By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Got invited to the give the keynote speech at an autism conference

Damn, that's awesome! As someone who works with autistic kids with overlapping diagnoses for a living, this makes me really happy. Best of luck to you, and keep on sharing your anecdotes and experiences on here, I always read them and enjoy them!



Around the Network

Congrats! I have two cousins on the spectrum and I know how life can be hard for them sometimes, althoigh they are sucessful people. If there is one thing I would say is how important it is to have a diagnosis. Once you understand you have a condition its easier to seek help if necessary and also makes you understand much better the world around you and how to live in it.



NightlyPoe said:
curl-6 said:

If anyone else here on the spectrum would like to weigh in on issues they think I should raise or mention, I'd love to hear your advice/input. :)

Philosophical question:  If I listed a dozen autism jokes to help you break the ice, would that make me a good person or a bad person?

It wouldn't make you either. But if your heart is in the right place, I'd say it's a good thing to do.

But, if Curl agrees, that's something better done in PM. Even if Curl is ok with it, that could be potentially upsetting to other users who are or have loved ones on the spectrum. Everyone has different senses of humor, and when dealing with a topic like this, we should definitely err on the side of caution. 



Thanks heaps for all the kind words guys!

JWeinCom said:
NightlyPoe said:

Philosophical question:  If I listed a dozen autism jokes to help you break the ice, would that make me a good person or a bad person?

It wouldn't make you either. But if your heart is in the right place, I'd say it's a good thing to do.

But, if Curl agrees, that's something better done in PM. Even if Curl is ok with it, that could be potentially upsetting to other users who are or have loved ones on the spectrum. Everyone has different senses of humor, and when dealing with a topic like this, we should definitely err on the side of caution. 

I was unsure how to respond to that post, but I think this is probably the best solution.

EnricoPallazzo said:
Congrats! I have two cousins on the spectrum and I know how life can be hard for them sometimes, althoigh they are sucessful people. If there is one thing I would say is how important it is to have a diagnosis. Once you understand you have a condition its easier to seek help if necessary and also makes you understand much better the world around you and how to live in it.

Great advice; speaking for myself, diagnosis made a world of difference. I didn't get one until I was 19, and before that I got no support and was endlessly frustrated with myself for not thinking or feeling the way the people around me did. Getting an answer was like having a blindfold taken off.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 06 October 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

Thanks heaps for all the kind words guys!

JWeinCom said:

It wouldn't make you either. But if your heart is in the right place, I'd say it's a good thing to do.

But, if Curl agrees, that's something better done in PM. Even if Curl is ok with it, that could be potentially upsetting to other users who are or have loved ones on the spectrum. Everyone has different senses of humor, and when dealing with a topic like this, we should definitely err on the side of caution. 

I was unsure how to respond to that post, but I think this is probably the best solution.

EnricoPallazzo said:
Congrats! I have two cousins on the spectrum and I know how life can be hard for them sometimes, althoigh they are sucessful people. If there is one thing I would say is how important it is to have a diagnosis. Once you understand you have a condition its easier to seek help if necessary and also makes you understand much better the world around you and how to live in it.

Great advice; speaking for myself, diagnosis made a world of difference. I didn't get one until I was 19, and before that I got no support and was endlessly frustrated with myself for not thinking or feeling the way the people around me did. Getting an answer was like having a blindfold taken off.

Glad to help. I once asked my cousing if he didnt think it was bad to be labeling so many people as autists as in his case he's got a great job, a house, 2 kids etc so he could be considered "normal", if he didnt feel like it wasnt necessary. In his words he said "no it was amazing, it was like being released from prision because know I can understand why people are like they are and why my reactions are not understood sometimes. Also helps me to deal with the world in a much easier way because now I know how it works".

I hope you can give a great speech, nice work.



Around the Network

Good luck and congrats.



 

EnricoPallazzo said:
curl-6 said:

Thanks heaps for all the kind words guys!

I was unsure how to respond to that post, but I think this is probably the best solution.

Great advice; speaking for myself, diagnosis made a world of difference. I didn't get one until I was 19, and before that I got no support and was endlessly frustrated with myself for not thinking or feeling the way the people around me did. Getting an answer was like having a blindfold taken off.

Glad to help. I once asked my cousing if he didnt think it was bad to be labeling so many people as autists as in his case he's got a great job, a house, 2 kids etc so he could be considered "normal", if he didnt feel like it wasnt necessary. In his words he said "no it was amazing, it was like being released from prision because know I can understand why people are like they are and why my reactions are not understood sometimes. Also helps me to deal with the world in a much easier way because now I know how it works".

I hope you can give a great speech, nice work.

Thanks man!

The way I look at it, we all get labelled anyway. I'd rather be labelled as Autistic and be understood than be labeled rude, lazy, oversensitive and annoying.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Congrats.

My advice to you is, read some of DarkLord2008 (forgot if this is the exact username) posts from here. Then use those things as example of how u can get stuck in self pity about autism and how not to get in that situation.



 

 

Congrats on being invited to be the keynote speaker!

I have a 12-year old daughter who is on the spectrum. I don't have any advice though. I still trying to figure this whole thing out myself. I am definitely willing to take advice if you have any.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 06 October 2020

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Congrats on being invited to be the keynote speaker!

I have a 12-year old daughter who is on the spectrum. I don't have any advice though. I still trying to figure this whole thing out myself. I am definitely willing to take advice if you have any.

Thank you. :)

While it depends on the person and the form of their autism, generally speaking I would say the most important thing is to figure out her Autistic strengths and passions, and concentrate on those; I was lucky enough to have parents who did this with me and pushed me to pursue my obsession with writing, which helped me to feel more positively about myself. Also if possible, helping her meet and form friendships with other Autistics her age can help her not feel alone and feel a sense of belonging.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.