By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gaming's Big Crunch. Who is being bought next?

Tagged games:

The_Liquid_Laser said:
I think Nintendo should wait just a few more years and then buy some Western companies. If nothing else the dollar keeps gettin weaker relative to the yen. This keeps hurting Nintendo (and Sony) when they sell products in the US and then convert the money to yen. However, it becomes a benefit when Nintendo is buying, like buying a big Western company. They basically get it on sale. Also Nintendo is sitting on a huge mountain of cash that only seems to be growing.

I think a really good buy for them would be EA in the 2023-2025 time period. Nintendo systems lack big sports titles, so they would benefit a lot from having Madden and FIFA as exclusives.

FIFA isn't allowed to be exclusive afaik and EA's market cap is ~$40bn.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Let me just say, I know a very specific gaming company who is currently BACK ....

They make the best games around, and they just announced an exclusive for Switch a few days ago. You might have heard of them.

I was thinking the same thing, dood.

SanAndreasX said:
Let me just say, I know a very specific gaming company who is currently BACK ....

They make the best games around, and they just announced an exclusive for Switch a few days ago. You might have heard of them.

It was a double entendre, you got the NIS joke, you win the internet for today. 

Nintendo has billions in the bank. They really should buy up a publisher or two. I could see Nintendo buying Sega. I don't think Nintendo would buy Capcom. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Capcom publishes far more demanding games in terms of specs and online infrastructure. That would make it tough for them to only put games on Switch and future Nintendo platforms.
All this to say, I don't want a ton of buyouts at all. Corporations getting larger and larger is usually an issue. But buyouts are inevitable.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:
Nintendo has billions in the bank. They really should buy up a publisher or two. I could see Nintendo buying Sega. I don't think Nintendo would buy Capcom. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Capcom publishes far more demanding games in terms of specs and online infrastructure. That would make it tough for them to only put games on Switch and future Nintendo platforms.
All this to say, I don't want a ton of buyouts at all. Corporations getting larger and larger is usually an issue. But buyouts are inevitable.

A Nintendo-Capcom partnership would probably benefit Nintendo in helping them to upgrade their infrastructure and specs. Nintendo has worked pretty well with Capcom in the past, and all of Capcom's properties have established histories in the Nintendo ecosystem.  Nintendo and Sega would be interesting too. We'd probably get a new Valkyria Chronicles out of it, lol, given Nintendo's penchant for reviving off-beat properties.

I could see Nintendo bankrolling a proper Breath of Fire sequel and Monolithsoft helping Capcom out.

I agree with you, I don't actually want to see all these big buyouts, but if Sony and Microsoft are going to do it, Nintendo should get on board as well and grab their share of the market. 

Around the Network
SanAndreasX said:

It was a double entendre, you got the NIS joke, you win the internet for today. 

Since we're apparently going into an era where the big game companies are just gobbling up everybody else, this would be a bona fide good investment for both companies. NIS was really struggling just a few years ago, but they've made enough money on the Switch to where they're able to be the US licensee for a lot of smaller Japanese studios like Falcom. That's why NIS goes through the trouble of porting Falcom games to Switch. And Nintendo can always stand to bring more good content into its stable. 

I look forward when there are actually only 5 companies controlling all of the market, Activision, EA, MS, Sony and Nintendo. What a great day that will be.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
I look forward when there are actually only 5 companies controlling all of the market, Activision, EA, MS, Sony and Nintendo. What a great day that will be.

Pretty sure Microsoft has tried to talk to Bobby Kotick and Andrew Wilson about buying them out. The only reason that might not happen is that Activision is big enough that its price tag would be enough to make even Microsoft's shareholders scream bloody murder. 

axumblade said:
Sega. They can make M-rated titles for Nintendo and bring back the saying "Sega does what Nintendon't"

Persona/SMT and Yakuza would be a good investment for Nintendo's stable of IPs, and Nintendo would own Bayonetta outright. 

And Nintendo would have more characters for Smash and Mario Kart that they no longer have to pay licensing fees for. 

Wman1996 said:

Yeah, Capcom is not gonna be a smart purchase for Nintendo IMO, because correct me if I'm wrong, but the biggest Capcom games in terms of revenue are those that are not coming to Switch. Currently, Capcom's biggest upcoming game is RE8, I suppose and it is not coming to Switch. Nintendo should focus on other game developers who are closer to Switch than Capcom is if they plan to make a purchase of some game developer. On the other hand, don't see that much of a reason to do so. It's not like Nintendo has some issues with their gaming output. So, what's the point in spending all this huge sums of money.