By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Backwards Compatibility: The NeverEnding Story

Scott goes down the backwards compatible memory lane... member that!?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waS_vEA2aAE

I think the subject is quite on topic nowadays with newer consoles opting to keep BC while few devices back they shunned them.

What is your opinion now on backwards compatibility?

To BC, or not to BC, that is the question!

Last edited by TomaTito - on 19 October 2020

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network

One of the reasons why I buy my games on PC instead if given the choice. Don't care if I have a 1080 or a 3090, games will work and they will look fap worthy with newer hardware.

With that being said, I do like when a console has BC. If you have a Ps5 that's BC and a Ps5 that's not BC for less money, I'd pick the Ps5 that's BC. But at the end of the day, we are buying new consoles for the new games so while it's nice to have, it's never the key reason.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

TomaTito said:

Scott goes down the backwards compatible memory lane... member that!?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waS_vEA2aAE

I think the subject is quite on topic nowadays with newer consoles opting to keep BC while few devices back they shunned them.

What sort of revelation is this suppose to be?  The older the console, the less you'll have backwards compatibility with.  The newer the console, the more you can go back with backwards compatibility.   Besides, his conclusion pretty much wraps it up from 15:11.  Paraphrased: In the end, it's not that big of a deal, and not a whole lot of people really care.

The price you pay for price.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Everything in that video is so dirty. Clean your stuff man.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
LivingMetal said:
TomaTito said:

What sort of revelation is this suppose to be?  The older the console, the less you'll have backwards compatibility with.  The newer the console, the more you can go back with backwards compatibility.   Besides, his conclusion pretty much wraps it up from 15:11.  Paraphrased: In the end, it's not that big of a deal, and not a whole lot of people really care.

It's only supposed to spark conversation.

Back in 2012 I did think about BC being limited by the controls. Gamepads would be harder to make backwards compatible, specially when a company wants to innovate that part of the hardware. Still as we have seen this generation, said limitations can be overcome through software.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Is anyone really buying a PS5 to play PS4 games?

Backward compatibility is largely driven by what hardware upgrades a console gets. PS4 and PS5 both contain standard PC parts: an x64 processor with AMD GPU, so you can do backward compatibility fairly easily. The PS3 had a custom IBM Cell processor so it couldn't.

From a consumer's perspective, if you already have a PS4 then you don't need PS5 to play PS4 games. When you upgrade, you probably want to play PS5 games anyway. If you want to sell your PS4 for money, you'll need to include a pile of games to make it worthwhile. So backwards compatibility actually doesn't actually matter much more than a advertising checkbox if you think through it...

For me BC isn't something relevant. Sure if they are made to the level of Remasters (that is what I understood smart delivery with some of the tools MS put would provide) that can greatly improve the original it is something cool (but that I would use to play just a very limited number of games). I buy new consoles to play new games.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

BC is convenient for the first couple months when the new console is out, after that I never touch it again.

Come to think of it, BC is probably bad for sales of the current systems. Many people will be selling their old systems since they can play all the games on the new system. I never sell my old hardware. It's always nice to boot up the ps3 again and 'find' all the stuff I collected on there.

BC only gets more relevant since there is nothing much to be excited about for launch games :/

Captain_Yuri said:

One of the reasons why I buy my games on PC instead if given the choice. Don't care if I have a 1080 or a 3090, games will work and they will look fap worthy with newer hardware.

With that being said, I do like when a console has BC. If you have a Ps5 that's BC and a Ps5 that's not BC for less money, I'd pick the Ps5 that's BC. But at the end of the day, we are buying new consoles for the new games so while it's nice to have, it's never the key reason.

That is the main reason why I love steam and am so against all digital on consoles, until they can make it like steam where your collection is tied to your account and not a system each gen.

Backwards compatibility was a non issue on consoles because they were plug and play and become retro consoles. From PS360 onwards, they become closer to PC, in terms of needing installs, patches and content updates.  This effectively made them useless as retro consoles as the online services shutdown for those systems it meant you could not get patches anymore. 

So now we are stuck in this loop of research before you buy a console game to ensure it ain't totally broken without patches, or do you go PC, or do you scream I want backwards compatibility lol.