By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Backwards Compatibility: The NeverEnding Story

Cobretti2 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

One of the reasons why I buy my games on PC instead if given the choice. Don't care if I have a 1080 or a 3090, games will work and they will look fap worthy with newer hardware.

With that being said, I do like when a console has BC. If you have a Ps5 that's BC and a Ps5 that's not BC for less money, I'd pick the Ps5 that's BC. But at the end of the day, we are buying new consoles for the new games so while it's nice to have, it's never the key reason.

That is the main reason why I love steam and am so against all digital on consoles, until they can make it like steam where your collection is tied to your account and not a system each gen.

Backwards compatibility was a non issue on consoles because they were plug and play and become retro consoles. From PS360 onwards, they become closer to PC, in terms of needing installs, patches and content updates.  This effectively made them useless as retro consoles as the online services shutdown for those systems it meant you could not get patches anymore. 

So now we are stuck in this loop of research before you buy a console game to ensure it ain't totally broken without patches, or do you go PC, or do you scream I want backwards compatibility lol. 

Technically only PS5 doesn't support full backwards compability. Series X does and my guess is that MS will continue that route as long as they make consoles since they want to make Xbox PC like.

Around the Network

Why not? I would love it there was one as some games could use a bump in visuals and a more stable framerate. Just look at examples like ghost. Imwe got the downgraded version on ps4 but on ps5 theres a possibility of getting what we saw at reveal. The same can be said for last of us 2 and many others. Don't forget not everyone has all consoles like me and u lol 

OneTime said:
Is anyone really buying a PS5 to play PS4 games?

Backward compatibility is largely driven by what hardware upgrades a console gets. PS4 and PS5 both contain standard PC parts: an x64 processor with AMD GPU, so you can do backward compatibility fairly easily. The PS3 had a custom IBM Cell processor so it couldn't.

From a consumer's perspective, if you already have a PS4 then you don't need PS5 to play PS4 games. When you upgrade, you probably want to play PS5 games anyway. If you want to sell your PS4 for money, you'll need to include a pile of games to make it worthwhile. So backwards compatibility actually doesn't actually matter much more than a advertising checkbox if you think through it...

OneTime said:
Is anyone really buying a PS5 to play PS4 games?

Backward compatibility is largely driven by what hardware upgrades a console gets. PS4 and PS5 both contain standard PC parts: an x64 processor with AMD GPU, so you can do backward compatibility fairly easily. The PS3 had a custom IBM Cell processor so it couldn't.

From a consumer's perspective, if you already have a PS4 then you don't need PS5 to play PS4 games. When you upgrade, you probably want to play PS5 games anyway. If you want to sell your PS4 for money, you'll need to include a pile of games to make it worthwhile. So backwards compatibility actually doesn't actually matter much more than a advertising checkbox if you think through it...

SvennoJ said:
BC is convenient for the first couple months when the new console is out, after that I never touch it again.

Come to think of it, BC is probably bad for sales of the current systems. Many people will be selling their old systems since they can play all the games on the new system. I never sell my old hardware. It's always nice to boot up the ps3 again and 'find' all the stuff I collected on there.

BC only gets more relevant since there is nothing much to be excited about for launch games :/

I still use the BC on my Wii U to this day to play Wii games, especially Super Smash Bros Brawl, which almost never wanted to run on my Wii but never made a fuss on my Wii U. Also, I kept my Gamecube at the time due to the Game Boy Player, and use it sometimes to play the two Fire Emblem (Sacred Stones and Shadow Dragon) on the Big Screen. Also used it a lot to play the GBA version of Zelda 2 since my NES was pretty much dead by then, but now with Switch (well, and the Wii, since I bought it there on the VC, too) I don't need to do that anymore to play it.

I'll watch the video tomorrow but I've always loved bc. I'm excited to see what the 9th gen consoles do with my old games.

Twitter: @d21lewis

Soonerman said:
Cobretti2 said:

That is the main reason why I love steam and am so against all digital on consoles, until they can make it like steam where your collection is tied to your account and not a system each gen.

Backwards compatibility was a non issue on consoles because they were plug and play and become retro consoles. From PS360 onwards, they become closer to PC, in terms of needing installs, patches and content updates.  This effectively made them useless as retro consoles as the online services shutdown for those systems it meant you could not get patches anymore. 

So now we are stuck in this loop of research before you buy a console game to ensure it ain't totally broken without patches, or do you go PC, or do you scream I want backwards compatibility lol. 

Technically only PS5 doesn't support full backwards compability. Series X does and my guess is that MS will continue that route as long as they make consoles since they want to make Xbox PC like.

Series X isn't full backwards compatible, it's backwards compatible with what was backwards compatible on the Xbox one, so 42/1001 Xbox games and 577/2083 Xbox 360 games

Around the Network

Backwards compatibility is important to me, and I do use it quite a bit. I wish the PS5 was fully BC for a couple reasons:

1. I originally had a fat 60GB PS3. It was glorious. I could play PS1, PS2, and PS3 games, all through HDMI. Unfortunately, it started displaying graphical glitches after a while. So I had to replace it with a PS3 that no longer has BC with the PS2. W had also previously sold the PS2 since we no longer needed it. I would happily go with a 60GB PS3 and PS5 as my all encompassing solution, but buying one of those used today is really just gambling that it will last.

2. Even if I did have a PS2, the best that thing can output is component. Aside from the fact that component is considerably lower quality than HDMI, most TVs today don't even have component ports anymore. It is increasingly difficult to actually play a PS2 today.

Right now, I resort to emulation on my PC for my PS2 needs, which is pretty good, but not perfect. Would be nice if Sony provided a method.

Cobretti2 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

One of the reasons why I buy my games on PC instead if given the choice. Don't care if I have a 1080 or a 3090, games will work and they will look fap worthy with newer hardware.

With that being said, I do like when a console has BC. If you have a Ps5 that's BC and a Ps5 that's not BC for less money, I'd pick the Ps5 that's BC. But at the end of the day, we are buying new consoles for the new games so while it's nice to have, it's never the key reason.

Umm, unless I am misunderstanding you, this is exactly how backwards compatibility works on Xbox.  There are games that I purchased through Xbox Live back on my Xbox 360 like Portal and Fusion Frenzy that, when made backwards compatible, I was able to download and play without issue.  I can also sign into any other Xbox and download the game, and it can be played on that Xbox as long as my account is logged in on that console.

CladInShadows said:
Backwards compatibility is important to me, and I do use it quite a bit. I wish the PS5 was fully BC for a couple reasons:

1. I originally had a fat 60GB PS3. It was glorious. I could play PS1, PS2, and PS3 games, all through HDMI. Unfortunately, it started displaying graphical glitches after a while. So I had to replace it with a PS3 that no longer has BC with the PS2. W had also previously sold the PS2 since we no longer needed it. I would happily go with a 60GB PS3 and PS5 as my all encompassing solution, but buying one of those used today is really just gambling that it will last.

2. Even if I did have a PS2, the best that thing can output is component. Aside from the fact that component is considerably lower quality than HDMI, most TVs today don't even have component ports anymore. It is increasingly difficult to actually play a PS2 today.

Right now, I resort to emulation on my PC for my PS2 needs, which is pretty good, but not perfect. Would be nice if Sony provided a method.

Component is not lower quality than hdmi with decent equipment. Composite video is the lower quality one. My ps2 with component cable looks just as good as ps3 through hdmi, same with the 360 in 1080p over component cable, zero difference with the later HDMI revision.

If your tv doesn't have component video input you can use this
https://www.amazon.ca/Portta-N3CVTRH-Component-Converter-support/dp/B0088HO1UC/

You can of course still use the digital sound output from the ps2 direct to amp for better sound quality. There are converters with digital audio as well but they are a lot more expensive
https://www.amazon.ca/Monoprice-105971-Component-Digital-Converter/dp/B0034HWQ4Y

It's very easy to play a ps2 nowadays, there's actually an all in one solution so you don't even need the component output cable for the ps2 or extra power cable
https://www.amazon.ca/LiNKFOR-Converter-Playstation-Adapter-Headphone/dp/B07L58VX95/

I've always made regular use of backwards compatibility. To me, it greatly adds to the value of a system, because it's convenient to be able to free up space being occupied by older systems while still being able to play older games, and I do still play older games quite a bit. I regularly played PS1 games on my PS2. I regularly played Halo CE & Halo 2 on my 360 (I didn't have many OXbox games, but I played the hell out of some Halo). And I regularly play 360 games on my One X. There are current-gen games I imagine I will still play on the PS5 and Series X.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

SvennoJ said:
CladInShadows said:

Component is not lower quality than hdmi with decent equipment. Composite video is the lower quality one. My ps2 with component cable looks just as good as ps3 through hdmi, same with the 360 in 1080p over component cable, zero difference with the later HDMI revision.

If your tv doesn't have component video input you can use this
https://www.amazon.ca/Portta-N3CVTRH-Component-Converter-support/dp/B0088HO1UC/

You can of course still use the digital sound output from the ps2 direct to amp for better sound quality. There are converters with digital audio as well but they are a lot more expensive
https://www.amazon.ca/Monoprice-105971-Component-Digital-Converter/dp/B0034HWQ4Y

It's very easy to play a ps2 nowadays, there's actually an all in one solution so you don't even need the component output cable for the ps2 or extra power cable
https://www.amazon.ca/LiNKFOR-Converter-Playstation-Adapter-Headphone/dp/B07L58VX95/

Yes, component is good, and certainly better than composite.  But no, it's not as good as HDMI, at least specifically in terms of PS2 vs PS3. I had the PS2 component cable back in the day. It only outputs at 480p. It was an obvious improvement when I got the PS3 and started playing my PS2 games there, even if it was only upscaled.  It's a cleaner image.  And that's even before talking about the convenience of having audio and video in one, being able to play all your games on one system, not having to buy converters, extra cables, etc.

My PC is hooked up to the same TV as my consoles, so unless Sony throws us a bone for BC, I'll probably stick to emulation (of my legally purchased PS2 games, of course).