By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 makes it easier to report abusive behavior in party chat

Replicant said:
Spade said:
Man it's brutal outside this thread.

ice said: 
How do people function in the real world lol Lord knows if being stupid is a bannable offense VGC might look like a ghost town. 

Xbox users complaining about how "brutal" it is outside the Xbox thread looks worse by the minute.

I didn't report you but you surely know that calling someone stupid is (or used to be) a bannable offense. Maybe turn it down a notch.

Okay I got time for a proper reply now I think I know what you’re going for. 

but to re-address the last, I never called any particular user stupid, I made an overall joke about the site

but you trying to go for the “hypocrite xbots” angle is such a bad take, and off-topic. 

1.Spade and I aren’t the same person 

2. inviting people into a party/getting invited to a party, where you have to ability to control who talks to you, is entirely Different than a forum. It’s more akin to having a private Skype group with handpicked friends/people and then complaining about the situation, just leave or kick people. 

You trying to dig up posts from another user to use against me as an means to “expose” a fan base. Is a bad look 

Around the Network
ice said:
Replicant said:

Xbox users complaining about how "brutal" it is outside the Xbox thread looks worse by the minute.

I didn't report you but you surely know that calling someone stupid is (or used to be) a bannable offense. Maybe turn it down a notch.

Okay I got time for a proper reply now I think I know what you’re going for. 

but to re-address the last, I never called any particular user stupid, I made an overall joke about the site

but you trying to go for the “hypocrite xbots” angle is such a bad take, and off-topic. 

1.Spade and I aren’t the same person 

2. inviting people into a party/getting invited to a party, where you have to ability to control who talks to you, is entirely Different than a forum. It’s more akin to having a private Skype group with handpicked friends/people and then complaining about the situation, just leave or kick people. 

You trying to dig up posts from another user to use against me as an means to “expose” a fan base. Is a bad look 

His post got a bunch of likes and "Xbox users being bullied" is a recurring theme (especially in the Xbox thread).

But no, you're right. You and Spade aren't the same person. It wasn't my intention to make it seem so. Sorry.

Replicant said:
Spade said:
Man it's brutal outside this thread.

Replicant said:

His post got a bunch of likes and "Xbox users being bullied" is a recurring theme (especially in the Xbox thread).

But no, you're right. You and Spade aren't the same person. It wasn't my intention to make it seem so. Sorry.

Some of that was probably my fault Replicant.  He took some heat for a giant wall of text with no paragraph breaks.  I made a comment about him not knowing how many consoles would be manufactured so hence he couldn't know who would sale more.

When he stepped into the Xbox thread he made that comment but I don't think he meant it as "brutal" as he is being bullied.  I think is was just him saying "damn, things are tough out there" he didn't direct it at anyone. Hell it could have been at me.

It was me that assumed it was anti-xbox sentiment and made my comment in response (thus making it appear more like the way you interpreted it).  I was only trying to be humorous and lighten his mood. 

I think I'm the one that bares the responsibility for creating an atmosphere that may have or may not have existed.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Hiku said:
Zkuq said:

2. I just think I've seen moderators update first posts in similar cases before, but like I said, I don't mind either way, so fair enough. Would just like consistency. But yeah, too many misinformed posts is not great for further discussion, I can definitely agree about that.

3. I don't mind people getting moderated for bad behaviour, and I'm not at all surprised it already appens. Again, it's the recording part that's the problem, and more precisely submitting recordings to Sony. If it's people recording video/audio, it's scattered wherever, but probably not stored on Sony's servers in a large scale, which is the most problematic part to me. It doesn't make much sense to fight people recording, but a big corporation is a different case.

4. It's the fact that voice is (in a way) much more personal that bothers me. It's instrinsic, a part of me, unlike what I write, kind of like, say, DNA. I'm not concerned about whether people get correctly identified (it's a different problem) and I also expect identification to work well enough even without voice, but I am concerned about Sony getting something very personal information about me despite not really needing it. For example, I would be fine with Sony getting a transcription of what I say but not my voice and speech itself. As far as I know, no recording of my voice exists on any server, and I would like to keep it that way if possible.

7. Yeah, I can easily see how this makes reporting bad behaviour easier, so I can definitely see the value in this. It's just weighing the pros against the cons, and I find this clearly negative all things considered. I don't like attaching false information to my accounts, so this is more of a problem for me. This is probably also a part of why I'm so hesitant to create new accounts just because someone requires it... Anyway, I'm not worried about Sony even selling my information or anything, although that too can be a risk. This is just a guaranteed way to get your voice on remote servers if anyone you ever talk to ever thinks your voice should end up there. I too am wary of my phone, but I also don't think it's really spying on me. There's a chance it might, either now or in the future, but as far as I know, it doesn't and probably won't either. If I ever have more reason to suspect my phone, I might take action (whatever that might me), but for now, I'm OK enough with my phone. (And just for the record, I'm not all that comfortable with what a lot of apps are doing, and I try to steer clear of apps that want more data than they need.)

2. Adding to the opening post is one thing. Editing things out is something I'd rather not do. (Which is why I was hoping that OP would do it himself, but 7 hours later and he seemed to have no interest in doing so.) And in situations like this, leaving the OP as is with an added clarification, some people will still start typing up their posts after only reading the headline, or one sentence, etc. It's happened before. As for everyone in the thread that already began discussing it, they won't read the OP again, so people have to spend time correcting them one by one on info they should already be aware of.

It was a mess, so I think this is more effective.

3. Well to reiterate (because you worded it as 'it's the recording part that's the problem', the recording by users was always happening. As was the submitting for moderator review. It'll seemingly just be easier to do, and possibly less room for false reports on PS5.
There is a setting though where you can prevent your voice from being included in another person's recording.

But that seems like an easy way for verbally toxic players to circumvent the report system, so I'm not sure how you'll then be able to report such people.

4. Not sure how a transcript would work? Let's say I'm in an online match with some random people, and one of them starts reciting Hitler speeches and says that jews are the source of all evil in the world etc. You mean I should write up a transcript of what they said and send that in for moderator review?
Then how would the moderators know whether this actually happened?
Or do you mean a built in feature that creates a transcript from the audio? I suppose that's an option. But obviously that's going to have issues with accuracy.

7. Not to get too sidetracked about government spying on us, but there's a video with Snowden where he explained how people's web and phone cameras were used by them to spy on people. So you can look that up if you're interested.

2. I have a slightly different view, but I also find your reasoning fair and have no further need to challenge the decision. Good stuff anyway in trying to keep things fact-based. :)

3. I guess I haven't been clear enough in every sentence, but the bigger problem is when things get submitted to Sony. Users recording things is something that's harder to avoid, so I'm not going to even attempt to fight it despite my dislike for it. Thanks for letting me know of that setting though!

4. For the most part, it's not really a practical suggestion. It's more of a hypothetical suggestion about what I would be comfortable with. Anyway, I was thinking more of automatic machine-performed transcripting, which is not really an effective solution right now (just go look at how automatic subtitles work on YouTube). Done manually, it's too much work and not at all reliable, and done automatically, it's not reliable either. When reliability is so low, I don't think it's at all fitting for a moderation system, but it would be something I would probably be OK with. We'll probably get there at some point, but looks like we're still a way off.

7. I'm pretty picky about what kinds of videos I watch because videos are usually an extremely time-wasteful way to present information, so I'll probably skip. Thanks for the tip though! Anyway, would you happen to remember whether it was certain apps doing the spying or if the phones do it even without any specific apps installed? My impression is that phone operating systems have fairly strict limits on how cameras and microphones can be used, but on computers it's probably more of a problem since there aren't such strict limits due to the way most operating systems work. That's why I'm happy to say I have very little use for my laptop and have covered its webcam anyway. ;P The chances of anyone spying on me are low, but it's such an easy precaution to take. Reminds me that I should probably cover the webcam of my work laptop as well... The risk is probably much higher there anyway.

Hiku said:
Zkuq said:

7. I'm pretty picky about what kinds of videos I watch because videos are usually an extremely time-wasteful way to present information, so I'll probably skip. Thanks for the tip though! Anyway, would you happen to remember whether it was certain apps doing the spying or if the phones do it even without any specific apps installed? My impression is that phone operating systems have fairly strict limits on how cameras and microphones can be used, but on computers it's probably more of a problem since there aren't such strict limits due to the way most operating systems work. That's why I'm happy to say I have very little use for my laptop and have covered its webcam anyway. ;P The chances of anyone spying on me are low, but it's such an easy precaution to take. Reminds me that I should probably cover the webcam of my work laptop as well... The risk is probably much higher there anyway.

7. Even though I remember finding the video interesting when I watched it, I somehow forgot a lot of details, including if it's specific apps, or if they just get access to your whole device somehow.
That said, looking up the video again, the title of it is Edward Snowden: How Your Cell Phone Spies on You.
I'll have to put it on my playlist and listen to it while I'm out and about to refresh my memory.

Thanks! I might look that up if I remember and feel like I have a moment to spare.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Zkuq said:

2. I just think I've seen moderators update first posts in similar cases before, but like I said, I don't mind either way, so fair enough. Would just like consistency. But yeah, too many misinformed posts is not great for further discussion, I can definitely agree about that.

3. I don't mind people getting moderated for bad behaviour, and I'm not at all surprised it already appens. Again, it's the recording part that's the problem, and more precisely submitting recordings to Sony. If it's people recording video/audio, it's scattered wherever, but probably not stored on Sony's servers in a large scale, which is the most problematic part to me. It doesn't make much sense to fight people recording, but a big corporation is a different case.

4. It's the fact that voice is (in a way) much more personal that bothers me. It's instrinsic, a part of me, unlike what I write, kind of like, say, DNA. I'm not concerned about whether people get correctly identified (it's a different problem) and I also expect identification to work well enough even without voice, but I am concerned about Sony getting something very personal information about me despite not really needing it. For example, I would be fine with Sony getting a transcription of what I say but not my voice and speech itself. As far as I know, no recording of my voice exists on any server, and I would like to keep it that way if possible.

7. Yeah, I can easily see how this makes reporting bad behaviour easier, so I can definitely see the value in this. It's just weighing the pros against the cons, and I find this clearly negative all things considered. I don't like attaching false information to my accounts, so this is more of a problem for me. This is probably also a part of why I'm so hesitant to create new accounts just because someone requires it... Anyway, I'm not worried about Sony even selling my information or anything, although that too can be a risk. This is just a guaranteed way to get your voice on remote servers if anyone you ever talk to ever thinks your voice should end up there. I too am wary of my phone, but I also don't think it's really spying on me. There's a chance it might, either now or in the future, but as far as I know, it doesn't and probably won't either. If I ever have more reason to suspect my phone, I might take action (whatever that might me), but for now, I'm OK enough with my phone. (And just for the record, I'm not all that comfortable with what a lot of apps are doing, and I try to steer clear of apps that want more data than they need.)

2. Adding to the opening post is one thing. Editing things out is something I'd rather not do. (Which is why I was hoping that OP would do it himself, but 7 hours later and he seemed to have no interest in doing so.) And in situations like this, leaving the OP as is with an added clarification, some people will still start typing up their posts after only reading the headline, or one sentence, etc. It's happened before. As for everyone in the thread that already began discussing it, they won't read the OP again, so people have to spend time correcting them one by one on info they should already be aware of.

It was a mess, so I think this is more effective.

3. Well to reiterate (because you worded it as 'it's the recording part that's the problem', the recording by users was always happening. As was the submitting for moderator review. It'll seemingly just be easier to do, and possibly less room for false reports on PS5.
There is a setting though where you can prevent your voice from being included in another person's recording.

But that seems like an easy way for verbally toxic players to circumvent the report system, so I'm not sure how you'll then be able to report such people.

4. Not sure how a transcript would work? Let's say I'm in an online match with some random people, and one of them starts reciting Hitler speeches and says that jews are the source of all evil in the world etc. You mean I should write up a transcript of what they said and send that in for moderator review?
Then how would the moderators know whether this actually happened?
Or do you mean a built in feature that creates a transcript from the audio? I suppose that's an option. But obviously that's going to have issues with accuracy.

7. Not to get too sidetracked about government spying on us, but there's a video with Snowden where he explained how people's web and phone cameras were used by them to spy on people. So you can look that up if you're interested.

Let people do this imo, but make it visible who has it disabled. This way people can spend time with their kin folk. If Im dealing with a stranger and they have this disabled, I probably don't to be in a chat with them anyway. If I do, then I'm willing to face the consequences of them saying some offensive crap and getting away with it. Let people create their own environments.