By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Got invited to the give the keynote speech at an autism conference

NightlyPoe said:
curl-6 said:

If anyone else here on the spectrum would like to weigh in on issues they think I should raise or mention, I'd love to hear your advice/input. :)

Philosophical question:  If I listed a dozen autism jokes to help you break the ice, would that make me a good person or a bad person?

It wouldn't make you either. But if your heart is in the right place, I'd say it's a good thing to do.

But, if Curl agrees, that's something better done in PM. Even if Curl is ok with it, that could be potentially upsetting to other users who are or have loved ones on the spectrum. Everyone has different senses of humor, and when dealing with a topic like this, we should definitely err on the side of caution. 

Around the Network

Thanks heaps for all the kind words guys!

JWeinCom said:
NightlyPoe said:

Philosophical question:  If I listed a dozen autism jokes to help you break the ice, would that make me a good person or a bad person?

It wouldn't make you either. But if your heart is in the right place, I'd say it's a good thing to do.

But, if Curl agrees, that's something better done in PM. Even if Curl is ok with it, that could be potentially upsetting to other users who are or have loved ones on the spectrum. Everyone has different senses of humor, and when dealing with a topic like this, we should definitely err on the side of caution. 

I was unsure how to respond to that post, but I think this is probably the best solution.

EnricoPallazzo said:
Congrats! I have two cousins on the spectrum and I know how life can be hard for them sometimes, althoigh they are sucessful people. If there is one thing I would say is how important it is to have a diagnosis. Once you understand you have a condition its easier to seek help if necessary and also makes you understand much better the world around you and how to live in it.

Great advice; speaking for myself, diagnosis made a world of difference. I didn't get one until I was 19, and before that I got no support and was endlessly frustrated with myself for not thinking or feeling the way the people around me did. Getting an answer was like having a blindfold taken off.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 06 October 2020

curl-6 said:

JWeinCom said:

I was unsure how to respond to that post, but I think this is probably the best solution.

EnricoPallazzo said:
Congrats! I have two cousins on the spectrum and I know how life can be hard for them sometimes, althoigh they are sucessful people. If there is one thing I would say is how important it is to have a diagnosis. Once you understand you have a condition its easier to seek help if necessary and also makes you understand much better the world around you and how to live in it.

Great advice; speaking for myself, diagnosis made a world of difference. I didn't get one until I was 19, and before that I got no support and was endlessly frustrated with myself for not thinking or feeling the way the people around me did. Getting an answer was like having a blindfold taken off.

Glad to help. I once asked my cousing if he didnt think it was bad to be labeling so many people as autists as in his case he's got a great job, a house, 2 kids etc so he could be considered "normal", if he didnt feel like it wasnt necessary. In his words he said "no it was amazing, it was like being released from prision because know I can understand why people are like they are and why my reactions are not understood sometimes. Also helps me to deal with the world in a much easier way because now I know how it works".

I hope you can give a great speech, nice work.

EnricoPallazzo said:
curl-6 said:

Glad to help. I once asked my cousing if he didnt think it was bad to be labeling so many people as autists as in his case he's got a great job, a house, 2 kids etc so he could be considered "normal", if he didnt feel like it wasnt necessary. In his words he said "no it was amazing, it was like being released from prision because know I can understand why people are like they are and why my reactions are not understood sometimes. Also helps me to deal with the world in a much easier way because now I know how it works".

Thanks man!

The way I look at it, we all get labelled anyway. I'd rather be labelled as Autistic and be understood than be labeled rude, lazy, oversensitive and annoying.

Congrats.

My advice to you is, read some of DarkLord2008 (forgot if this is the exact username) posts from here. Then use those things as example of how u can get stuck in self pity about autism and how not to get in that situation.

Around the Network

Congrats on being invited to be the keynote speaker!

I have a 12-year old daughter who is on the spectrum. I don't have any advice though. I still trying to figure this whole thing out myself. I am definitely willing to take advice if you have any.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 06 October 2020

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I have a 12-year old daughter who is on the spectrum. I don't have any advice though. I still trying to figure this whole thing out myself. I am definitely willing to take advice if you have any.

Thank you. :)

While it depends on the person and the form of their autism, generally speaking I would say the most important thing is to figure out her Autistic strengths and passions, and concentrate on those; I was lucky enough to have parents who did this with me and pushed me to pursue my obsession with writing, which helped me to feel more positively about myself. Also if possible, helping her meet and form friendships with other Autistics her age can help her not feel alone and feel a sense of belonging.

curl-6 said:
EnricoPallazzo said:

Thanks man!

The way I look at it, we all get labelled anyway. I'd rather be labelled as Autistic and be understood than be labeled rude, lazy, oversensitive and annoying.

That's a great attitude. One of my first clients was undiagnosed for autism when he came to us, he had an ADHD diagnosis but we quickly saw clear signs of autism and he also showed some pretty heavy Tourettes in his mannerisms, verbal outbursts, and overall level of uncontrolled tics. But his mother refused to begin official diagnosing of her son since she was scared that he'd be stigmatized, she claimed that "it's enough with the ADHD already", as if neuropsychiatric disorders was something one either acknowledged or not (about 60% of people with autism have overlapping diagnoses, often undiagnosed). We tried explaining the sort of difficulties he could encounter and the value of psychoeducation in order to understand oneself and one's place in the world, as well as the immense stigma he would likely suffer growing into adulthood without the proper tools and/or medicine. She wouldn't listen and as far as I know, the diagnoses were never officially explored and set. He moved back home into a heavily negative symbiotic relationship with his mother, there was both physical and verbal abuse from both parties and a slew of troubling circumstances and behaviors from the mother (she was from the US and equated autism with Downs syndrome and other, similar things).

What I've seen through my years at work is that the stigma and labelling is always a lot worse when the client is unaware or lacks knowledge about themselves and they lack tools and coping strategies to deal with life. The more aware of and attuned with their disorders they become, the less labelling and stigma they experience since they can more easily find their groove and begin living on their own conditions and not solely based on the unrealistic and unfair expectations set by both themselves and the world they live in.

curl-6; you are inspirational in many ways, my ambition is to be able to instill the same sense of self-worth and insight into our kids at the home.

curl-6 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Thank you. :)

While it depends on the person and the form of their autism, generally speaking I would say the most important thing is to figure out her Autistic strengths and passions, and concentrate on those; I was lucky enough to have parents who did this with me and pushed me to pursue my obsession with writing, which helped me to feel more positively about myself. Also if possible, helping her meet and form friendships with other Autistics her age can help her not feel alone and feel a sense of belonging.

Thanks, this sounds good.    Her passion is for drawing and we encourage that a lot.  As for meeting friends...I want to do that, but this is not a great time for it with the pandemic going on.

Goodluck Curl!
Hopefully it'll be great and help people. :)