By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you remember NTSC AND PAL?

In Europe we had the choice between the Pal at 50Hz and the Pal 60Hz which was like the Ntsc

Around the Network

Loool! Yes I remember that I had to play Zelda Ocarina of Time Master Quest on the Gamecube in black and white because my old TV didn't support 60 Hz in colour haha. The struggle was real.

Sure I remember that.

Yep

Kinda. I mean, I never knew that I was playing inferior versions of videogames back when I was a kid. Some time ago, internet, Youtube and emulators made me realize the horrible truth. I could never play Super Metroid or Punch-Out!! at 50Hz ever again.

Around the Network

same for me I didn't know

BeardedDragon said:

Loool! Yes I remember that I had to play Zelda Ocarina of Time Master Quest on the Gamecube in black and white because my old TV didn't support 60 Hz in colour haha. The struggle was real.

The TV supported it, but you used the wrong cable.

If that TV didn't support 60 Hz, you wouldn't have had a picture.

It wasn't very long ago

I thought it was still a thing. I’m an American. I used to pirate Dreamcast games. If I accidentally grabbed a pal version it played like a total mess.

YanisFromFrance said:

In Europe we had the choice between the Pal at 50Hz and the Pal 60Hz which was like the Ntsc

Since you're from France, you should also definitely remember SÉCAM, since all french channels actually used that system instead of PAL. Eastern Europe also adopted SÉCAM for political reasons: NTSC was from the Americans and thus not an option, while the neighboring countries from the Warsaw block used PAL. So to avoid the inhabitants to receive that signal, the Soviet Union, and by extension the whole Warsaw block,  choose SÉCAM as their transmission standard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SECAM