By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Post Your Mind 2.0 and Welcome to our humble abode

curl-6 said:
d21lewis said:
My cousin/role model/best friend passed away in 2016 and I STILL find myself buying games and cool stuff for him to check out whenever he eventually comes to visit. 😥

Sorry for your loss man. I know the feeling, 12 years after my Dad passed away I still find myself thinking "I wonder what he'll think of the new Star Trek" or "man Dad's gonna love this new band I found". I try to think of it as a good sign that they still live on so vividly in our hearts.

That's a good way of looking at it. Thank you. 

Around the Network

The "Ring of Steel" (Quarantine) on my city finally lifts today, and next weekend I'll be able to see my Mum and step-Dad for the first time in more than 5 months, and do all those normal little things like dinner, a movie, and just hanging out as a family that we haven't been able to do in months. I've really missed them.

A friend of mine from high school committed suicide yesterday. It was so unexpected; she'd fought depression on and off for several years but never mentioned ending her life and didn't seem any worse off than usual.

She left behind three young kids; just the day before she posted photos of herself with them to Facebook. I've been looking at those photos, wondering if when she took them she'd decided to end it. 

I've had friends and family members pass away before from illness and accidents, but this is the first time somebody I've known well has killed themselves. It doesn't feel real. I know it's not my fault and there is probably nothing I or anyone else could've done to stop it, but I still feel like I should've noticed some hint as to what was coming.

I suck at job interviews...

I'm mostly a lurker now.

Verter said:

It must be in your head, because you present yourself well here, which shows you have the capability... I get it though. EVERYONE wants grandiose answers, even ****ing McDonalds. I think people with half a brain can be off-put by the banality of job interview questions.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

To anyone having a hardtime. I’m having a hardtime too. We shall overcome. God is with us.
I want to say....I don’t know. I feel your pain. And I appreciate something, that’s in here. It is abstract.

It is raining outside, yet I don’t feel cleansed.

I think I feel this way because I have not been in company with myself. I think I need to slow down and pause for awhile. Minimize the impressions that I pick up from external things.

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

Verter said:

I think we all feel that way, I'm sure you did better than it feels like you did.

axumblade said:

Seasonal depression. SO out of town until after Christmas. Roommate going out of town for 3 days. Isolating from friends due to the virus...what could possibly go wrong?

Sorry to hear. We're hear for you man; you can always post here or even message me if you ever need to vent.

Remember, the darkness never lasts; eventually, the sun will rise again.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 18 December 2020

axumblade said:

Seasonal depression. SO out of town until after Christmas. Roommate going out of town for 3 days. Isolating from friends due to the virus...what could possibly go wrong?

Something that worked for me in a time when I needed it was gaming. That can be a good way to keep your mind busy and focused on something that's not real life for a few hours each day.

COKTOE said:

It must be in your head, because you present yourself well here, which shows you have the capability... I get it though. EVERYONE wants grandiose answers, even ****ing McDonalds. I think people with half a brain can be off-put by the banality of job interview questions.

Writing and speaking are two entirely different worlds to me. The first has marked my whole life, it was my calling since I was a teen, so with time I've become skilled in writing in Spanish and, thanks to my (rusted) studies in Translation, I have the possibility to try to extrapolate that to English as best as I can.

But, when it comes to speaking (even in my own language), it's like I was trying to communicate in Elvish. It's hard for me to answer accordingly, especially because sometimes I'm not sure about the intentions of the other person. That applies to almost every social interaction, but it's even worse when there's something at stake.

Also, you aren't too far off... My brain actually disconnected for a couple of seconds at some point (which didn't help much) and the interview was for a part-time job at Burger King. I know it's a crappy job, but I want to be independent again no matter what, while also self-publishing one of my books, saving enough money to do the same with other books in the future and keeping up with my projects as a writer and a wannabe indie game developer (I have studies of that too). If this or any other crappy job gave me all that, I'd be happy enough, at least for the time being.

curl-6 said:

I think we all feel that way, I'm sure you did better than it feels like you did.

I hope so, but on my way home I was thinking that I should've given different answers and, on top of that, I realized too late that I forgot to give the interviewer the documents they asked. They weren't necessary, but I bet they took that omission into account. I tried to contact them several times later, but I had no luck. All in all, I'm not feeling positive about this interview, but the only thing I can do now is waiting, so that's what I'll do. Waiting, while thinking ahead.

I'm mostly a lurker now.

We wrapped up online mentoring this past week, and one of the kids I wasn't sure we were having much of an impact on said in the last session how much they liked getting to meet others like themselves for the first time.

This often seems to happen, the ones you're least sure you're doing any good are in fact benefitting a lot more than you might realize.

BasilZero said:

Job interviews suck period no matter how good you talk or not.

There's multiple aspects to it (and imo luck plays a major role) and its tough if you are trying to find a job for the first time in a new field.

I went through so many looking for my first job in IT when I was still in college and even after graduating back in 2015 - couldn't keep a count.

I got lucky four years ago (though the job had me go through 5 interviews just to get it).

My wife had a similar experience especially for someone who just came to the US recently and never worked - trying to get used to the culture and the language is still an ongoing process but thankfully she got in through a connection we had from our church.

Networking is important too (though it didnt help me much cause I didnt take it seriously back then haha) - you might want to get in with a organization which works around your field like for an example IEEE (for engineers, IT, etc). They can steer you towards the right path like getting certifications, getting acquainted with a company/official, etc.

Keep applying, dont worry about the qualifications/requirements (like 2-10 years experience or w/e) in the description, those are there just to steer away people so they could get the best candidates.

Like for an example, the job I am currently working at had a requirement of 5 years of IT experience which I never had any prior to working there but I still managed to get the job.

Its all luck and good timing, just keep trying and dont give up.

Thank you for all the advice! Regarding the qualifications, I apply to jobs with requirements I don't meet, but they don't even contact me.

Apart from that, I'm not the type of guy who gives up, but I need to find a good balance in my life: on one hand, the majority of jobs that appeal to me in my fields would seriously compromise the amount of time I could dedicate to my other projects (which are of extreme importance to me); on the other hand, I can't afford to be selective. So in the end I opted for kind of a 50-50: while I search for a quality job that would also give me that balance that I want and need, I apply to any other jobs that would give me something similar to that, but putting immediacy over quality.

Bold: job interviews suck, that's for sure.

I'm mostly a lurker now.