free advertising.

He is sounding more and more like Jonathon Blow whom I fucking hate. Both of them sound related.

Last edited by Leynos - on 23 October 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Like someone already said on twitter: "why doesn't Google pay me for all of my data that they mine?", y'know, because they make an ass ton from selling said people's data on a daily basis, searches on search engines and all.

What a stupid and narrow minded hot take...

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"