By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gaming's Big Crunch. Who is being bought next?

Tagged games:

derpysquirtle64 said:
Wman1996 said:
Nintendo has billions in the bank. They really should buy up a publisher or two. I could see Nintendo buying Sega. I don't think Nintendo would buy Capcom. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Capcom publishes far more demanding games in terms of specs and online infrastructure. That would make it tough for them to only put games on Switch and future Nintendo platforms.
All this to say, I don't want a ton of buyouts at all. Corporations getting larger and larger is usually an issue. But buyouts are inevitable.

Yeah, Capcom is not gonna be a smart purchase for Nintendo IMO, because correct me if I'm wrong, but the biggest Capcom games in terms of revenue are those that are not coming to Switch. Currently, Capcom's biggest upcoming game is RE8, I suppose and it is not coming to Switch. Nintendo should focus on other game developers who are closer to Switch than Capcom is if they plan to make a purchase of some game developer. On the other hand, don't see that much of a reason to do so. It's not like Nintendo has some issues with their gaming output. So, what's the point in spending all this huge sums of money.

But Nintendo does have a close relationship with Capcom, and RE has a solid history on Nintendo systems. RE8 could be a launch for Switch 2. Monster Hunter is also huge on Nintendo consoles. Capcom has even helped develop Nintendo IPs. There are few third parties out there with whom Nintendo has as close a relationship as Capcom.

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 21 September 2020

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
I think Nintendo should wait just a few more years and then buy some Western companies. If nothing else the dollar keeps gettin weaker relative to the yen. This keeps hurting Nintendo (and Sony) when they sell products in the US and then convert the money to yen. However, it becomes a benefit when Nintendo is buying, like buying a big Western company. They basically get it on sale. Also Nintendo is sitting on a huge mountain of cash that only seems to be growing.

I think a really good buy for them would be EA in the 2023-2025 time period. Nintendo systems lack big sports titles, so they would benefit a lot from having Madden and FIFA as exclusives.

FIFA isn't allowed to be exclusive afaik and EA's market cap is ~$40bn.

Didn't know FIFA isn't allowed to be exclusive.  That would make EA a bad buy.  As for the $40bn, read my whole post.  There is a reason why I said 2023-2025.  This wouldn't be a good time for a big Western acquisition, but in a few years it would be a good time.  If FIFA can't be exclusive, then they should find another big Western company or two that would fill in some gaps for their first party games.  Those Western companies will very much be "on sale" in a few years for a successful Japanese company like Nintendo.

Its all game unless its Nintendo that does it and wallgardens someone like SEGA. I need my Persona, Yakuza and quirky games like Catherine in my life.

At the very least.. my games on PC are safe, for now.