By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Peter Parker in PS5 remaster seems to have been changed to look more like Tom Holland

Dat dislike ratio

https://youtu.be/-i5tTKSbePI

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Seems to me we have a few users suffering from prosopagnosia. I didn't play the first one and just came into the other thread that mentioned the remaster and instantly identified Tom Holland and didn't realize that Tom had been used as the model for the first game. Of course, that was just me not realizing that the Peter Parker model had been changed for the remaster. Those of you saying he doesn't look like Holland, ok...maybe they didn't exactly capture Tom Holland, but I'd chalk that up to them having tried and failed to get it exactly right rather than them just randomly designing a character that looks almost exactly like Tom Holland.

ArchangelMadzz said:
He doesn't look like Tom Holland but he looks much younger and it doesn't really fit with him having been spiderman for a while. He looks like he's 1/2 years deep. Not a fan of the change.

Well apparently Insomniac's spiderman is 23 years old.

His new face does look closer to 23 years old. Just odd, wish they just had this face from the beginning.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

super_etecoon said:
Seems to me we have a few users suffering from prosopagnosia. I didn't play the first one and just came into the other thread that mentioned the remaster and instantly identified Tom Holland and didn't realize that Tom had been used as the model for the first game. Of course, that was just me not realizing that the Peter Parker model had been changed for the remaster. Those of you saying he doesn't look like Holland, ok...maybe they didn't exactly capture Tom Holland, but I'd chalk that up to them having tried and failed to get it exactly right rather than them just randomly designing a character that looks almost exactly like Tom Holland.

Source on holland being the model?

But assuming if he was, then that's kind of the problem. It's like the Avengers game. When they look sort of like the MCU actors, but not like them, it's an uncanny valley effect where it just looks off. Better for them to just look totally distinct.

JWeinCom said:
super_etecoon said:

But assuming if he was, then that's kind of the problem. It's like the Avengers game. When they look sort of like the MCU actors, but not like them, it's an uncanny valley effect where it just looks off. Better for them to just look totally distinct.

They got a new model, Ben Jordan and modeled Peter Parker after him.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/esports/spider-man-remastered-ps5-ben-jordan-peter-parker-new-amazing-spider-man-suit

Around the Network
hinch said:
JWeinCom said:

https://www.sportskeeda.com/esports/spider-man-remastered-ps5-ben-jordan-peter-parker-new-amazing-spider-man-suit

It might have been a likeness rights contract thing, although I kind of don't see why they wouldn't have anticipated a remaster in 2018. Still, I think they just should have kept it as is. 

JWeinCom said:
super_etecoon said:

I'm sorry if my stream-of-consciousness explanation for how I interpreted the images was vague or misleading.  I don't mean at all that Holland was the model. I just meant that based on the image (of the remaster) I had mistakenly thought that Holland must have been the model for the original game.  Again, I've never played Spiderman or really even watched any video or viewed any images.  It was just my way of saying, even without the context of this thread, my mind instantly went to Holland.

And yes, for those saying that it doesn't look like Holland. It doesn't look "exactly" like him, which has more to do with the limitations of development and not the intent of the developer.

JWeinCom said:
hinch said:

It might have been a likeness rights contract thing, although I kind of don't see why they wouldn't have anticipated a remaster in 2018. Still, I think they just should have kept it as is. 

The news article on the front page says they made the change because it matches Yuri's VA better.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

JWeinCom said:

Well yeah I think they wanted a younger looking Peter and this guy has quite similar qualities to Tom Holland. I always thought 2018 version looked a bit too old but I guess people who have played the game already have gotten used to the original one and see him as Spiderman.

Having only played a couple of hours of the game I never really liked look of Peter Parker and waaay prefer this one. I don't really care for the change tbh but it works for me. In saying that, I can see why some really dislike the change.

twintail said:
He was changed to look closer to the VA. You could have just read the announcement on the psblog

The VGchartz news article on the front page  also mentions that.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot